• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Best starting strat?

Like all other civ games it is all about building settlers as fast as you can. You might need some protection as well but there is usually no problem to leave a city unguarded in the beginning. There are several benefits of having many cities. First you can do everything faster, researching, building armies, etc. But also you gain a defensive advantage since you have the most land and the computer players need to attack to win the game. It is always cheaper to be the defender.

To all the people suggesting a Scout as the first build: Keep in mind that you can't train scouts off the bat if your civilization doesn't start with the Hunting technology. In such a case, is it better to go straight for the Barracks and allow some production growth while Hunting is developed or produce a warrior and use that for exploration instead (hoping for woodsman promotion)?

It's largely dependant on the map.

For the worker-first-chop crew, what do you do if you start with lots of flood plains and only a couple acres of woods?

I play on epic-large/huge maps, so getting the second city ASAP doesn't matter too much. Most games I tend to go warrior-warrior-warrior-settler-worker. By the time I settle my second and third cities, I have a worker that can improve the two cities, a unit to cover the worker and/or settler, and another to light up other city sites.

I've had games where warriors were killed by critters, where barbarian axeman wreaked havoc on my core, never scored any gold from huts, gone bankrupt due to rapid expansion, etc etc etc.

Seems to me how you play the game is largely depandant on the map/civ traits unless you restart over and over in order to find a start that matches your optimal strategy. Nothing wrong with that at all, really, but then if you do that it gets kind of formulaic.

Anyway. Have fun! :goodjob:

Make a worker first. Improving tiles is extremely important, and it does not pay to wait for city size 2 to make a worker. If your civ and location permits, research animal husbandry first and erect a pasture when your worker is completed.

Usually I make settlers at size 2. In general I choose how many settlers I want my capitol to make in a row then determine what city size will result in the last settler being completed the quickest. I think minizimizing the turn of the last capitol settler is better than minimizing the turn of the first capitol settler since how quickly your secondary cities make settlers, if they even do make any, is almost irrelevant for the ancient era.

DarkSchneider said:
Well, I think the decision whether to build the worker or settler first would depend on how much you can improve your terrain, and what imrpovements you can build. If you are able to build roads and either farms or mines, you can definately speed the production of the settler by improving the squares your city uses.

I honestly can't think of any situation where I'd build my first settler before my first worker.

Barracks are not my starting strats..

usually ever since civ 3 ived been starting with

warriors -> workers -> settlers -> scouts -> barracks -> granary -> settlers and then rotationing until i have enough cities to grow more

the 6 most important starting routine ived been practising ever since

i normally go with scout -> scout -> worker -> scout -> settler -> the oracle

I'm not a fan of the worker-chop strat myself.

I like warrior-warrrior (while researching mysticism/polytheism). 90% of the time I can get Hinduism that way. Start working on Stonehenge while warriors explore: I normally gather $100-$200 this way and possibly a technology. This lets me keep my technology slider at 100% for pretty much the whole early game...I can float -$2-$4 for quite a while with that $100-$200 bankroll. Sometimes I get behind and have to lower it to 90% around 1 AD if I expand too much.

Then I let Stonehenge build for a very few turns until the city hits size 3. Then I chuck out a worker while getting Bronze Working. Worker then chops 1 forest to finish settler in like 3-4 turns.

After this I go frequently go for another settler, or sometimes I finish Stonehenge instead. I'm still figuring it out from there, depends on the map.

well i'm fresh off the boat, so i'm more trying to formulate my own strategy than help others, but wouldn't you want to get a worker out asap to rush other things? You'd have to get bronze working, and after that i try to get a religion right after. At least at noble, the AI doesn't really attack, so i don't get archery or pump out extra warriors. So i guess i do something like:

worker > and then i'm confused.

It all depends on your immediate surroundings, but when you say that, try to specify them and what you would do in that situation, I'm really trying to get a sense of what to do in the beginning, because i always feel lost. I've noticed a serious no-no is making a settler first, it takes 17 turns if you don't have your city on a hammer, which i go for now, but it still takes forever.

Depends on the start, and the starting techs of the civ. But generally worker/warrior-to-size-2/worker/settler/barracks/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman.......

The production benefits of having those early workers out making 4+ food/production squares ASAP as well as giving you those vital hammers from chopping right when they're most deliciously beneficial cannot be overstated. And the ability to get that boost right from the start in any new cities is equally fundamental. Not to mention the necessity of early resource/military roads. And yeah I find it generally much better to chop for my early production (except for an early warrior to get to size 2). The only time I'd consider a non-worker start would be if I had fishing and a seafood resource - but the worker would still come straight after the work boat.

And yeah, I'd rather settle a solid second city than an ultra-early second city - I want to know where the copper is (or isn't) before my second site. This incarnation of civ is (to me) the most forgiving of waiting to build your second city (as long as you can claim your copper or horses, of course!). Besides, it gives the AIs longer to build your third and fourth cities for you.

I usually build a warrior, a worker, another warrior (or archer if I have the tech) and then a settler. I might build a scout around then too, it depends. Sometimes I'm lucky and get another warrior from a goody hut. I try to find the best place for the 2nd city while the worker improves the land around the first.

Another thing that has paid off for me in recent games is the Great Wall. Its so much easier to build up my first few cities when the barbarian can't walk up to the door.

Depends on the start, and the starting techs of the civ. But generally worker/warrior-to-size-2/worker/settler/barracks/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman.......

The production benefits of having those early workers out making 4+ food/production squares ASAP as well as giving you those vital hammers from chopping right when they're most deliciously beneficial cannot be overstated. And the ability to get that boost right from the start in any new cities is equally fundamental. Not to mention the necessity of early resource/military roads. And yeah I find it generally much better to chop for my early production (except for an early warrior to get to size 2). The only time I'd consider a non-worker start would be if I had fishing and a seafood resource - but the worker would still come straight after the work boat.

And yeah, I'd rather settle a solid second city than an ultra-early second city - I want to know where the copper is (or isn't) before my second site. This incarnation of civ is (to me) the most forgiving of waiting to build your second city (as long as you can claim your copper or horses, of course!). Besides, it gives the AIs longer to build your third and fourth cities for you.

Wow. I just had to quote this because it is so exactly right. I think I often put out my settler before the second worker, and often finish the mostly-built warrior for fogbusting, but if those are my biggest differences (and yes, of course, it depends on the specifics, etc, but overwhelmingly).
/barracks/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman/axeman.......
depending on proximity, of course, but if someone is close enough to kill it makes me happy.

peace,
lilnev

p.s. to gyvulys624: Welcome to the forums! :king: :shifty: :king:

well i'm fresh off the boat, so i'm more trying to formulate my own strategy than help others, but wouldn't you want to get a worker out asap to rush other things?

Often. Not always. Worker asap is a great way to begin if you have enough to keep the worker busy, and if you don't have to worry about a human opponent wandering into your undefended city.

Note that worker asap doesn't necessarily mean worker first.

Also, for civs that start with Mysticism, Fishing, or Hunting, worker first is basically fighting with one tech tied behind your back.

The Cuban Isolationists are a couple of good players, put out their first worker in... 2120 BC.

That's a bit deep, but they certainly ended up with an interesting game.

(Sulla is also a big fan of worker chop worker in multiplayer. Horses for courses.)

Ya its interesting to know what Sulla and others do, but seriously it doesn't help that much because you can't begin to compare us. But I think I'm gonna go with the warrior at first now, because it does give me more security / helps explore a bit. I've been gettin lucky in MP and the goody huts have been throwing techs at me, and then my score goes up, and it looks like i know what i'm doing :p

So we all know what to build first, we got 2 pages in this 1 thread alone, but my next problems are emerging.
What should i focus on w/ that worker? production, growth, etc.

I notice that if i focus on growth my city gets too crowded, and i'm not sure how to fix it. I know starving the city works, but there has to be another way.

So i never know what to do with my worker, and i know automation doesn't always do the right thing, so i'm tryin to do something but its not helping. Other than that, what are the priorities in research?

Playing obviously helps figure these out, but for some reason it seems the more i play the more i'm confused, because i see different strategies and ideas and i'm confused. :confused: :cry: :confused:

So we all know what to build first, we got 2 pages in this 1 thread alone, but my next problems are emerging.
What should i focus on w/ that worker? production, growth, etc.

I notice that if i focus on growth my city gets too crowded, and i'm not sure how to fix it. I know starving the city works, but there has to be another way.
There is! It's called "beating your people to death until they make nice stuff for you"! It's great!

But how you use your worker(s) depends a lot on where you start, what worker techs you've got researched, etc etc. In the very start, maximising food and production is your friend (your palace gives you so much commerce that focusing on maximising commerce right at the very start is - gold or gem mine excepted - rarely a worthwhile move). You probably want one high-food square that will grow you to size 2 ASAP (so you probably want to prioritise researching the tech that lets you exploit any food special you have - although husbandry can maybe wait a bit), and then really, you're best off improving those squares that will give you the max food/production total. Food gives you more people who can switch to high-production squares, or who can just be whipped to build stuff, so increasing food crudely equates to increasing production. For building settlers and workers, it directly equates (unless you're imperialistic or expansionist).
In between, chopping down some forests (especially when you're building workers or settlers) will speed your production heaps. Riverside grasslands and hills forests are your best candidates for the chop.
And when you've got the basics set up, roads to connect cities and resources and to lead up to the doorstep of a soon-to-be enemy (if you're into that sort of thing) are pretty important.

Once you've got the basic foundations set up, that's when i reckon you should start thinking more about finessing the specific future direction of cities - building cottages etc for commerce cities and so on, farms and mines for production cities, whatever.

So i never know what to do with my worker, and i know automation doesn't always do the right thing, so i'm tryin to do something but its not helping. Other than that, what are the priorities in research?
It's hard to go wrong prioritising bronze working first, even if only for the slavery and the chopping (and the mines you get on the way). The production benefits are really enormous. You may want to pick up a relevant food tech first though if you don't have the right one for your resources. Beyond that, the wheel and pottery come pretty soon after.
Then it really depends on what you're doing in terms of military etc, but beelining alphabet is generally a pretty decent choice.
Of course this all differs if you decide to go the early religion route, but I don't really know much about all that.

Dude, I don't know how to play the Japs.

It was with Catherine + 5 turns to move the capital + the pyramids that made me fully able keep up with the AI.

Basically use 1-2 workers to chop rush the pyramids, then switch to representation and research Drama.

Intersting discovery I was able to defeat the top civlization whom had SAM/Artillery/Infantry with just catepults and cossacks. :crazyeye:

But sorry, I don't have the save anymore. :(

Here was my reasearch route to keep up: Alphabet --> Drama --> Music --> Philosophy --> Military Tradition --> Radio.
Did you do this once or is it a consistent win strategy? On Emperor getting pyramids is no garantee, on immortal it'll be more difficult. Worker soon is a good strat i think but only when you grow to 2 in your capital and you have something todo (so researching bronze wokring first then chop heavily). I always seem to get a coast start as Ghandi. In this case Fishing then Bronzeworking is usually the best start.

Why?,because the timing is great, research fishing start warrior, then go bronzeworking, finish warrior and most of first workboat. after Bronzeworking you build your first workboat pretty soon and you can immediately whip the second.Besides enough food this gives you 4 extra research points so you get all the other techs a little bit sooner (factor 1.3-1.5). It's also in keeping with the fact that on high levels it's difficult to defend small scattered cities (apart from the cost of this cities) so getting a good capital economy is important here. After 2 workboats the worker and subsequent settlers are not that expensive anymore so this is the time to build them.

I think a fish start is a poor start, i often wish i had a start with gold or gems but as Ghandi i never seem to get this(Of course if you get a start with Gold/gems your first priority is to work them asap). At least if the fishing start is in tundra there is a reasonable chance of silver, furs or marble, all higly valuable of course.

As Futurehermit says: you should try to get alphabet 1000 bc on emperor. You need one gold mountain or gems mine to do that i think(or give up growth in some cities to get 2 scientists at work). If you have no other resource than fish you get it around 100 bc (which is too late on emperor for trade value) if you don't work the fish. Working the fish early lets you get it around 600 bc when it still has trade value. At least this is my experience sofar.

It's in keeping with something Acydsatyr said: work your resources (then think of what else todo). If it is fish research fishing first. There is one extra advantage in fish: It's save from the barbs till +/- 1 ad.

From your Tech tree i particularly like your going for Drama after alphabet, better than code of laws in my opinion, it helps with the happiness, has very good trade value and enables Philosophy. Code of laws also has it's benefit but trade value is minimal because most of the AI's have it. Drama is always a cash cow bringing in more money than a shrine over the lifetime of a game.

The strategy I use on huge map, 18 civs, raging barb, aggressive AI, immortal difficulty.

warrior-->warrior-->worker-->worker-->worker-->settler--> stonehenge or pyramid if I have stone

Of course I only play on maps with lots forest around starting loc.

These are not friendly settings :lol:. So you're entitled to your lots of forests.
Stupid question probably: How do i get 18 civs on my map, i always seem to get a fixed number of 11?

Top Bottom