1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Units?

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by Evil Beejeebers, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Evil Beejeebers

Evil Beejeebers Warlord

Does anyone let the AI make their units? I find I have too much variety when I let the AI take control.

What some of your favourites to make?

where do you feel you get good bang for your buck?

2. Agent Miles

Agent Miles Chieftain

I make a Rover with best weapon and heavy artillery. A group of these can move 5 tiles on a road and still bombard a threat two tiles away with no counter-attack. (Unless the target is a warship or artillery.)

For base defense, infantry with best shielding, AAA and police powers.

Finally, a rover with best weapon. These 3 work together to defeat ground threats.

A cruiser with probe team is good for infiltrating. I use one against each faction so that I can Know my Foe. I've even made a base and given it to a distant faction so that I could infiltrate it.

I don't like conquering other faction bases, as most of these are crap. I make a gravship with clean reactor so that the design is cheap. I then pump them out and send them to destroy enemy tile improvements. I bomb them back to Mission Year One.

Check out my thread Less is More for an interesting strategy. Good Luck!

Here's a save game of how the above strategy looks with some of the units.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Evil Beejeebers likes this.
  3. Recon Rover

Recon Rover Warlord

Interesting. I don't play these types of small maps. I am curious what patch you are using or mod. I play with Yitzi's or Binary Dawn . I don't believe that Supply Crawler trick works anymore.

4. Agent Miles

Agent Miles Chieftain

From the Credits file:
    ;
    ; Sid Meier's ALPHA CENTAURI
    ;
    ; Credits
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 1997, 1998 by Firaxis Games, Inc.
    ;

I usually use a Standard map from, I believe, the original. So Supply Crawlers don't work anymore? In the Less is More thread, someone else tried this and said that it was okay.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. Recon Rover

Recon Rover Warlord

I suppose it depends partially on the amount of resources available in a map but generally in the mods I listed you are only to be supply crawling resources you need to move specifically to a base (or also possible) to gather beyond the zone of control of a base.

6. Arent11

Arent11 King

(1) Rovers
    (2) trance scout infantry
    (3) missile penetrators
    (4) mindworms
    (5) infantry with best weapon but no armor