[BETA] Rules of Engagement : Stalingrad

Cool, so does each unit act like a city in "claiming" the territory immediately around it as it moves? If so, how'd you make the units claim the territory as they move? It seems like a very cool feature that might be fun for other types of scenarios, too.

Thanks,
Joseph

yes, each unit is setting the territory around it as owned by the unit's player (hexes with another unit or city are not claimed, but those around the city itself are).

the territory is claimed at the end of the turn, so that units did not move only in friendly territory.

with (I hope) the inclusion of supply lines, and (almost done) retreat feature, it will allows some interesting moves... (especially for pvp when mods will be available in multi)

Very cool, I'll have to download this just to see how the claiming of territory works... what files should I look at?

Thanks,
joseph

2 functions in the RulesOfEngagement.lua file : UpdateFrontLine() and ChangeAdjacentPlotsOwner()

new version uploaded ! :D

with savegame fix and inclusion of the retreat function.

see first post for details, available in game mod browser and civfanatics database

Civ5 won't install this module for some reason. It creates the directory but leaves the civ5mod file in place and doesn't extract any files. Extracting the files manually with WinRAR works fine.

I think. We'll see. Can't wait to try this.

atm the online tool is makking my modbuddy crash after a few minutes... don't know if it's related. I've made the mod private waiting for a solution. Manual installation is possible, just extract the content of the mod files directly in the empty folder created.

note: the content is extracted by civ5, put in "...\AppData\Local\Temp\Civ5ModInstaller", but not copied in the folder after !

fixed by removing the ":" from the mod name... database link and ingame mod browser versions updated.

I'm very interested at this, especially the event stuff. Just downloaded, will have a look when I get back from work.

Besides, now with 1UPT and hexes civ can be used very well for these sorts of battle-scenarios :)

oups, sorry, I didn't thought of this one !

I'll put another check so that you can only retreat in owned city.

I love this, i've been waiting for a tactical map for Civ 5 ever since i played the horrible vanilla lol
One thing i noticed is that the area around Stalingrad; the factories and such still have the -33% def penalty, is this supposed to be like this?
Also another note, wasn't Stalingrad equally extensive on the east side of the river? (i could be wrong)

oups, sorry, I didn't thought of this one !

I'll put another check so that you can only retreat in owned city.

Captured the last Russian city with 3 turns to go :)

Very nicely balanced, I had a few "oh poop!" moments when I had just barely managed to capture a few cities, and boom huge masses of Russians everywhere.

hey Gedemon,

While in the SDK, can you change it so hit points is per unit?

Consider how robust the German bombers are. With all that AA and even the late fighters I've never lost 1, though when they get to 50% I do rest them (with a worker by for really quick healing).

The damage they do seems reasonable, but I'd guess are far more helpful than they were in 1942. You might be able to balance the strengths better, but just giving them only 15 hit points
would make them much more fragile.

well well well... seeing a mod like that call other big battles that were "siège"-like...

Verdun, dien bien phu, (some equivalant for usa vs vietnam), hiwo jima (taking an island from the ocean ... now that could be epic)
for verdun, can even make the mains fort as little cities...
antic? gimme the siège of Troie, syracuse...
medieval and rennaissance? jerusalem, of course (well, actually, the whole holy land), Vienna, and some other...
guess this could make good material for the actual game... till a MOO mod show up ;p

One thing i noticed is that the area around Stalingrad; the factories and such still have the -33% def penalty, is this supposed to be like this?
Also another note, wasn't Stalingrad equally extensive on the east side of the river? (i could be wrong)
mmm, no, check if another mod is activated, factory give + 50% defense (means +83factory -33tile)... What's in the combat preview ?

afaik the main city is west of the Volga.

Captured the last Russian city with 3 turns to go :)

Very nicely balanced, I had a few "oh poop!" moments when I had just barely managed to capture a few cities, and boom huge masses of Russians everywhere.
;)

hey Gedemon,

While in the SDK, can you change it so hit points is per unit?

Consider how robust the German bombers are. With all that AA and even the late fighters I've never lost 1, though when they get to 50% I do rest them (with a worker by for really quick healing).

The damage they do seems reasonable, but I'd guess are far more helpful than they were in 1942. You might be able to balance the strengths better, but just giving them only 15 hit points
would make them much more fragile.
nop, can't change the HP per units, must play on strenght and bonus/malus. I may add malus (against AA and fighters) to bomber then. And Russia should get Il2 at some point, diverting germans fighters to protect the panzers...

I'm working on my Giant Earth Map atm, but I'm noting all suggestions, and yes, I hope to finish this scenario (fix retreat, add supply lines), add some kind of victory check then maybe start work on another one...

something simple (to say) : check all units at turn start/end and any units which is not connected to a friendly city via friendly territory will get malus (can't heal, then attack/defense penalty if the supply line is not reopen after a few turns)

sure you can, just remember to give credit please :)

Top Bottom