Beyond Earth Factions

......how? Surely China or South Korea is better placed to do that? And how would it then gain control of the UK? Ask France and Germany to not interfere if they don't mind?

The assumption is that the Current top 10-20 powers are ruined (particularly high pop ones). So Australia/Central Asia are in a better position to be world powers than Germany, France, US, Japan, China, India, Russia, etc.

The idea is
1. N amount of time between now and "The Great Mistake"
2. Effect of "The Great Mistake" itself
3. Semi-Recovery period
4. The actual seeding

1,2,3 change things to make them less recognizable.

COPTIC CALIPHATE? This makes as big sense as saying 'Muslim Papal State' :p Copts are ex definitione CHRISTIANS :lol:

Makes so much sense. Next faction - Artica (Canada, Finland and Botswana)

The transhumanist era hasn't started yet in the universe of game.

:lol::lol: how did i miss that? :lol:

With what? Traveling FTL is 1 problem. Communicating FTL is another problem altogether.

What you're suggesting works like this:

1. Send question to Earth - best case scenario, it takes 4 years to get there.
2. Earth receives and analyzes question, then formulates answer - variable time here.
3. Earth sends answer back to you - best case scenario, it takes 4 years to get back to you.

In other words, in almost a decade's time, you probably answer it yourself anyway.
You need to read up on quantum entanglement and its possible application to future communications. :)

The assumption is that the Current top 10-20 powers are ruined (particularly high pop ones). So Australia/Central Asia are in a better position to be world powers than Germany, France, US, Japan, China, India, Russia, etc.

The idea is
1. N amount of time between now and "The Great Mistake"
2. Effect of "The Great Mistake" itself
3. Semi-Recovery period
4. The actual seeding

1,2,3 change things to make them less recognizable.

.....you think Australia is in a better position to be a world power than China in any circumstance whatsoever (sorry Aussies)?

And that is not the assumption. We have confirmation of a Brazilian faction (Brazil currently a middle power, outside top ten), US faction (superpower) and PanAsian (likely Southern Asia) faction. Brazil has 200 million people, South Asia the majority of people on Earth and the US nearly 300.

Even if you were correct, a conglomeration of Australia, Japan and the UK, led by Australia is an absurd concept

Where was Brazilia mentioned? I read on Gamespot about the first two only.

the PC gamer article had a line "Supremacy doesn't always mean military. So the civ with the more militaristic bent, which is Brazilia? may pick Supremacy, but they may not. Harmony would be just as good, Purity would be just as good as an expression of military strength."

Note that it was "Brazilia?," so the writer may have misheard the guy

:lol::lol: how did i miss that? :lol:

It was intentional... surely some future sect of Muslims could have a "Pope". (and Vice Versa..Christians supporting a "Caliph"... perhaps the Koran is a governmental document rather than religious and having Christians as the sole "interpreters" there of...reinterpreting the dhimmitude (spelling) to be paid to Christians rather than from them.)

You need to read up on quantum entanglement and its possible application to future communications. :)

Oh jeeze, not more of this QE for FTL communication nonsense again.

The only way that it's ever not worked in such a way that some believe its possible is essentially laser communication, which is not dependable over long distances - like multiple light years.

It was intentional... surely some future sect of Muslims could have a "Pope". (and Vice Versa..Christians supporting a "Caliph"... perhaps the Koran is a governmental document rather than religious and having Christians as the sole "interpreters" there of...reinterpreting the dhimmitude (spelling) to be paid to Christians rather than from them.)

.............what? So you think a future sect of Muslims would adopt the name of a Christian denomination, Christians follow a leader bearing a title which inherently means he claims leadership by virtue of his descent from Mohammed?

The Koran is a religious document, not a governmental, Christians are as likely to be the interpreter of the Koran as a snail is to outrace Usain Bolt

"reinterpreting the dhimmitude (spelling) to be paid to Christians rather than from them"

So bad, its not even wrong. So Christians, follow a Muslim leader in a Muslim state, are chosen by Muslims to interpret the Muslim holy document, which Muslims are VERY protective of, and they interpret it to read that Muslims need to pay Christians money? Wow. If you're trolling this is some masterful stuff

Oh I forgot, and then these Christians choose to name that state (Caliphate) after a denomination of Christianity. Do you know how absurd that is?

No offense man but this is the stupidest thing I have ever read on Civ Fanatics :D

Oh jeeze, not more of this QE for FTL communication nonsense again.
They have proved the theory is correct. And not only for pairs of photons, but multi-party.
Like I said; Read up on it. :)

the PC gamer article had a line "Supremacy doesn't always mean military. So the civ with the more militaristic bent, which is Brazilia? may pick Supremacy, but they may not. Harmony would be just as good, Purity would be just as good as an expression of military strength."

Note that it was "Brazilia?," so the writer may have misheard the guy

Thanks!

Yeah, the exactly name may be different, but it confirms a south american/brazilian faction, at least.

I guess we all would be shocked if Firaxis simply included 43 civilisations from BNW into BE

Poland can into space as well as Zulu

They have proved the theory is correct. And not only for pairs of photons, but multi-party.
Like I said; Read up on it. :)
That's not how it works. Yes, you can entangle photons and they when you observe them, they will collapse into opposite states - meaning both ends know what the other end sees.

But you cannot control how they collapse, meaning both ends get the exact same copy of... random gibberish. Now, this is invaluable for cryptography (you both get a perfect one-time pad that cannot be intercepted), but it's useless for transmitting information.

If we had found any possibility of FTL communication, either causality or relativity would crumble apart. So far, both stand very, very firmly.

If we had found any possibility of FTL communication, either causality or relativity would crumble apart. So far, both stand very, very firmly.
Actually both of those are "crumbling". Thats why we work on the Unified Field Theory.

EDIT; We are "kinda" off topic here, lets drop it?

I wish the factions would be similar to SMAC, like Gaians and Morgans, but if they're going to be based on actual modern civs then here's my list, with their possible links to previous civs:

- US (combo of Peacekeepers, Believers and Morganites)
- China (combo of Hive, University and Morganites)
- Russia (combo of Spartans and Hive)
- Brazil (Spartans, maybe combo with Gaians)
- Japan (University and maybe combo with Spartans or Gaians)
- EU (Peacekeepers, probable combo with Gaians)
- AU - African Union (Morganites)
- CAE - Coalition of Arab Emirates (combo of Believers and Morganites)

But what about the possibility of powerful non-state actors? I mean, if you look at SMAC, 3 of the factions are technically American factions, or at least representing a key tenet of America and they are the Believers, Peacekeepers and Morganites. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the factions are a mega-corporation and Greenpeace.

I wish the factions would be similar to SMAC, like Gaians and Morgans, but if they're going to be based on actual modern civs then here's my list, with their possible links to previous civs:

But what about the possibility of powerful non-state actors? I mean, if you look at SMAC, 3 of the factions are technically American factions, or at least representing a key tenet of America and they are the Believers, Peacekeepers and Morganites. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the factions are a mega-corporation and Greenpeace.

Well one is a mega-corporation (American Reclamation Corporation)

Greenpeace (although under another name) would be another good option.

In any case, the fact is when the Devs are putting together the factions, they can do whatever they want. (The Great Mistake could be a Zombie outbreak depending on how hard they want their Sci-Fi)

As for the culture.. wierdness look at Roman, Greek, and Christian culture interactions (throw in Jewish just to make it more interesting)

In reference to Krikkit's ideas with the whole Muslim pope thing, uh, yeah...

There's no reason for them to form such a denomination, because if I remember correctly Shiite Islam (based mainly in Iran) is already centralized to a degree around such a notion and Sunni Islam, which the majority of Muslims worldwide follow, is decentralized and they have no intention of centralizing power around any specific figure any time soon because of the wide distribution of Muslims worldwide (with the largest Muslim population in the world being in Indonesia, of all places) and no real predominant Muslim power. Even when the caliphates existed, the caliphs mainly dealt with secular matters leaving religion to the scholars (even though their rule was justified by religion) so there was no real combination of political and religious power in one figure like the Roman Catholic Pope or the Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch. The powers of both can be traced to the political structure, or an imitation of the political structure, of the Roman Empire, and the caliphates lacked this connection.

Also the major powers of the present haven't exactly collapsed it seems, they are just much weaker. If they had we wouldn't have Americans celebrating the launch in the trailer. Even though the American faction seems to be represented by a corporation, there must be an "America" for them to represent to call themselves the "American Reclamation Corporation".

India?

In reference to Krikkit's ideas with the whole Muslim pope thing, uh, yeah...

There's no reason for them to form such a denomination, because if I remember correctly Shiite Islam (based mainly in Iran) is already centralized to a degree around such a notion and Sunni Islam, which the majority of Muslims worldwide follow, is decentralized and they have no intention of centralizing power around any specific figure any time soon because of the wide distribution of Muslims worldwide (with the largest Muslim population in the world being in Indonesia, of all places) and no real predominant Muslim power. Even when the caliphates existed, the caliphs mainly dealt with secular matters leaving religion to the scholars (even though their rule was justified by religion) so there was no real combination of political and religious power in one figure like the Roman Catholic Pope or the Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch. The powers of both can be traced to the political structure, or an imitation of the political structure, of the Roman Empire, and the caliphates lacked this connection.

Also the major powers of the present haven't exactly collapsed it seems, they are just much weaker. If they had we wouldn't have Americans celebrating the launch in the trailer. Even though the American faction seems to be represented by a corporation, there must be an "America" for them to represent to call themselves the "American Reclamation Corporation".

The Roman Empire collapsed but there is still a Roman Catholic Church, and there was a Holy Roman Empire for quite a while. Rome is still a city, and there are many Romance languages.

America is still a continent(s) called so by most of those Romance languages around the world as well as others.

Totally eliminating a group can take a long time... much longer than altering aspects of it. (I agree the pope came up in the context of the Roman empire... who says future Muslims wouldn't develop similar traditions in a similar context... with the right language to call it a pope... or a group of Christian theocrats legitimizing/attempting to legitimize their rule over Muslims by calling themselves a Caliphate)

I feel that would make a funny mod, Christian-Muslim fundamentalists teamed up to fight "evil" Atheists and other heathens.

Syncretism!

Top Bottom