Bigger Worlds

zappara

Mod Designer
Bigger Worlds

This mod adds 2 new world sizes: Giant and Gigantic. By default Giant map starts with 14 players and 28 city states and Gigantic map starts with 16 players and 32 city states. New map sizes are available at the Advanced Setup.

The mod is currently an alpha version (there might be bugs) and thus should be considered as experimental. The mod has been tested with 64bit Windows 7 with 8GB RAM. Expect longer map generation and longer turns when using these new map sizes.

You should also download one of the mods that add more City states to the game as these map sizes start with up to 32 city states.

Mod currently available in-game Mods section.

Basically this is a conversion the map sizes I had in Civ 4: Rise of Mankind modpack. ;)

Hehe, I did the same thing in my thread ;)

Will take a look at the differences to yours.

I got instant defeat when use this mod.
all i can see is white cloud and... pop up message tell that you lose.

will try to disabled other mods next time though.

EDIT: disabled all other mod except historic city states. same result.

I cannot see any settler or warrior when "u lose" message popup
Terra map size giant that i tested.

Hehe, I did the same thing in my thread ;)

Will take a look at the differences to yours.
Heheh, didn't notice your mod while making my own version. :D Seems you got bigger map size working than I did - you had to edit all the mapscripts to achieve this? Though in my case it was the 3rd new map size that I couldn't get to work, no matter what size the map was... so I had to leave 3rd new size out of my mod.

I got instant defeat when use this mod.
all i can see is white cloud and... pop up message tell that you lose.

will try to disabled other mods next time though.

EDIT: disabled all other mod except historic city states. same result.

I cannot see any settler or warrior when "u lose" message popup
Terra map size giant that i tested.
Tested now those options and terra map is bugged with my mod - I'll probably have to edit that mapscript as well to get it working.

Have you ever had an error where, when loading a map, the audio will stutter a bit and then the game crashes? That happens to me every time I try to load a huge map, so I don't know that it won't happen with these, too. But it's cool of you to make this, Zappara, and I'll give it a try. :)

Heheh, didn't notice your mod while making my own version. :D Seems you got bigger map size working than I did - you had to edit all the mapscripts to achieve this?

Didn't test out all map scripts, but yes, I had to change most of them. I searched for all map scripts which contained one of the following strings

WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_
GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_

to enable the right sizes / amount of resources etc.

Oh, and it is not just map scripts, there are some other map related scripts in Gameplay\Lua

Feel free to use / adjust mine.

I also only tried two new sizes, might try a third one, just to see what kind of issues you ran into ;)

EDIT: I just had the same auto-defeat situation in my latest version, will have to check what caused that.

it works on 75% of the maps, the only issue I ave noticed there is no resources anywhere on the map. Tried with Terra, Continents, Factual. All have the same results. no resources.

Hope this helps with the next version of this mod.

Didn't test out all map scripts, but yes, I had to change most of them. I searched for all map scripts which contained one of the following strings

WorldSizeTypes.WORLDSIZE_
GameInfo.Worlds.WORLDSIZE_

to enable the right sizes / amount of resources etc.

Oh, and it is not just map scripts, there are some other map related scripts in Gameplay\Lua

Feel free to use / adjust mine.
Ok, got to check your mapscripts. Got the mod working around 2:00-3:00am on friday night and didn't check the mapscripts as I needed sleep... Did you edit lua files in ModBuddy? I tried that and it was extremely laggy - had to do editing in Notepad++.

it works on 75% of the maps, the only issue I ave noticed there is no resources anywhere on the map. Tried with Terra, Continents, Factual. All have the same results. no resources.

Hope this helps with the next version of this mod.
I'll make some tweaks for it next week and fix those issues and later fine tune the modifiers after actually playing games on those new map sizes. Thanks for testing it :)

Ok, got to check your mapscripts. Got the mod working around 2:00-3:00am on friday night and didn't check the mapscripts as I needed sleep... Did you edit lua files in ModBuddy? I tried that and it was extremely laggy - had to do editing in Notepad++.

AssignStartingPlots.lua was so laggy I resorted to NotePad++, for the srest I used modbuddy and experience little / no lag. For some reason the filesize seems to affect this (AssignStartingPlots is more than 10 times larger than the other files), even though it clearly should not - and most definitely not to the degree it does.

I found an error, some of my map changes reverted back (i.e. are missing) in the latest version, am adding them again now, I the auto-defeat disappeared again. Apparently auto-defeat is what you get when a variable is not declared ;)

EDIT: uploaded a new version of my WorldSizes mod. The auto-defeat is now gone (and a third size was added ;) ).

Hi, love your mod. The bigger worlds feel much better in scale then the standard ones.

I have a request though.
Would it be possible to get a size between huge and giant? Perhaps a 25% larger then huge?

Btw, this mod doesn't work with world builder now does it?
Doesn't seem to work - in World Builder there seems to be hard coded settings for max map size (128x80) and having this mod enabled doesn't adjust those sliders...

Hi, love your mod. The bigger worlds feel much better in scale then the standard ones.

I have a request though.
Would it be possible to get a size between huge and giant? Perhaps a 25% larger then huge?
Yes, it's possible. Got name for that size? ;) Just uploaded fixed version (before reading your post) - now the mod should work on all maps types.

EDIT: uploaded a new version of my WorldSizes mod. The auto-defeat is now gone (and a third size was added ;) ).
Seems it was those worldsize things that needed adding to each mapscript. Haven't tried again yet adding 3rd size (not enough hours in one evening :lol:). Been thinking how to code those worldsize additions with lua's table.insert command but for some reason I couldn't get it to work - adding stuff to tables with this command would ensure mod compatibility between mods that add new world sizes... I really need to start learning Lua...

newest version doesn't work!!
It's not showing up when I try to set up a game.

newest version doesn't work!!
It's not showing up when I try to set up a game.
same here can't even get the option for the sizes
Unexpected bug... I had the version 1 still in the mods folder and somehow the game was using info from both v1 and v2. Don't know why modbuddy's clean up function didn't remove v1 - seems you have to delete previous versions manually from the mods folders. Anyway, now that I got v2 tested, I can confirm that it doesn't work as it's supposed to.

Edit: Fixed the issue and uploaded v3.

Awesome sizes, there is one thing thats not going right me...is it happenning for anyone else? The problems is when I start the gigantic map, I noticed that there are no resources at all on the map. I am unsure if I have done anything wrong. Excellent work tho.
Cheers

Hi Zappara, thanks for this mod! I've been using is since the second I saw it on the mod list (v1)... I _always_ use Gigantic and Continents or Small Continents and I've never had an issue with a crash or no resources... Guess I was lucky. :p

I would like to request, if it's possible, an even larger map... The largest you can get the game to recognize! Call it 'Ginormica' or 'Ginormous' :p

I currently have an ATI Radeon 4650 1Gb and it works great, even in late game (it does take a second to catch up on rendering in late game though)... But I've just ordered an ATI Sapphire Radeon 5770 1Gb and I want to break it in right... or break it with Civ. ;)

Even if you can't make any bigger maps, love the Gigantic, and thanks again for this!

got a problem with this atm, i cant load a giant map at all, it starts to play the speech of the civ your playing as and 15 secs in just stops and crashes. now what i might try is allowing more RAM in the exe but does anyone know if steam would allow that modification of it?

I've played a few games with the gigantic size map. Only problem I have is that the hardwood mod I DLed doesn't seem to work (it adds the requirements for the units, but doesn't add the resource on the map)... but I think that's a problem with that mod. Thanks so much for getting these out, and so fast too, I've had them for a while, just been meaning to comment and say thanks.

Top Bottom