Bill O'Reilly, Rev Wright = David Duke

I think that he is getting at the fact that using those be-be kids is inaccurate because there aren't that many of them in comparison to those that work blood, sweat, and tears but just aren't educated enough to drag themselves out of poverty. A demiquote from Barack Obama's book the Audacity of Hope.

That isn't the direct quote, but you get what I mean.

I do understand with what you mean, but I was not using that as an example for the whole, I was stating, and I quote:

Some of them sure aren't helping themselves by having 4+ children out of wedlock and sitting on welfare their entire lives, getting themselves imprisoned for drug charges and generally never trying to improve their lives because the system is "out to get them."

He's simply trying to paint me as a racist in an effort to deflect my point, which is there are people in this world who defeat themselves with their action/inaction.

Ive been on the internet long enough, to know that when people start resorting to talking about welfare and welfare mommas..

In other words.... You're assuming.

I know how they really feel and think about black people.

Wow, you must be psychic! Oh, wait. Your assuming. Again.

Of course, it's not surprising. I knew how you felt about them way back when you said No one alive in this country has been enslaved. No one alive has done any enslaving, yet people still cry about it and use that as an excuse for their shortcomings.

No one has been enslaved, and no one has done any enslaving. This is true. What is also true is that some people use this as an excuse for their shortcomings.

This does not mean everyone, or even a majority.

You obviously have not really tried to understand the plight of black people, or understand why they are disproportionately impoverished. to you, its just because they listen to too much rap music and have too much sex and shoot too many guns and rob too many people.... just like tv says they do.

More assumptions, libel, forced-words and general asshattery. I am well aware of the social problems that exist in this country, thanks. I don't need a lecture from you. My point was that aside from the real hurdles that people face in this country, there are still others who go one step further and needlessly place additional hurdles in front of themselves. That was my whole point in mentioning the welfare mommas, the people in prison for drugs and those who give up because the system is set against them. These are the individuals who aren't helping themselves and who wreck their lives before they have a real chance.

My point wasn't that the majority of black community is like this, and that's their main problem; It's that in addition to all the other adversity they face, people continue to place hurdles in front of themselves and fulfill self-defeating prophecies.

taking quotes out of context again, like Obama's "typical white person?"

You got NRO opened up in another window? perhaps LGF in another tab?

I provided a link to audio of Obama's statement and a video link to hers. Don't pretend I'm trying to take anything out of context.

I've never hear of LGF, but NRO is good stuff.

It is easy to see how Mrs. Obama said "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country" considering her church.

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/49244.html

"She's a typical white person" -Obama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPQ9kZe3ZA

So, if taking things out of context means providing links to the complete statements, I guess you caught me!

Give me some examples other than welfare mommas, of people who give themselves extra hurdles. If you yell at people for giving up when the system looks like it's stacked against them then you're being inconsiderate. The system isn't stacked against them, the numbers are stacked against them.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

until a revolution:D

Then the middle get rich and the cycle begins anew.

I provided a link to audio of Obama's statement and a video link to hers. Don't pretend I'm trying to take anything out of context.

I've never hear of LGF, but NRO is good stuff.

Where's the link, and both seem heavily biased. You shouldn't read things like those if you want a fair story. Just like I don't pull my facts from the Atlantic... most of the time.

My point wasn't that the majority of black community is like this, and that's their main problem; It's that in addition to all the other adversity they face, people continue to place hurdles in front of themselves and fulfill self-defeating prophecies.

It's funny, when talking black people, a bunch of people always start talking about crime and welfare and black women with multiple children. You must have been one of the misunderstood ones. :rolleyes:

Sometimes they will say sometimes, to make it appear like some kind of legit piece of discourse. It isn't. Sorry. Seen it too many times, and like the 1000 times before, it'll get no respect from me.

Where's the link, and both seem heavily biased.

I put the links above, quoting myself to prove that I did so when I brought up the quotes.

You shouldn't read things like those if you want a fair story. Just like I don't pull my facts from the Atlantic... most of the time.

I don't need a lecture on bias. NRO is good stuff.

Not that those sites have ANYTHING to do with my quotes. I did not quote LGF or NOR. He just made that crap up as an ad hom.

You have to think a bit deeper to get to the root cause of poverty. I used to think "get a job" to the old guy on the street begging. Now it makes me feel extremely sad when I don't have a little piece of change to toss. Some people you can blame for being poor, like the guy in the ragged Abercrombie cloths, but not the person who still uses his army uniform as a jacket.

Give me some examples other than welfare mommas, of people who give themselves extra hurdles. If you yell at people for giving up when the system looks like it's stacked against them then you're being inconsiderate. The system isn't stacked against them, the numbers are stacked against them.

Just off the top of my head, anyone who drops out of school. Anyone who doesn't get a crummy job and push themselves through college. Anyone who falls into the "numbers are stacked against them" trap and gives up completely. Just because the numbers are stacked against them doesn't mean it's not possible, or unlikely, that they can succeed. Anyone who gets tied up in gangs, or drugs, or sex, or anything else that prevents them from living a productive life. A few of the hurdles are physical. Others are mental, and imo it's the mental blocks which are the worst. A person can make mistakes and learn from them and not repeat them, but a person who is defeated in their own mind will never rise up.

I don't need a lecture on bias. NOR is good stuff.
How to Detect Bias in the News

At one time or other we all complain about "bias in the news." The fact is, despite the journalistic ideal of "objectivity," every news story is influenced by the attitudes and background of its interviewers, writers, photographers and editors.

Not all bias is deliberate. But you can become a more aware news reader or viewer by watching for the following journalistic techniques that allow bias to "creep in" to the news:

Bias through selection and omission

An editor can express a bias by choosing to use or not to use a specific news item. Within a given story, some details can be ignored, and others included, to give readers or viewers a different opinion about the events reported. If, during a speech, a few people boo, the reaction can be described as "remarks greeted by jeers" or they can be ignored as "a handful of dissidents."

Bias through omission is difficult to detect. Only by comparing news reports from a wide variety of outlets can the form of bias be observed.

Bias through placement

Readers of papers judge first page stories to be more significant than those buried in the back. Television and radio newscasts run the most important stories first and leave the less significant for later. Where a story is placed, therefore, influences what a reader or viewer thinks about its importance.

Bias by headline

Many people read only the headlines of a news item. Most people scan nearly all the headlines in a newspaper. Headlines are the most-read part of a paper. They can summarize as well as present carefully hidden bias and prejudices. They can convey excitement where little exists. They can express approval or condemnation.

Bias by photos, captions and camera angles

Some pictures flatter a person, others make the person look unpleasant. A paper can choose photos to influence opinion about, for example, a candidate for election. On television, the choice of which visual images to display is extremely important. The captions newspapers run below photos are also potential sources of bias.

Bias through use of names and titles

News media often use labels and titles to describe people, places, and events. A person can be called an "ex-con" or be referred to as someone who "served time twenty years ago for a minor offense." Whether a person is described as a "terrorist" or a "freedom fighter" is a clear indication of editorial bias.

Bias through statistics and crowd counts

To make a disaster seem more spectacular (and therefore worthy of reading about), numbers can be inflated. "A hundred injured in aircrash" can be the same as "only minor injuries in air crash," reflecting the opinion of the person doing the counting.

Bias by source control

To detect bias, always consider where the news item "comes from." Is the information supplied by a reporter, an eyewitness, police or fire officials, executives, or elected or appointed government officials? Each may have a particular bias that is introduced into the story. Companies and public relations directors supply news outlets with puffpieces through news releases, photos or videos. Often news outlets depend on pseudo-events (demonstrations, sit-ins, ribbon cuttings, speeches and ceremonies) that take place mainly to gain news coverage.

Word choice and tone

Showing the same kind of bias that appears in headlines, the use of positive or negative words or words with a particular connotation can strongly influence the reader or viewer.

Did you want one?

You have to think a bit deeper to get to the root cause of poverty. I used to think "get a job" to the old guy on the street begging. Now it makes me feel extremely sad when I don't have a little piece of change to toss. Some people you can blame for being poor, like the guy in the ragged Abercrombie cloths, but not the person who still uses his army uniform as a jacket.

bums are bums cuz they want to be, or because they would rather be alcoholics. They like the street culture, and they like the freedom.

Just off the top of my head, anyone who drops out of school. Anyone who doesn't get a crummy job and push themselves through college. Anyone who falls into the "numbers are stacked against them" trap and gives up completely. Just because the numbers are stacked against them doesn't mean it's not possible, or unlikely, that they can succeed. Anyone who gets tied up in gangs, or drugs, or sex, or anything else that prevents them from living a productive life. A few of the hurdles are physical. Others are mental, and imo it's the mental blocks which are the worst. A person can make mistakes and learn from them and not repeat them, but a person who is defeated in their own mind will never rise up.

I defer to my knowledge ramble. If you are too stupid to know why to stay in school then you aren't going anywhere. The majority of inner-city people are stupid regardless of race. They have nothing in the ways of planning, so even those that do work hard end up getting consumed by their environment. It's all eventual, some do make it out, but they are the rare lucky ones. Or those that went to the library and picked up a good self help book.

It's funny, when talking black people, a bunch of people always start talking about crime and welfare and black women with multiple children. You must have been one of the misunderstood ones. :rolleyes:

Right, because talking about possible symptoms to a core problem is off-limits. :lol:

They are the symptoms, but not the virus.

The virus is welfare. The new opiate of the people.

I also believe that rap culture is no longer merely a symptom, but a source. The misogyny and materialism being preached is not merely a reaction, but a shaper of young minds.

They are the symptoms, but not the virus.

That's what I just said, lol. My point is he's trying to slam me and paint me as a racist for talking about the symptoms to the virus.

How are we supposed to have an honest discussion about the problems the black community has in America if we're not allowed to talk about out-of-wedlock births and disproportionate jailings, for fear of being branded a racist? Those are real problems, but god forbid someone actually mention them!

That's what I just said, lol. My point is he's trying to slam me and paint me as a racist for talking about the symptoms to the virus.

How are we supposed to have an honest discussion about the problems the black community has in America if we're not allowed to talk about out-of-wedlock births and disproportionate jailings, for fear of being branded a racist? Those are real problems, but god forbid someone actually mention them!

Don't use them as a problem. They are only exacerbating the situation, they aren't the the real problem. The problem again is stupidity, the only way to get rid of the problem is to run mass educational programs, or something to show the youth that if you stay in school you can end up being outside of the projects.

Can you agree on that?

I defer to my knowledge ramble. If you are too stupid to know why to stay in school then you aren't going anywhere.

It's not that they're stupid, it's that they don't see a point in graduating. If the numbers are against them, why even try? That's their mindset, and that's the big problem.

Don't use them as a problem. They are only exacerbating the situation, they aren't the the real problem. The problem again is stupidity, the only way to get rid of the problem is to run mass educational programs, or something to show the youth that if you stay in school you can end up being outside of the projects.

Can you agree on that?

Of course, I can agree to that. =o) If society can give them hope, they can succeed.

Top Bottom