Black Screen of Death

Alternator

Chieftain
I've had this problem before, probably about a year ago, and then I just quit Civ 4 since it became too annoying. I'm starting to get back into the game since a friend has started playing, and I'd really like this solved.

While playing, the screen will sometimes black out and force a restart. Nothing I've been able to do has returned the computer to a working state once this has happened without the system reboot, forcing it all to reload and five minutes of my time to be wasted. This is somewhat replicable; sometimes I can reload the save and it will function normally, sometimes the same leader chat will continually break the game. It does not appear to be time-based since I've had games go on four hours even in the later eras without breaking, and I've died inside thirty turns having just booted up Civ 4.

The problem only ever seems to happen while chatting with another leader, so I think something in the leader video is probably the culprit. I use an ATI card, which is most of the reason I think the video is the issue. I've tried downloading static leaderheads from http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6628 but they aren't working; is this because I have BUG/BAT installed? If so, is there any way to combine the two, or at least keep BAT even if BUG is incompatible?

DxDiag attached. Civ 4 version is Beyond the Sword 3.1.9.

Your graphics driver is a year old, I would check and see if you can get a new one.

I have no idea how BAT/BUG interacts with the rest of the game with your leaderheads issue as I don't use these mods. For that specifically I would ask in the thread for the mod.

Top Bottom