Bonds and Clemens: The Legacy they Leave Behind

Moss

CFC Scribe
Retired Moderator
This is a essay I just wrote about Bonds and Clemens...feel free to comment.

If you were to measure greatness by using longevity, both Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds would attain legend status. If you were to measure greatness by using stats, both Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds would be headed to the Hall of Fame. In fact they are indeed head to the Hall of Fame, and no one on this earth would be bone headed enough to dispute that fact. Both Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens are nearing the twilight of their careers. One has retired once only to be drawn back by his hometown team, and the other is talking about retiring after the 2005 season. Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds are two of a kind, but that two of a kind hits more than just stats and longevity, but also hits at the heart of a most important trait, character.

At the beginning of this season we all, or maybe just a few of us, sat in front of our television screens and waited for Barry Bonds to hit that over-hyped and overblown homerun number of 660. When he did reach that number we watched Willie Mays carry an Olympic torch onto the field and pass it onto his godson. This could have been at least a halfway genuine scene, but of course there is that great S word that has embedded itself into the record books and the veins of almost all baseball players. The homerun record means very little anymore. 660 has become not a benchmark of greatness, but a symbol of corruption. Not because of the factuality of Barry Bonds using steroids, but because of the public perception that he did indeed boost his performance by using performance enhancing drugs.

In any other era the people would consider Barry Bonds as one of the greatest baseball players of all time. Even in this era loyal fans hand him that famed distinction. Babe Ruth move over, Barry can out hit, out run and out field you. But the difference between the Babe and Barry is that the Babe had the public on his side. Barry is lucky if the public even wants to look at his side. Barry is booed everyplace he goes that isn’t named Pac…I mean SBC Park. Barry is a victim of being born in the wrong era. The era of juiced balls, juiced players, and smaller parks. He is a victim of public criticism, but he deservers every critical comment he has ever gotten, and until the steroid controversy is solved he will continue to put up records that will be deemed as tainted.

Roger Clemens is trying his best to imitate the man for whose award he has won so many times. Cy Young would be proud of Roger’s longevity. Cy Young would be proud of the fact that Clemens, at age 41, can still throw a ball in the mid nineties. Cy Young would probably even approve of Clemens’ tenacity and fearlessness. We all know Bob Gibson certainly approves. The public, and Mike Piazza however, don’t necessarily think that fearlessness is a good thing. They prefer that pitchers actually throw the ball over the plate, and not at batters’ heads. People just keep getting pickier and pickier these days.

Clemens should be remembered for his 4,000 plus strikeouts and his 300 plus wins, but instead the average person on the street recognizes him most for his bean ball against Mike Piazza. Oh, and lets not forget about the bat throwing incident. Both were horrendous scenes, but scenes that should not tarnish a career. Clemens is the greatest pitcher of our era, and possibly the greatest pitcher of any era. His tenacity and fearlessness are what makes him great, not what should make him hated. When the Rocket glares, batters’ hearts tend to explode. That is the legacy that he should leave.

The greatest hitter and greatest pitcher of our era are soon to be no longer of our era. Soon they will be only a memory to tell our children and grandchildren about. What memory will be left behind? Will the memory of steroids and juiced balls overshadow possibly 700 homeruns? Will the memory of one bad pitch overshadow the possibility of 325 wins? Will the fans ever forgive what the media has told them? Will the fans ever remember the good instead of the bad? For the sake of the history of baseball I hope so. The Rocket and Barry are two greats, but no one quite knows what the content will be of the legacy they leave behind.

Nice piece...it's hard to look into the future to be judged at how both players will be looked at.

For Clemens...certainly there's been a lot of hype over two incidents that will make the highlight reel, and not a lot of hype concerning his solid performance almost every 5 days. Still, I think it will eventually subside, and I think it already has, since nobody really talks about it anymore. In fact, I have not heard much about it when the Astros faced the Mets...and there's still the chance the Rocket could be caught by Piazza in the All-Star Game this year.

For Bonds, it is more difficult to tell. Certainly the rumors of steroid use will continue, especially if they are proven and Major League Baseball launches a crusade against the drugs like the NFL has, which is unlikely given the huge fight the Players' Association might give. Still, people will realize that steroids or not, you still have to hit the damn ball and still have to hit it in such a way that it will be launched 400 feet. Steroids may not be the be-all, end-all in this equation because more skill than strength is applied. However, the legacy of Bonds, 25, 50 years from now will depend too much on things that happen in the next five years, either by rumors being proved, disproved, what MLB does, and so on. Most people understand that even if he has been taking steroids, he is still amazingly talented, as he also chases, or has even attained, 500 stolen bases to go with those home runs, as well as the mountain of walks and the high batting averages he has attained.

I will say this - what endures more, sheer numbers or media hype?

Babe Ruth was a drunkard. Ty Cobb was a racist and an *******. Ted Williams wouldn't give you the time of day if you met him on a streetcorner somewhere. Are Barry and Roger that much worse than these legends of baseball? Hardly.

50 years from now, people will only remember the numbers, and the moments on the field that really mattered - Bonds' 73rd, Clemens' 300th win. And they'll be revered as Hall of Famers forever.

On the other side of that coin however is Shoeless Joe Jackson...he never survived the scandals.

Tough to say what will stick. Yea, Babe was a drunk, womanizing slob, but he's remembered as the best. Cobb, fantastic player that he was, is remembered as a mean, racist bastard.

Clemens has played for 4 teams in both leagues now. Boston released him as "washed up" eight years ago...result - 3 Cy Youngs and a couple of World Series rings. Always described as a hard worker and a "competitor" (not exactly Cobb-esque but still ornery). Will be remembered as dominant.

Bonds, great player on a mediocre team. His power hitting has never been impressive to me. He looks juiced and his being one of the first batters to wear armor and lean all over the plate and not expect to be thrown at always pissed me off. He's always gotten a bad rap because he pissed of the SF reporters early on by being aloof. However, in an era of greed and free agency, this guy has stuck with his team through lots of lean years. Yes he's payed well, but how many other players would have jumped looking for a WS ring (Clemens?). They're aren't many single team career stars around anymore (Ripken and Puckett were my favs 80's-90's). Also, he didn't just hit.
Eight (?) Gold Gloves, damn good. Also stole quite a few bases in an era where that has become a lost art. Is grudgingly respected as one of the best ever now, will lose the "grudgingly" as time passes...unless he gets busted :p

Top Bottom