• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Bony's City Culture Thread

These Horses belonged to me a few turns ago. How did the Zulu get them?

Attachments

• horseplay.png
    horseplay.png
    5 MB · Views: 34
I think if you have vassals and he doesn't like them it decreases his attitude but that's hidden from the shown modifiers. That's different from just the usual negative modifier 'our rivals are vassals'

Yes just get your city to at least 10 culture, when you see its borders grow, and then you'll get the horses back fairly quickly.

If you hover over a tile you will see the percentage culture for each civ on it, and those near 50/50 may be about to flip.

How do I get it back? Pump more culture?
Kill Shaka ;)

Appears that the city has not even popped borders yet so it should take back the horses once you do, unless Shaka has a lot of culture in that city like a wonder. If you have music, you can build culture to pop borders which will put more pressure on the tile. Shaka's city has been around a lot longer.

Kill Shaka ;)

Appears that the city has not even popped borders yet so it should take back the horses once you do, unless Shaka has a lot of culture in that city like a wonder. If you have music, you can build culture to pop borders which will put more pressure on the tile.
What do mean by 'it hasn't popped borders yet'?

Shaka's city has been around a lot longer.
As a matter of fact, mine is older, but I lost it to the Koreans and had to take it back, which is why it's underdeveloped.

Look at the culture bar at the bottom left of the city screen. When it reaches certain levels (10, 100, etc. on normal speed) the city 'levels up' and its borders expand by one tile around it unless those tiles are controlled by someone else. That's popping borders.

Importantly when you do that, the culture in the tiles that are closer to your city than its current max borders gets boosted a lot. So right now your city only controls tiles 1 tile away from it, at 10 culture it will control 2 tiles away, and any tiles 1 tile away (like the horses) will get 20 more culture per turn which means you get them back much faster.

Look at the culture bar at the bottom left of the city screen. When it reaches certain levels (10, 100, etc. on normal speed) the city 'levels up' and its borders expand by one tile around it unless those tiles are controlled by someone else. That's popping borders.

Importantly when you do that, the culture in the tiles that are closer to your city than its current max borders gets boosted a lot. So right now your city only controls tiles 1 tile away from it, at 10 culture it will control 2 tiles away, and any tiles 1 tile away (like the horses) will get 20 more culture per turn which means you get them back much faster.
Yeah, as antimony says, you will exert more pressure on your 1st ring o' tiles once you pop borders. It's clear that the city has not popped to the 2nd ring yet, so Shaka's city is exerting more pressure on the horse tile right now than your city. Build culture, max hammers, for a turn or two to pop borders now, then complete the theatre.

The horse tile is in the first ring of your city. You have it without expanding borders as long as nothing interferes. In this case Shaka interfered. He put more culture on that horse tile so it's his now. From the shape of the culture borders north of Ecbatana and the lack of culture defense in the city it's clear Ecbatana has not in fact expanded its borders.

Culture on tiles works as follows. You take the culture per turn generated by the city (call the value c). It can be looked up in the lower left corner of the city screen. (I expect it's currently 0 culture per turn which is the underlying problem.) Any tile within the cities area of influence (currently only the city tile and the first ring) gains c + 1 tile culture per turn (but only if c > 0). At certain break points (10, 100, 500, 5000, 50000) the area of influence of the city expands. That's what people called popping borders above. Following that you get c + 1 tile culture on the outermost ring of the area of influence. For each ring further inward you gain an additional 20 bonus culture per turn on those tiles. Whoever has the most culture on a tile controls it. Until midgame the 20+ bonus culture dominate the culture generated by cities so that tiles close to a city are almost always controlled by whoever controls the city.

Last edited:
Top Bottom