Booga games diar..rhea

depends on the map, but on duel map, it's often impossible to liberate a colony (archipelage maybe?)

Duel terra ;). Sadly duel isn't usable in EQM. I CAN'T IMAGINE why :rolleyes:.

But colony abuse can be very potent, especially for religious victories.

I still don't know much about colonies, but there's no need to free a colony in my games, since the UN can be built after I kill one of the living players, leaving me with only 1 opponent anyway (and a city ;) )

Do colonies not count for domination?? I mean.. is this also a way to pass the domination limit without domination??

P.S. About your sentence "There is no "I" in team. There is no "we" either. There is a me." ..
There is also a mate ;)

Colonies function exactly like vassals, except they're far more likely to like you. I've never had one break free, though I've never actively abused one either.

Anyway, whatever uses you can find for vassals, consider colonies the same.

Anyway, whatever uses you can find for vassals, consider colonies the same.

I don't use vassals in my game options ;)
But I'm trying many other stuff, and unless colonies/vassals don't count for domination, I'm happy with my tactics :}

===============

Game12, #13972, score 30944 was submitted. [monarch game]
It was a very good game, making all the wonders I wanted although the war of near-annihalation with the arabs could have been about 15-20 turns shorter if that city I wanted to take didn't still have a coal plant after I took it..
Resources were ok, especially the 5 coal in the end run.
To avoid domination I had to give 2 cities near the end, but that didn't matter.
I had a 16-cities continent + 2 islands with total of 3 tiles right near it.
The Arabs had 2 smaller continents.. I was so happy to find that out when they gave me their map!
Their military force was a problem at the start of the great war when suddenly more than 10 destroyers appeared with the rest of their known navy.
On start I took Delhi, like planned, but it was far and caused setbacks I'll think on when doing next games. The maintnance was a real load in the eye ;)
That's my short sumup for this good monarch game.
Next, Emperor!

P.S. I'm glad I finished it (10 minutes ago) and it will probably be in next HoF update to shock and awe the players.
I admire the main diety players, moonsinger and wastintime. I hope to one day join them in their quest for glory and fame in the Hall of Civ4-BTS-3.17.00000001 fame!

Good day night.
Booga.

Hmmm... never thought I'd write this..
Game 12.1, on Emperor level, was aborted at turn 1060 due to several mistakes, mainly military underestimations and errors, and wonder placement (I was sure globe theatre was not a national wonder... wallstreet got fk'd).
I also had only 2 sushi resources of my own, and a bit 2 much desert.
The most annoying thing was to wait endlessly for some great person other than prophet :{
In short, bad game that went worse + a bit emperor power shock ;)
I had 6 wars with the madman.. much smarter now :)

I go try again! On game 13 I'll ruleeeeeeee!

BTW, perhaps I could win by score, but with a bad game... I couldn't take the Arabs and they were not gonna take me. They DID start a space program, so I could have pointlessly continue and really lose... but who knows ;)

P.S. It should have been much easier in 3.13 when there was no GW !!
I didn't even build more than 4 forges, but now I see that I must build forges instead of extra airports on emperor :(

Global warming : this is a major "feature" I tried to avoid while maximizing science. I thought the limit for duel world is 24 bad health from buildings, which means 0.5 global warming attempt per turn, and I understood that it rounds up (a lie!!).

Could you explain this a little bit further, please? From what I understand here, and from what Blubmuz posted in another thread, you can avoid GW if you keep the total unhealthiness-buildings beneath 20% of the land tiles :confused:

Example: in my current Time-victory attempt, I'm playing on a Small Global Highlands map, with Low Water. That map has ~1200 land tiles.
This means that I have to keep beneath 20% of 1200 = 240?!?

Does this mean I can have a total of 239 unhealthy buildings in the world (for me, and all other civs), or does the unhealthiness from the buildings count? In other words, 1 factory with access to Coal and Oil, is that worth '1 point' (= 1 factory), or is it worth '5 points' (= 1 (factory) + 2 (Oil) + 2 (Coal))?

And building a Recycling Center doesn't change anything?

emperor time victory is hard
not so much on duel, but still no piece of cake.

I have a plan for immortal time. It will work, but it's not going to be fun :(. I bet my q score for that one winds up utterly miserable.

I will here address GW, since it is very troubling to many. I've edited the following "quote" to be only the questions, and then comes an explanation of GW as I know it.

==== Q and A :

Q1. From what I understand here, and from what Blubmuz posted in another thread, you can avoid GW if you keep the total unhealthiness-buildings beneath 20% of the land tiles :confused:

Q2. 1 factory with access to Coal and Oil, is that worth '1 point' (= 1 factory), or is it worth '5 points' (= 1 (factory) + 2 (Oil) + 2 (Coal))?

Q3. And building a Recycling Center doesn't change anything?

A1. Totally mixed up and wrong - you mix between "attempts per turn" and "GW probability per attempt" .. look at the GW explanation after my answers.

A2. 5 unhealth from buildings !!!

A3. RC changes your health, but not "unhealthiness from buildings".. so it does not change GW :( .. this is something that I haven't checked but asked myself and was disappointed to know..

==== GW :

There are 2 important parameters for GW :
1. Attempts per turn = NukesUsed/2 + (20*BAD_HEALTH)/MAP_TILES.
{
NukesUsed - number of EXPLODED nukes.
BAD_HEALTH - Unhealthiness from buildings of ALL civs combined.
MAP_TILES - TOTAL map size, including land, sea, ice and your girlfriend too. This number is (according to RefManual, from duel to huge) 960/1664/2560/4368/6656/10240
}

Explaination : How many attempts are there per turn for GW. This number rounds DOWN, so if you get less than 1, then "GW probability per attempt" parameter is not important since there will be no attempts !!

Example: For standard world where no nukes are used :
(20*B_H)/2560 = B_H/128 .
Therefor, on standard, 127 Bad Health (commulative for all civs) means no GW attempts, and therefor no pollution ever. 128 Bad Health will mean 1 GW trial per turn, and only then will you need to worry about the second parameter for GW, "probability per attempt".

2. GW probability per attempt = 20 - 50*WOODS/LAND_TILES
{ (result is percentage!!)
WOODS = Total number of Jungle or Forest tiles remaining on map.
LAND_TILES = Land tiles on the map (no sea, coast, ocean...pole?).
}

Explaination : For each GW attempt (parameter 1 tells how many), there is a probability for actual GW (this parameter tells the percentage).
Here, LAND_TILES change for each map, and WOODS even depends on how many woods you've cut.
Estimation is much harder, but you can see that even with no woods, the maximum chance of GW per attempt is 20%, and this decreases as you have more woods.

Hope it's clear,
Booga. FREAKKKKKKKKK!

I've quit a second emperor game, but I'm so much smarter militarily, and having such fun, that emperor is only a matter of time ;)

Also, Games I won't submit like this will be called... Game 12.2
Game 12.2 was aborted. Still waiting for game 13 ;) :cool:

I just got the news I've been waiting for to know I can go on with life..!
I've been accepted by Israel's national insurance to be a handicap for "severe OCD" (it's a quite bad skin picking, dermatillomania) and "Generalized anxiety disorder".

I've had both for 7 years now, and have stopped working on May 1st (I was a programmer).
I will now get some monthly money, and I have some reserves of money.
I live with my mom the last 6 months so my spending is quite minimal.
Now.. I can live at home!
This is a temporary handicap of 75% until the next check they want - but that is enough for me.
The next check if there was a chnge in state is on September 2009 :)

Me so happy.
Me no can work.
Me know that.
Now country know that.
Now me wait for Iran to nuke me ;)
If you hear that a suburb of Tel-Aviv named Holon was destroyed, know that I will probably not play again :nuke: :lol:

Happy Booga.
Officially a freak. :mischief:

Hope it's clear,

Yes, it is ... Thanks! :goodjob:

boogaboo said:
This number is (according to RefManual, from duel to huge) 960/1664/2560/4368/6656/10240

That depends on Map script, though, I think ...
I'm playing this Small Global Highlands, and that is 50*84 = 4200 Total Tiles, and not 2560

... but that is easy to calculate.

ehhh.. questions..
1. Map script.. that's mods right??
2. On HoF games (and mod..), you get the numbers I gave, right?
3. Is there a change in map size when doing Lakes or Continents or Pangea and the like ?? :confused:

Thanks for any1 who may know the answer :)

map scripts = map type (pangea isn't archipelago)

So you say each map script has a different size...
I never understood the exact differences...
where are those scripts?! any folder or good link to explain map scripts (the normal ones, not some crazy stuff some1 invented)?

Yes, different maps have different sizes ...

Here's the link to 'The Complete Guide to Map Creation'; that's a post I quite like, but it has a whole lot of images!

It gives you explanations and images of all standard maps you can find in-game, with different settings.

Doesn't talk of Map Size, though. But generally, that doesn't matter much, I think.

P.S.: That Time-game I was referring to ... I failed; I was cruising to a clear victory; every starting Civ was whipped out, 1 former AI-colony was left alive, I was under the Domination-limit, when in 1930AD, my Capital turned Legendary. The other 2 cities were to follow ~15 turns later, and there was nothing I could do. Build 6 settlers and won by Domination :cry:
Sid's Sushi was great for raising my score by population, but it also was the reason of failure :(

@ChrisFromLux : Thank you very much for the link! I don't think these scripts change the size of the map, just the tiles types :)

I'm finally having a good emperor game (I think..).
The game crashed due to power outage this morning, and I hope that won't repeat :rolleyes:
I took my auto-save and loaded it.. then I did some minimal stuff I THINK I did before (upgraded and moved a new pikeman, and pressed space on many workers except 1 who still had a road to build.. I was researching civil service) and saved manually. I hope those 2 saves will do..

A quick question to HoFers - Can I just save manually sometimes and continue playing? I'm overcaucious, and each time I save the game manually, I immediately quit to windows and wait a few minutes, then load the save.. (I always like to also have the turns 500 and 1000 saves..)
Should I continue this dumb practice of mine?

Booga. Wanting Emperor Saladin to show so I can impale him!

I don't think these scripts change the size of the map, just the tiles types :)

They do ... Global Highlands or Terra Maps are larger than Pangaea, for example ...

boogaboo said:
A quick question to HoFers - Can I just save manually sometimes and continue playing? I'm overcaucious, and each time I save the game manually, I immediately quit to windows and wait a few minutes, then load the save.. (I always like to also have the turns 500 and 1000 saves..)
Should I continue this dumb practice of mine?

Wow, you're really cautious. But there's absolutely no need to quit the game after you manually saved :crazyeye:

On the other hand, if you've set AutoSave to every turn, as you should for HOF-games, there's no need to save manually.

What I do: for special dates, like 1000BC, 10AD, 500AD, ... I simply save the Autosaves in another folder!

They do ... Global Highlands or Terra Maps are larger than Pangaea, for example ...

I think you speak of land area.. not map size, but I'll check it out to see perhaps I'm wrong.

What I do: for special dates, like 1000BC, 10AD, 500AD, ... I simply save the Autosaves in another folder!

Genius!! :}

I think you speak of land area.. not map size, but I'll check it out to see perhaps I'm wrong.

No, I don't ;)

Land Area depends on Map Types, but also on Sea Level, of course.

Total Map Tiles vary from Map Type to Map Type ... check it out! :)

Top Bottom