[BTS] BOTM 211: Mansa Musa, Deity - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 211: Mansa Musa, Deity - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. Which save did you pick? If it was the adventurer save, did the gold help much against deity AI? How are the AIs? Have you managed to defend yourself?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 211, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Since there was no avoiding deity level, I decided to try the Contender save, knowing I could replay the Adventurer save for fun, after most likely getting crushed. But for the official effort, I hoped to be able to follow the Cuiraissier rush strategy.

And, up to 1 AD, I've settled six cities and the terrain appears to give me all the resources I'll need. Just one bit of diplomacy has been lacking, keeping the AI peaceful. Most of the AI I've met dislike Hammurabi, but I kept relations open with him, which particularly seems to have angered Huayna Capac. At 150 BC, I notice he's moved an army right outside my borders, where I have a single warrior guarding Gao. Could he be planning to march through my territory to get at Hammy?

No such luck. He declares on me in 125 BC, as does Shaka. (I don't even know where Shaka's territory is, yet!) Frantically, I whip some defenders and rush them to the border. If Gao falls, I'll lose all of my strategic resources and any hope of surviving.

Battle of Gao.JPG

But at 1 AD, Gao is still in my hands. As long as I can hold on to that, I'll keep playing. Monty has attacked Justinian. Hammy is annoyed at HC, but doesn't like me enough to come to my aid. It's probably futile, but we'll see.

So far things are running fine. Excellent territory all around.
8 cities/42 pop, 2 settlers walking. Then there's only an island still to settle, and all land that should be mine will be mine.
180 beakers at break even. just finished Civil Service, Bureau+Academy installed in the cap. I have traded around MC. Will not trade much further is the plan. The more I trade the faster the pace. I need turns to develop my land and have a window to train an army. I won't start anything before trebs or cannons.

I'm Hindu with Hammi and Shaka. The rest are all in different reli's. That's a good thing I think. I've met everybody.
Red fists come and go but nothing happens. Lately HC raised a red fist. He is the only one who might come my way. I see cats heading east with my traveling chariot, so I think I will get a DoW soon. I need 6 turns to reach Machinery. Then I can produce Xbows and Macemen. AI is always good at messing up such things with a slightly earlier DoW. I will have a 2nd iron in 2T (corridor to the south), can have a 3rd one if I settle on it (NE-coast), so no problem there.

At 1AD things don't look badly, but this being deity I'm sure it'll either go down the drain quickly or I won't find the time and energy to fight deity wars. ;)

Anyway, I'm at 9 cities and 60 population, maybe room to squeeze in another city or 2. Doing 200 bpt at break even, though building wealth in half my cities. Techwise I've more or less kept up through trading, although unfortunately Monty and HC are already thinking I'm too advanced.

Hammurabi is the only Hindu and has actively spread it to me, 8 of 9 cities have it. However, there is a big buddhist block with not the most peaceful gang in town, Monty, Shaka, Mongols as well as the Byzantines. HC is the lone Confucian. Shaka is at war with Ham already, some more red fists are raised.

Top Bottom