[BTS] BOTM 269: Julius Caesar, Immortal - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 269: Julius Caesar, Immortal - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. How did you find the fantasy realm map?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 269, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

You said it was time to go crazy, so I did so by taking the Contender/Immortal save. I was up to four cities when Monty and Tokugawa started plotting. WK was their worst enemy, but a bit too far away, I guess. Monty declared war on me in 525 BC. He took Antium, which I was able to take back with my Praetorians. I was about ready to start considering if I was ready to counterattack one of his cities, when Tokugawa declared in 275 BC, moving in a stack that was sure to capture poorly defended Cumae. Monty was accumulating catapults for his next attack, too. I was time to end the craziness, so I retired.

Now I can replay the game for fun with the Adventurer save.

I also took the Immortal save but was lucky enough to avoid anybody DoWing me. In fact, I just DoWed Toku a turn or two before 1 AD and took Tokyo. As usual, he's behind in techs because he won't trade with anybody, so I'm not expecting too much trouble from him. Russia is #1 in score with 12 cities (significantly more than anybody else) and I'm 5th with 513. I settled in place, then west (copper and corn), north (deer and corn), south on the isthmus (sheep and banana), east across the water (iron and horses), and quite far to the east on the lake just because. With Tokyo that gives me 7 cities and 31 pop. I tried for Stonehenge but lost, and only have the Great Wall. Greece is a Wonder hog, with Stonehenge (2120), the Oracle (1680), ToA (1040), and Church of the Nativity (175). Maintenance is quite high on this map--good thing we get cheap courthouses.

I didn't fully realize how long it would take to set up tundra stone for Great Wall (4 turn chop + 9 turn quarry + 3 turn road). Got TGW in T41 but it was a fairly slow start. Initial techs were BW Masonry and The Wheel then Hunting and Agri, build order was workboat, worker, workboat, warrior then another worker. Whipped a settler at size 4 after the wall, settled corn and deer city. Next 2 settlers went (1) NW next to copper and river (nice 4 food tundra oasis haha) and (2) next to silver in range of sharing cottages with copper city.

Went for construction (trading math for iron working) while building axemen in prevention for Toku or Monty DOW. Got construction around T90 (late) and Toku already had crossbows (in part due to getting Oracle, still impressive from him on immortal). Monty DOWed around 500 BC and Toku a few turns after. Was able to repel them with axemen and catapults and take 1 city from each (iron city from Toku), plus Alpha from Monty in a peace deal. Finished teching MC and traded for Currency and Calendar. Great spy infiltrated Korea so I can steal techs from him soon (such as CoL, and he's researching CS now).

I popped Masonry from a hut, so the Great Wall was easy. Tried to expand and got about 6 cities, one of which I abandoned and let the Japanese take... probably saved me a lot of maintenance. I was about to just let Japan roll over me for an Ambulance award, but decided to at least fight it out. Plenty of GG's and idiotic AI meant that the stack of 10 catapults with at least as many units did some incredibly stupid tactics. The cats came undefended to my capitol walls... and perished. The rest of the units had no chance against my LB with Drill 4 promotions and helped by Medic 3. GW saved me with lots of GG, and kept me tech-parity due to GSpy infiltrating Korea. I don't know how this will end or even if I can pull out a victory, but I am renewed about my chances, and recall that the AI are not there to win the game, but to prevent me from winning. I anticipate a tough finish, because this is where I usually screw things up being too cautious. :undecide:

Top Bottom