Brian Reynolds announces SMAC sequel!

Beau Ennui

Chieftain
Inspired by the success of his recent game "FrontierVille", Gaming Legend Brian Reynolds today announced a sequel to the critically acclaimed Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri. Your mission: Return to the devastated earth and rebuild a civilization that has fallen back into untamed wilderness. "I was able to convince my employers at Zynga East to merge the possibilities of different ideologies in a futuristic setting with the convenience of social networking games", Reynolds stated in our interview, "so they bought the rights from EA". Did the efforts of his former chief at Firaxis Games, Sid Meier, to transfer the Civilization Universe into facebook, influence Reynolds own plans? Reynolds: "Sids impact on Alpha Centauri has been very low and yet he earned all the esteem, so yes, it's a bit of a competition between us and Sids 'Civ Worlds' facebook project".

The good news for SMAC-verterans: The original seven factions will also play a major role, extended by the possibility to buy factions from the expansion set through an ingame payment system via PayPal or credit card. "SMACVille" as it is currently entitled is based upon FrontierVille and will allow players to take their experience to a whole new level. "Overly complex games like the first SMAC don't sell anymore", Reynolds says, "so we stripped the game of the too much demanding aspects". It is intended to remove mind-worms and the combat system to focus on a more family-friendly playing style. "But you can still chop forests", Reynolds promises. By adding as many friends as possible players will be able to send each other energy resources and unlock more advanced facilities. There might also be an easter egg: "If we reach 4 million 'likes' we might unlock a naked dancing Deirdre ... or Lal".

Read more:
http://blog.games.com/2010/06/09/oh-pioneer-frontiervilles-brian-reynolds-takes-on-the-wild-wes/

Spoiler :
Disclaimer: The whole text is purely fictional in the context of April the 1st and does not represent words or intentions by neither Brian Reynolds nor Zynga. It rather expresses the authors utmost fear of what would become of a great game like SMAC in todays gaming industry which largely relies on dumbing down and reproducing sucessfull concepts and trying to generate additional income through DLC. And Brian: Give us the source code :)

Awesome! Did you draw those leader faces yourself? Could be used as avatars if made available seperately.

Oh, did the thread title have me hoping this wasn't an April fools joke. At least I didn't get too hopeful.

Totally believable :) ---there's a browser game for
everything.

Top Bottom