Bridges, canals and other feats of geoengineering

One of the main things I think is missing is 3d terrain from SMAC where different tiles had different elevation. Given that SMAC was released in 2000, I am really surprised that no Civ game since then has had 3d terrain and instead stuck to the needlessly shallow hill and mountain mechanic. In SMAC in particular this was really well implemented, as the amount of energy you collected depended on elevation, and artillery did more damage from higher up. And it looked good too. Overall, I am kind of disappointed the devs stuck with Civ 5 engine as it is far far from great one.

me too. plus the elevation changed win patters which effects nutrient growth downwind. It was a pretty simple concept which had radical gameplay affect. was sad to see it didn't come back.

but back to infrastructure, there is nothing that cannot be done with the exception of turning sea into land (I think, but don't quote me). There is only needed a worker improvement that can allow a unit type (land, sea, air) to be on a tile it normally cannot be on. This means that you can build canals and airports on land and bridges on sea, and tunnels through mountains.

Someone made a mod. Polder mod in the steam workshop. Built on sea. Allows land units on. Use have a problem with consuming workers but it was fixed

I've always thought the lack of canals in Civ V was bizarre, but no less bizarre than any of the other things they decided to omit.

Top Bottom