Britain Spied On UN Secretary General?

MrPresident

Anglo-Saxon Liberal
British spies listened in to UN Secretary General Kofi Annan's office in the run up to the Iraq war, former UK cabinet minister Clare Short says. Ms Short said she had read transcripts of some of Mr Annan's conversations.

She said she recalled thinking, as she talked to Mr Annan: "Oh dear, there will be a transcript of this and people will see what he and I are saying."

Tony Blair said the claims were "deeply irresponsible" and appeared to cast doubt on her future as a Labour MP.

UN officials said they did not know whether the allegations were true or not, but say such actions would have been illegal.

Full Story

It seems to be a case of bad luck. The actions may be illegal but are apparently widely practised by likes of MI5, CIA and FBI who often get away with it.

I heard about that, apparently she was a UK Translator for their military, and she got an e-mailshe wasn't supposed to get that said something about spying on UN representatives, and she passed it on to a newpaper or some media source. Apparently she didn't like what she was reading. Ya, how will this affect UK Politics? I am curious . . .

Not surprising. We and the UK and others spy on everyone anyway. I think this will be covered up or something soon enough. I mean, what is the UN going to do to the UK? It might ruffle the feathers of some of the UK population though.

Anyone shocked by this is just naive or plain dumb. On the international stage like that you want every piece of information about anyone and everyone. Doesn't matter who they are or how much you like them.

This kind of thing happens all the time. All nations spy on each other.

What's more shocking is that a former minister is blabbing on it. It's kinda like George Tenet, assuming he would get fired, as blabbing about CIA operations he doesn't agree with.

Blair should prosecute for exposure of state secrets, but he won't because he can't piss off Labour further. But I think it's a horrible example set by the minister!

Originally posted by PinkyGen
This kind of thing happens all the time. All nations spy on each other.

Right, whether this is true or not, we can't instantly assume that all of those who have aligned themselves against (for lack of a better term) the United States are not doing the same thing vis-a-vis the UN or any particular forum.

I can't believe this woman. Tony Blair should have gotten completely rid of her a long time ago. We know these things take place, but she obviously has little reservation about betraying her own country. :rolleyes:

Treasonous traitor, if death penalty weren't illegal in Britian I would be eagerly awaiting her death. :)

I really hate saying this, but I agree with Sharpe.

Yes, the UK probably did this, yes, this is going to get them in hot water.

Chances are, France, Russia, China and America (to name but those), possibly Israel and a few others, all did this. This proves nothing regarding good and evil or any such in terms of the Iraq war. It just proves most nation have little respect for international decency when it gets in the way of perceived security, which is nothing particularly new or surprising.

When the UN is hostile towards countries it shouldn't be surprised when countries are treating it as a danger.

Intelligence gathering is a legitimate tool of government, IMO. On Radio 4 this morning, Boutros Boutros-Gali (former sec-gen of the U.N.) said they knew they were being bugged, it was normal. If he wanted to discuss secrets he would go for a walk in the traffic. He was very pragmatic about this - he certainly didn't condemn the UK, he practically said that it was accepted. He also said that the U.N. should develop better anti-espionage methods.

It's a non-story IMO, everyone's at it.

Originally posted by Achinz
The actions may be illegal but are apparently widely practised by likes of MI5, CIA and FBI who often get away with it.
This sort of intelligence gathering operation would have be done by MI6 not MI5.
Originally posted by archer_007
How is this going to affect UK politics?
It may hurt Tony Blair's traditional Labour supporters who find such actions like this disconcerting. Also it will probably have some effect on the Official Secret's Act, which is already under review due to the recent collapse of a trial against a woman at GCHQ who released secret documents to the press about an American request to bug Security Council members.

Top Bottom