BTS Beta-3

Would be better to play BTS HOF on 3.02 because it has less bugs, generally in civilopedia. I use civilopedia quite often so can't update to 3.03 :/ hope the new patch will be out soon

One of the best parts of playing on marathon was that the AI civs that started with hunting had an awful rough time defending against the starting warrior :mischief:

You can warriorrush 3 civs easily on this diff even on epic. Just first warr takes 1st city, then when 2-3 up get 2nd and 4-5 to 4th. Problem is that then your island is empty and then you have to research everything! On bonus side you can then skip alphabet :) If you pick religious civs on those four you can have easily religs without researching them and therefore getting faster to pottery to increase research.

Tried on quick, rushed 3 civs and left 4th to trade but it was badly chosen AI didnt want to trade with me. Also map was too foresty, took too long to get cottages up.

-Dracandross

Would be better to play BTS HOF on 3.02 because it has less bugs, generally in civilopedia. I use civilopedia quite often so can't update to 3.03 :/ hope the new patch will be out soon

yeah i'm sticking with 3.02 myself, and so i don't use the HoF mod for my BtS games.

they released the change list for the BtS patch, but didn't give a date other than "not this week". i hope that when they release it, they fix what they broke in 3.03 and that i can go back to using the current patch, and thus HoF :).

and so i don't use the HoF mod for my BtS games.

:eek: What? :trouble:

Hehe.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, but can't you use the 3.03.001 HOF Mod with version 3.02? I'm sure that you can, so you all may want to try it. Just a suggestion, but submit a duel marathon settler game with one opponent, your talking a few minutes and you can learn right away whether its good or not.

I'd try it for you, but just a few days ago I finally upgraded to 3.03 myself. :sad:

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, but can't you use the 3.03.001 HOF Mod with version 3.02? I'm sure that you can, so you all may want to try it.

oh i'd assumed i couldn't, since the download page says "Note that this mod is intended to be used with a standard Civ4 Beyond the Sword install patched to 3.03." i'll try it after i finish my game that's using solver's mod (he added more events), thanks!

Got 1440Ad (epic, gandhi), captured only London. Problem is that if rushing too fast city maintenance will kill research. Gotta try rushing 2 instead. Also built only 4 cities and remembered too late that globe needs 5. Also popped at least 3 prophets because AI wanted me to go for priests and didnt notice (although oracle helped a bit too). Not that 1 GAge nor holy building wont do good but 3rd was absolytely waste.

-Dracandross

Nice finishing date :goodjob:

I just wonder how you get your finances up with Gandhi. When I try to play him, with 4 early cities my research is down to 40-50%. Not enough to get such an early finish date. Perhaps you have some more details for your early turns?

Nice finishing date :goodjob:

I just wonder how you get your finances up with Gandhi. When I try to play him, with 4 early cities my research is down to 40-50%. Not enough to get such an early finish date. Perhaps you have some more details for your early turns?

Hmm, I think I didn't even do very good job there though couldnt improve, got another at 1440 and 3rd 1430. Starting city should have good research potential for example gold or gems and floods for cottage spam. Usually few of other cities have at least seafood that give nice coins, but needs detour to fishing though (could go road+fish instead of agri if lotsa seafood there). If you plan to take 3-4 cities remember that your capital should be in the middle of those or upkeep will kill you. Also moving bit closer to AI cities might do the job.

Don't mind if your research drops low early on when you get 4 cities up with few cottages they start to work. AI research is so slow on this difficulty so you can easily aim for growing. Wait a while at least with 1-2 of the cities so that AI pops worker. First 2 cities should go with 1-2 warrs and 3rd might take 3. So you need to build maximum of 5 those which will give garrison for each too.

I think I researched buddhism (maybe hinduism too) then went for pottery, writing. Not sure if I had AIs left so might skipped alpha and shot for math+col. Slighshotted CS as you can have 2 prophets in this one, early one will give nicely holy city and second for GA.

-Dracandross

Hmm, I think I didn't even do very good job there though couldnt improve, got another at 1440 and 3rd 1430. Starting city should have good research potential for example gold or gems and floods for cottage spam. Usually few of other cities have at least seafood that give nice coins, but needs detour to fishing though (could go road+fish instead of agri if lotsa seafood there). If you plan to take 3-4 cities remember that your capital should be in the middle of those or upkeep will kill you. Also moving bit closer to AI cities might do the job.

Don't mind if your research drops low early on when you get 4 cities up with few cottages they start to work. AI research is so slow on this difficulty so you can easily aim for growing. Wait a while at least with 1-2 of the cities so that AI pops worker. First 2 cities should go with 1-2 warrs and 3rd might take 3. So you need to build maximum of 5 those which will give garrison for each too.

I think I researched buddhism (maybe hinduism too) then went for pottery, writing. Not sure if I had AIs left so might skipped alpha and shot for math+col. Slighshotted CS as you can have 2 prophets in this one, early one will give nicely holy city and second for GA.

-Dracandross

So you don't keep the AI for trading - you just use them to avoid building settlers. Are you playing with 7 opponents or 4?

When attacking you normally loose 1 warrior. Are 5 really enough to take 3 cities? Never tried that. Could be nice if it works.

So you don't keep the AI for trading - you just use them to avoid building settlers. Are you playing with 7 opponents or 4?

When attacking you normally loose 1 warrior. Are 5 really enough to take 3 cities? Never tried that. Could be nice if it works.

Well if I delay capturing AI cities they build archers and few warriors wont do the job. Also capitals are better positioned. So yes I kill those or all but one (mansa as he trades everything) on my island. Therefore of course max opponents.

When you attack AI has either no warriors or just 1. 1-2 cities go with no defenders and 1-3 then with 1 warrior for a total of 3 to 4 cities. If they are not on a hill you lose usually just one warrior. Therefore you need just max 3 warriors to waste. Also 2nd warrior gets promo to increase effectiveness. This works on normal+ on this diff easily I think but at least with epic+. On quick just 1 city less or few warrs more.

-Dracandross

Well if I delay capturing AI cities they build archers and few warriors wont do the job. Also capitals are better positioned. So yes I kill those or all but one (mansa as he trades everything) on my island. Therefore of course max opponents.

When you attack AI has either no warriors or just 1. 1-2 cities go with no defenders and 1-3 then with 1 warrior for a total of 3 to 4 cities. If they are not on a hill you lose usually just one warrior. Therefore you need just max 3 warriors to waste. Also 2nd warrior gets promo to increase effectiveness. This works on normal+ on this diff easily I think but at least with epic+. On quick just 1 city less or few warrs more.

-Dracandross

Thanks, thats what I haven't tried yet. Getting my 4 cities through conquer on a crowded map. I'll try this. Thanks

Having your first cities on small unconnected islands is a real pain - leaves you with poor growth/production or economy -

Got 1440Ad (epic, gandhi), captured only London. Problem is that if rushing too fast city maintenance will kill research. Gotta try rushing 2 instead. Also built only 4 cities and remembered too late that globe needs 5. Also popped at least 3 prophets because AI wanted me to go for priests and didnt notice (although oracle helped a bit too). Not that 1 GAge nor holy building wont do good but 3rd was absolytely waste.

-Dracandross

You just beat me. I got 1465 on epic with Gandhi. Took 2 nearby capitals with the warrior rush (somehow it just feels dirty but it sure is effective). I luckily avoided a GP when the governor decided that I should run prophets instead of artists but it still probably cost me a turn since that city was the last to get enough culture (by 1 turn). I hadn't done cultural for a long time so I might be able to save a few turns off but I'm happy with my game. Interesting note there were no wars the entire game. Probably because everyone else was buddist (the one religion I didn't have) and I was able to keep them all happy enough not declare on me. Oh I guess that isn't strictly true since I did destroy 2 civs but those hardly seemed like wars since they lasted all of two turns.

1775 with Oranje. I'm not the fastest in the world, but it did give me the chance to try a few things :)

1690AD here. Didn't want to do a warrior rush but still wanted AI capitals, so I did a Dog Soldier rush, and built just about every wonder I could until hitting Liberalism when I realised Cahokia was popping out GA's and neither Thebes or Washington was. Then just ran at 100% :culture: until hitting 50k for all cities.

Yesterday I made my last try with this gauntlet with Gandhi. Had a really nice start, founded 5 religions, let Churchill survive on initial continent for trading. When I am already in culture phase Catherine discovered us and I started to trade missing technologies. She was so pleased, she offered a "defensive pact" 2 rounds before I got my 3 legendary city in 16xx. I accepted this offer to be sure she is calm. I pressed Enter and ... she declared war and immediately captured my 3rd legendary city one turn before finish.

Catherine - now the same will happen as last time you did it. My next game I will choose her as my civ.

Yesterday I made my last try with this gauntlet with Gandhi. Had a really nice start, founded 5 religions, let Churchill survive on initial continent for trading. When I am already in culture phase Catherine discovered us and I started to trade missing technologies. She was so pleased, she offered a "defensive pact" 2 rounds before I got my 3 legendary city in 16xx. I accepted this offer to be sure she is calm. I pressed Enter and ... she declared war and immediately captured my 3rd legendary city one turn before finish.

Catherine - now the same will happen as last time you did it. My next game I will choose her as my civ.

Wow that sucks! Culture games I still have a military city that pumps out units to keep my power graph at a decent level to try and avoid DoW. How did she capture your city the same turn she declared? Shouldn't it have had a large culture boundary if it was nearly legendary? Even naval invasion take 2 turns. Better luck next time.

Wow that sucks! Culture games I still have a military city that pumps out units to keep my power graph at a decent level to try and avoid DoW. How did she capture your city the same turn she declared? Shouldn't it have had a large culture boundary if it was nearly legendary? Even naval invasion take 2 turns. Better luck next time.

Yes, she had the circum bonus and the city only had 1 warrior. So she attacked from sea. When I met her I know she is someone attacking from behind I tried everything to get her pleased. And when whe offered a "defensive pact" I thought "Yeah, now I have it" and then I hit enter ...

Pleased isnt good enough for Catherine. She'll still attack at pleased (sometimes).

Pleased isnt good enough for Catherine. She'll still attack at pleased (sometimes).

I know that - but the funny thing was - she attacked 1 turn after I signed a "defensive pact" offered by her!

This gauntlet is now complete. It was won by Peluin 1380AD with a Marathon game. Dracandross came 2nd in 1430AD with another Marathon game and Bozso77 came 3rd in 1520AD with a Quick game.

2 new Gauntlets have now started, G-Major 16 and BTS-Beta 4.

Top Bottom