[BtS] JKP1187's NOT JUST ANOTHER NEXTWAR MOD

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I will look into it and see if I can reproduce it. Do you have a save file for when this was happening, by any chance?

I just did some fishing about and, from what I understand, it seems this particular problem has already been noted and fixed. Let me know if you still need a save file.

I can re-arrange what date corresponds to what year, no problem. I wasn't worrying about that when I added the extra turns in. I personally don't care about what the "date" is since the no. of turns are more important, but it adds to the flavor for a lot of people, so I'll take that into account.

Well its two problems. One is purely flavour. The other is that I just think the tech costs are too low, but that goes for modern era techs too. Both problems are probably just my personal taste so don't consider it a priority.

Hmm. This is an excellent point. The times I've played it, I was a little annoyed at how the AI went crazy building Arcologies while there were still normal present-day stuff to be had (i.e., they can't build stealth bombers, but they CAN build arcologies.) I've thought about changing Arcology to require both hydroponics and another tech (such as Composities) to delay it a little. I also may increase the hammer cost for such things -- your arguments make sense.

Well I'd certainly agree with anything that makes them come later or be a bit harder to create.

Oh -- what game level/speed were you playing?
Monarch/Marathon

I just did some fishing about and, from what I understand, it seems this particular problem has already been noted and fixed. Let me know if you still need a save file.

Cool. I'd gone thru Chiyu's thread earlier, but I must've missed the arcology discussion. Let me look into it a little more -- it's possible that the designers intended for the previous shielding layer to be removed.

Well its two problems. One is purely flavour. The other is that I just think the tech costs are too low, but that goes for modern era techs too. Both problems are probably just my personal taste so don't consider it a priority.

Well, I've been meaning to re-arrange the date/turn ratio. I think 2100AD is a good 'end' point for the NextWar mod in any event, so I'll see what can be done to bump it up to there. Admittedly, I almost never play on Marathon, so it's good to hear feedback about that level, too.

Thanks again for the feedback; please feel free to post any other suggestions or bug reports.

By the way, this is how the Marathon turns per month work out for this mod (earliest eras are at the top, the later eras are at the bottom):

Code:
            <GameTurnInfos>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>180</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>120</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>300</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>60</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>170</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>201</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>129</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>6</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>180</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>3</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>264</iTurnsPerIncrement>
                </GameTurnInfo>
                <GameTurnInfo>
                    <iMonthIncrement>1</iMonthIncrement>
                    <iTurnsPerIncrement>231</iTurnsPerIncrement>

iMonthIncrement refers to how many months on the in-game clock pass per each turn. (E.g., 12 = 1 year, 24 = 2 years, if less than 12 months, you get a month added to the title "January 2021".) In this case, going backwards from the bottom:

231 turns @ 1 month/turn = 19.25 years
264 turns @ 3 months/turn = 66 years
180 turns @ 6 months/turn = 90 years
129 turns @ 12 months/turn = 129 years

As it happens, I only altered the chronologically last value -- so in the vanilla game, the marathon there are only 156 turns @ 1 month/turn = 13 years for the final round. So though I've padded marathon by 75 turns, in-game, this only results in an increase of 6.25 years. Perhaps, instead, I'll add 40 turns to the 12 months/turn era, then space the rest out so that the game ends at 2100AD.

As for tech speed, well, the values are what they are, and I'm not inclined to change those absent a lot of playtesting. I will say, however, that the Marathon speed increases tech costs by 300%, which makes sense because it has increased overall number of turns by 300%. (Normal speed being the baseline). So if you're tech'ing too quiickly, maybe it's time to go to Emperor? :worship:

Yep, I reproduced the problem and the code in the thread above worked to fix it. An update to the mod including this and a few other things (including two NextWar-specific random events: Sensors and The_Cylons) will be forthcoming this weekend.

Updated.

v.0.98
1.) Added New NextWar-specific Events:

*Sensors (NextWar only) prereq: must have one Stealth Destroyer, must have Tech_Shielding
1.) All Stealth Destroyers receive Sentry promotion.

*The Cylons (NextWar only) prereq: civ can't be at war, some civ must have Tech_Cloning, some civ must have built a Cloning Factory.
1.) Groups of barbarian Automatons appear inside civ's borders. Total number depends on map size.

(See here for descriptions of new events from JKP1187's Events mod)

2.) Restore Arcology City Ruins to CvEventManager -- now if a city with an arcology is razed, the special arcology ruins will be shown.

3.) I restored the resource depletion code and nuke/cracked egg code -- I did NOT activate it, though, it is commented out. This is just for my convenience. I am thinking about returning the resource depletion function to this mod, although I am undecided whether or not I will use the same values given in the original NextWar mod.

4.) GameSpeedInfos: re-worked the math so that the game will always end at 2100AD now.

5.) Fix Python Callback for Arcology/Shielding/Advanced Shielding. Now properly Arcology building is replaced with Arcology Shielding, which is in turn replaced by Advanced Shielding. Also Arc Shielding and Adv Shielding given +3 health to correspond to Arcology (Adv Shielding already had +1 health so this means ttl of +4 health for it.) (Thanks: Chiyu and Lumpthing).

6.) NextWar main title screen now shows regardless of which screen chosen by user.

7.) Partisans -- this event now only fires with Emancipation...and should fire every time a city owned by a civ running Emancipation is razed. This will not fire for civs NOT running Emancipation, as it had been doing in the past.

8.) Increased building costs:
Arcology: from 250 hammers, now 500 hammers.
Arcology Shielding: from 150 hammers, now 300 hammers.
Advanced Shielding: from 200 hammers, now 400 hammers.
(Credit to Lumpthing for the idea) The rationale here is that these buildings are monumental constructs that require massive amounts of resources as well as a radical re-structuring of society. The cost should be commensurate.

9.) Clarified civilopedia text regarding replacement of arcology/arcology shielding/advanced shielding, per #8.

10.) ExoticForeignAdvisor.py file moved to the "Screens" folder as it is supposed to be! ("Glance" tab now available for use -- sorry, I hadn't realized it was in the wrong folder until now.)

11.) [EDIT: THIS WAS REMOVED BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET IT TO WORK PROPERLY]
iCulturepercent increased by 3% for all game speeds. Did this to make culture wins take a little longer to balance out the longer turns.

As always, please let me know if you see any bugs.

Downloading. Thanks for the work.

Ok, is it just me or is there a download link missing in the first post ?

As it happens, I only altered the chronologically last value -- so in the vanilla game, the marathon there are only 156 turns @ 1 month/turn = 13 years for the final round. So though I've padded marathon by 75 turns, in-game, this only results in an increase of 6.25 years. Perhaps, instead, I'll add 40 turns to the 12 months/turn era, then space the rest out so that the game ends at 2100AD.

In my opinion the important thing is to make the acquirement of all the modern techs correspond roughly with today, or the near future.

Personally I think 12 months per turn is just too much, it just doesn't seem to make sense with the population growth and technological changes etc. I think 3 months per turn is pushing it too. So I would probably just ditch these last two phases and have the 6 months per turn phase take on all their turns.

As for tech speed, well, the values are what they are, and I'm not inclined to change those absent a lot of playtesting. I will say, however, that the Marathon speed increases tech costs by 300%, which makes sense because it has increased overall number of turns by 300%. (Normal speed being the baseline). So if you're tech'ing too quiickly, maybe it's time to go to Emperor? :worship:

Hehe, well I would do but I'm technologically more or less equal with the other powerful civs, so I'd only have to get the techs even faster on emperor.

Updated to v. 0.991. Fixed the bug I caused and made a few additions besides.

v.0.991

* Removed the code that increased culture costs, because the game threw a fit when I tried to use it. I missed it before releasing 0.991.

* Added new events from JKP1187's Events (Darwin's Voyage, The Buccaneeers, Blackbeard).

* Fixed small bug in The Cylons event.

* Added new Diplomatic music for Stalin Middle and Late diplomatic eras. To the best of my knowledge, the music included is in the public domain. Both files are available for free download here:
http://www.hymn.ru/index-en.html
If that is not the case and you are the copyright holder, please contact me via PM at the Civilization Fanatics Center or the Apolyton Civilization Site. My userid is: jkp1187.

Stalin's early diplomatic music remains Peter's Volga Boatsmans' tune.

* Added new flags for America, England, France, Spain, Russia, France, Germany, India, Rome, and Arabia. Most of these are from Bad Ronald's flag mod, which can be viewed here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=194319

* Switched colors of Russia and England.
Russia = white, England = dark red.

from v.0.98:

1.) Added New Events:
*Darwin's Voyage
*The Buccaneers
*Sensors (NextWar specific)
*The Cylons (NextWar specific)
2.) Restored Arcology City Ruins to CvEventManager -- now if a city with an arcology is razed, the special arcology ruins will be shown.
3.) I restored the resource depletion code and nuke/cracked egg code -- I did NOT activate it, though, it is commented out. This is just for my convenience. I am thinking about returning the resource depletion function to this mod, although I am undecided whether or not I will use the same values given in the original NextWar mod. (I do not intend to restore the cracked egg code.)
4.) GameSpeedInfos: re-worked the math so that the game will always end at 2100AD now.
5.) Fix Python Callback for Arcology/Shielding/Advanced Shielding. Now properly Arcology building is replaced with Arcology Shielding, which is in turn replaced by Advanced Shielding. Also Arc Shielding and Adv Shielding given +3 health to correspond to Arcology (Adv Shielding already had +1 health so this means ttl of +4 health for it.) (Thanks: Chiyu and Lumpthing).
6.) NextWar main title screen now shows regardless of which screen chosen by user.
7.) Partisans -- this event now only fires with Emancipation...and should fire every time a city owned by a civ running Emancipation is razed. This will not fire for civs NOT running Emancipation, as it had been doing in the past.
8.) Increased building costs:
Arcology: from 250 hammers, now 500 hammers.
Arcology Shielding: from 150 hammers, now 300 hammers.
Advanced Shielding: from 200 hammers, now 400 hammers.
(Credit to Lumpthing for the idea) The rationale here is that these buildings are monumental constructs that require massive amounts of resources as well as a radical re-structuring of society. The cost should be commensurate.
9.) Clarified civilopedia text regarding replacement of arcology/arcology shielding/advanced shielding, per #8.
10.) ExoticForeignAdvisor.py file moved to the "Screens" folder as it is supposed to be! ("Glance" tab now available for use -- sorry, I hadn't realized it was in the wrong folder until now.)
11.) iCulturepercent increased by 3% for all game speeds. Did this to make culture wins take a little longer to balance out the longer turns. {NOTE: THIS CODE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM LATER VERSIONS BECAUSE IT DID NOT WORK}

I know its probably too late for the latest update but in the future it would be great if you could make a note of the files that have been changed in the latest update. This is because I've made a few changes to the game itself, amounting to my own mini-mod, and it would make merging my mod with yours easier.

I know its probably too late for the latest update but in the future it would be great if you could make a note of the files that have been changed in the latest update. This is because I've made a few changes to the game itself, amounting to my own mini-mod, and it would make merging my mod with yours easier.

I will try to keep that in mind, though it's hard to juggle everything...

For this one, a LOT of files were touched. Basically all the events files were updated, several new XML and sound files were added, the XML files controlling sound were edited, several python files were edited, XML text files were changed.

Basically, between 0.93 and 0.991, a lot of the files were changed in one way or another. Note especially that the ExoticForeignAdvisor.py file was unchanged, but it was moved to its proper location. Also, don't forget that PythonCallbackDefines.xml in the ASSETS folder WAS changed (it's easy to miss where it is.)

IIRC, these were the files that were unchanged:

Spoiler :

*CvGameUtils.py

*Everything in the folder: \Mods\JKP1187's NOT JUST ANOTHER NEXTWAR MOD\Assets\Sounds

*CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml

*CIV4ArtDefines_Improvement.xml

*CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml

*CIV4UnitCombatInfos.xml

*CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml

*CIV4EventSchema.xml

*CIV4EraInfos.xml

*CIV4ProjectInfo.xml

*CIV4TechInfos.xml

*EVerything in the folder: Mods\JKP1187's NOT JUST ANOTHER NEXTWAR MOD\Assets\XML\Terrain

*NextWarBtSGameTextObjects.xml

*Everything in the folder: Mods\JKP1187's NOT JUST ANOTHER NEXTWAR MOD\Assets\XML\Units

Everything else was edited, changed, or is new in one form or another.

If you're not using one, I highly recommend that you use a text comparing program like WinMerge (which can be downloaded for free online).

Thanks; in that case the only files in your mod I'll be needing to edit again are CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml and CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml. I assume the latest changes you made have to do with the flags.

Yes, and sound files.

Sorry -- my list above was wrong. Stalin's new music goes in the Diplomacy folder under /Sounds. :p My brain must have been fried when I wrote that.

Check everything! Everything! :crazyeye:

JKP -- Just finished my first game with your mod. Immortal diplomatic victory as Stalin after luckily getting a permanent alliance with Sitting Bull. 8 civilizations, standard timing, etc.

Just downloaded the latest version and will start a new game this week. Will probably bump it down a level....had I not got the permanent alliance, would have finished in 3rd or 4th place.

I agree with some earlier posters that the technology in the end of the game is too quick. I like what you are implementing to slow it down a bit.

Great job with the mod, I enjoyed my game a lot.

JKP -- Just finished my first game with your mod. Immortal diplomatic victory as Stalin after luckily getting a permanent alliance with Sitting Bull. 8 civilizations, standard timing, etc.

Just downloaded the latest version and will start a new game this week. Will probably bump it down a level....had I not got the permanent alliance, would have finished in 3rd or 4th place.

I agree with some earlier posters that the technology in the end of the game is too quick. I like what you are implementing to slow it down a bit.

Great job with the mod, I enjoyed my game a lot.

Immortal victory??!? I haven't even won a game on Emperor yet. :bowdown:

Thanks for the feedback. If you play as Stalin using 0.991, let me know how you like the music!

Immortal victory??!? I haven't even won a game on Emperor yet.

I mostly play between Monarch and Emperor...Monarch too easy, Emperor generally too hard. I figured since it was a longer time based mod, Immortal would be more like Emperor.....I was wrong.

Believe me, had I not lucked into a Permanent Alliance, I would not have won...I went from industrial age to future age through the alliance.

I do like the midgame and lategame music for Stalin.....it sent chills down my spine a few years ago when I went to a CSKA hockey game in Moscow (they were the former Red Army team) and they played this anthem as the national anthem.

Well, I finally came round to merging your mod and the Rvolution mod I mentioned and it appears to be working.
Oddly enough there weren't any duplicate files at all so no need (apparently) for merging.
It started mighty fine, wether ot not it'll play fine is a wholly different discussion.
I'm going to play this new combination a bit, see if I'm allowed to maintain my optimism :D

Top Bottom