Bug discovered on the Mac OS X version

Jarek Noschese

Prince Gordon
Just purchased a new MacBook from eBay (cost me $136), here are the specs...

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave)
Screen Size: 13 inches, Aluminum-coated
Year: late 2008 (I would've been in 4th grade, so 10 years old, then.)
Hard Disk Drive Space: 160 GB
RAM: 4 GB, 1067 MHz DDR3
CPU: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics: 256 MB Video RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9400M
Condition: Refurbished/Useable
Supported Removable Media Formats: CDs, DVDs and USB Drives

I was about to plug away with some good old Alpha Centauri too. However, that's when I discovered another bug. Every time I make a selection, my cursor disappears. If I press a unit-related hotkey however, it shows up again. On the other hand, this only works if I'm focusing on the map exclusively. The cursor will disappear again as soon as I bring up any of the menus. Therefore, I can't tell what I'm trying to select unless it's highlighted. This makes navigating the menus aggravating; forcing me to use the old way of Command+Q in order to exit the game. Trust me. There's no way that I'm actually going to start a game with this problem. I was merely trying to disable and enable the preferences the way that I liked it. It's totally impossible now (or at least close to it) for me to navigate preferences with a ton of options for them. For example, I can neither adjust the sound volumes; nor the warning preferences. However, I can goof around with other settings; though it's much harder: and I avert Windows due to the notoriously insecure Win32 protocol. Like... Help, please?!

Update: never mind. I just included "DirectDraw=0" in the .ini file for the game ["Alpha Centauri" section]. Once the game registered the change, the issue subsided.

Top Bottom