BugOptions - cannot locate settings folder.

Gorey

Prince
i get this error now in the "messages" window at the top of the screen. the error message is duplicated to fill the entire window and i never get any messages now. i have to open the log window to see them.

i had just recently upgraded to the latest SVN of BUG & BULL (+ the 3.19 patch). i have it installed in my custom assets folder. prior to the upgrade i deleted my custom assests folder and anything elese relating to BUG (such as the BUG MOD folder that holds the settings etc.).

i see there is a new user settings folder instead of a BUG MOD folder, but it appears that BUG doesn't see it.

any suggestions?

i didn't really do anything different than what i normaly do when installing it. so im not sure whats causing it other than the settings folder appears to have changed names in this release.

nevermind, after some serious combing through posts i found my answer, even though it was for a different problem.

quoted from that post:
Ah, I see what happened. The SVN is currently in a limbo state during these changes. To fix it go to your My Games / BTS folder (where the Logs folder is) and

1. Create a folder called "BUG Mod"
  2. Move the "Info" and "UserSettings" folders into it

worked.

the error message went away, but it seems my settings don't save between game starts now. did i miss a step? just move those two folders into a folder named "Bug Mod"?

weird.

i'll keep fiddling with it.

Turn on logging in CivilizationIV.ini (LoggingEnabled = 1), start/load a game, change your settings, exit. Now post the contents of Logs/PythonErr.log and PythonDbg.log.

Sorry about the confusion with the settings folders. When you install from the EXE, it will create all the right folders for you. We didn't quite think far enough ahead about SVN users when changing around the structure. The SVN will now work better for those installing BUG as a mod with more PITA factor for those installing to CustomAssets.

It was a necessary evil, however.

Turn on logging in CivilizationIV.ini (LoggingEnabled = 1), start/load a game, change your settings, exit. Now post the contents of Logs/PythonErr.log and PythonDbg.log.

Sorry about the confusion with the settings folders. When you install from the EXE, it will create all the right folders for you. We didn't quite think far enough ahead about SVN users when changing around the structure. The SVN will now work better for those installing BUG as a mod with more PITA factor for those installing to CustomAssets.

It was a necessary evil, however.

nvm, seems to be working.

nvm, seems to be working.

Ok I can't find either an "Info" or "UserSettings" folder at all under my documents or program file/firaxis. I installed BUG as a mod and it is in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod 3.6. So than I copied the SVN release over the files in that directory and of course I'm getting this msg pythondbg.log

01:14:25 ERROR: BugOptions - Cannot locate settings folder
01:14:38 DEBUG: StatusDump-Start-1

Sorry to be a PITA, but if there is no info or usersettings what do I do?

I installed BUG as a mod.

Ah, I missed that part. Make sure that you copied all the files in the RAR's CustomAssets over those in your Assets folder.

1. Go to the "BUG Mod 3.6" folder and create two folders: Info and UserSettings.

2. Move the help (.chm), changelog.txt, and license.txt files into Info.

3. Move all the INI files except "BUG Mod 3.6.ini" into UserSettings. Also move the CustDomAdv folder into UserSettings.

Did I miss any files?

Ah, I missed that part. Make sure that you copied all the files in the RAR's CustomAssets over those in your Assets folder.

1. Go to the "BUG Mod 3.6" folder and create two folders: Info and UserSettings.

2. Move the help (.chm), changelog.txt, and license.txt files into Info.

3. Move all the INI files except "BUG Mod 3.6.ini" into UserSettings. Also move the CustDomAdv folder into UserSettings.

Did I miss any files?

Copied the few .ini I found, than cleared cache, restarted game and ran quick test and exited. It created a dozen more .ini files in the /usersettings folder and seems to be running perfectly fine now.

Other than these in the pythondbg:
04:31:07 DEBUG: BugPath - not a file: 'C:\Documents and Settings\ryan\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\Config\Advanced Combat Odds.xml'
04:31:07 DEBUG: BugInit - loading mod Advanced Combat Odds...
04:31:07 INFO : BugCore - creating uninitialized mod ACO

It has this occasionally "not a file" for BUG main interface, BUG city screen, BUG advisors, better espionage, and a few others so I don't know if it is successfully loading these submods or not.

Thanks

It has this occasionally "not a file" for BUG main interface, BUG city screen, BUG advisors, better espionage, and a few others so I don't know if it is successfully loading these submods or not.

It looks first in CustomAssets for the file and next in the Mods folder if not found, that it says it is loading the mod next and seems to work means everything is okay.

I keep getting this error every time I log in game with the latest version of BT5

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 262
@Shakamustdie - Make sure you have permission to write into that folder and that it exists of course. If that doesn't work, run BTS as Administrator, though that's not ideal.

@Shakamustdie - Make sure you have permission to write into that folder and that it exists of course. If that doesn't work, run BTS as Administrator, though that's not ideal.

I just ran into this problem after merging Afforess' Advanced Diplomacy into RevDCM. I changed nothing other than the necessary files for AD. Suddenly I'm getting that dreaded message. Would you happen to know why or have any suggestions?

Mike

Never mind! I have resolved the problem. For anyone who has the same problem in the future, this is what I did:

1. Turn ON Python exceptions

2. Pay close attention to EVERY message. Most do not really effect game play, but one or two of them will

In my case, it was the CVModName.py file. I had the wrong mod name. I changed it and the message scroll now works as it should (without sacrificing the mod itself).

Apparently, most mods/merged components do not require this file to properly reflect the mod being used - this one does. So, if all folders and files other than those changed are the same, this error could possible be caused by the above file containing the wrong mod name.

Does BUG not create the settings folder if it doesn't exist?

The location of the .ini files is hardcoded in python AND you force the user to manually copy over the settings folder? This seems kind of ass-backwards and is a bit surprising considering how malleable this mod was designed to be.

Does BUG not create the settings folder if it doesn't exist

After poking around through the files, it does seem as if BUG is supposed to create the .ini files if it can't find them, but this is not happening. Any suggestions?

I know it knows where the folder should be, because if I manually add the User Settigs folder with pre-existing .ini files to the proper location, BUG starts up fine. But if I delete that folder, I get the ever-popular 'cannot locate settings folder' error messages.

Top Bottom