Building a new computer

If it does truly use a 6-core CPU, then the X6 will be one of the cheapest ways to get the maximum performance out of Civ 5.

Just got the components in the mail today (newegg messed up the shipping...grr...) It took me and a friend a good 2.5 hours to install everything since it was both of our first times. But as soon as we plugged her in and turned her on, everything worked like a charm. She's sitting under my desk purring like a little kitty now :love:

Civ 5, here I come!

Just got the components in the mail today (newegg messed up the shipping...grr...) It took me and a friend a good 2.5 hours to install everything since it was both of our first times. But as soon as we plugged her in and turned her on, everything worked like a charm. She's sitting under my desk purring like a little kitty now :love:

Civ 5, here I come!

Building a PC is incredibly daunting until you realize that everything on the motherboard really only has one place it could possibly fit into.

It's not getting the cooling right and frying it that scares me.

I actually had the most trouble installing the gpu. My HD 5830 is huge! The thing is like a freaking baseball bat. It just barely fit into the case. Though I suppose the size helps with the heat dissipation quite a lot.

It's not getting the cooling right and frying it that scares me.

Basically if you're worried, don't install the video card until you feel that you have the temperature right with the other components installed.

But basically read the mobo schematic and plug the fans in, including CPU fan and it should work hunkey-dorey for the initial build.

EDIT: and the trick with applying the thermal paste between the CPU and the CPU heatsink is that "less is better" as long as you get complete coverage. Too much and it'll seep out and possibly cause a short on the mobo.

Yeah, typically a non-OC'd system is designed to run fine with a chassis fan and the CPU fan, as long as you arent in a room with like 40C/110F ambient temperature. Many boards also have a failsafe built in that will shut down the CPU at a certain temperature.

Top Bottom