Caesar has Fallen AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM Caesar has Fallen After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory type, date, and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game
Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with Religion ?
- How did you pump your Science ?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- How was the new game mode?
- Did you enjoy the game?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Thanks for the game, the map was really great - i didn't realize immediately where i was located (as I expected to be in Italy for some reason!) but then it was fun to discover all Africa, Turkey, France, a bit of Spain, the islands. Really nice map.

Domination victory turn 235

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Start was obviously very slow with the super-flat and arid land around me. But I didn't really know what to expect (where were the other players located for example) so I didn't try to rush anything, just slowly build things. I didn't build any campus before settling a couple of settlers in the east next to the mountain range. I also prioritized a bit more naval units and cartography, as I soon discovered that it was impossible to reach main Europe via land. In the end game I rushed Niter and frigates to defeat Italy-Rome, and then planes to capture the capital of Central-Europe Rome.

- Did you bother with Religion ? I didn't rush it as I was kinda sure to get one, so i just plugged the card for the +2 prophets points. I also took desert folkore as a pantheon, so I built a couple of holy sites to first have a monumentality and second be able to build units with faith (building of gov plaza). I could buy a couple of tanks army at the end, and this came handy.

- How did you pump your Science ? It was hard to have a good science. The adjacencies were quite far and the cities settled next to the mountains were quite bad, with little to no wood or stones for chop. I was really afraid that the two other Rome would fully out-tech me. I think i got lucky that Italy-Rome was on the coast and didn't prioritize frigates, and that Central-Europe Rome didn't seem to have any aluminum. However it was not that fun, as I had to deal with machine gun and infantery armies while having no more than cuirassiers.

- Were City-States helpful? With so many of them, they sure were. Special mention to Nazca who helped me increase my faith a lot, to Kumasi, and to all sciences city states.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Well the entire map was a surprise. I didn^t know who would be the other players (was expecting Gaul and Carthage). Obviously having no way to reach Europe except than via water was an issue, so I settled two cities in Greece as soon as I could to be able to purchase naval units for my invasion.

- How was the new game mode? It was good, I like it, it gives a bit of surprise now and then.

- Did you enjoy the game? Yes, although not a big fan of domination-centered game, I appreciated that there were only 2 other civs to defeat. Would not have pushed to the end if the entire map was packed with contestants!

Attachments

• TrajanSpecial_VictoryScreen.png
    TrajanSpecial_VictoryScreen.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 147
  • TRAJAN 235 1620 AD.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
Domination Victory Turn 290. Unfortunately, it was not a clean playthrough, as I made a really boneheaded but critical error that completely destroyed my game plan (or so I thought- see below). Since I was still relatively early in the game, rather than continue pointlessly I played again from a second start.
First, kudos to the GOTM team for a really interesting game that presented a lot of challenges new to me. I have never played on a huge map, nor against so few opponents, both of which really did affect the game play I realized. The map itself was very interesting and forced me to completely reverse my initial game plan.
In GOTM 105, also a Domination game, I wasted a lot of time getting a religion that didn't serve my win condition very well, so I approached this game not planning for any religion. But after about 15-20 turns of looking around, it became clear that the most salient feature of the map was a real dearth of production. But there was a lot of desert. So I reversed my thinking and settled on a plan to generate early production using Desert Folklore and Work Ethic. I stopped everything else and researched Astrology, then built a holy site. When I went to check on the Great People points, I was dismayed to see that a religion had already been founded ! (presumably because someone else had built Stonehenge), but luckily had chosen Feed the World as founder belief. Moreover, another civ was starting to generate a lot of Great Prophet points, more than just the one from my sole holy site. Was it the same civ with the extant religion or the other competing civ? No way to tell, and I expected that with only three competing civs that only two religions would be allowed. So I immediately started holy site prayers, but even that wouldn't be enough. Luckily I was close to Poli Phi and had already researched Mysticism, so could use the Revelation card and still get a religion with its help.
But here's the error- when I went to check back in a bit later, I realized I had slotted the Inspiration card by mistake, and was generating Great Scientist points instead of Great Prophet points! It was at that point too late to catch up, and I figured that most likely I had lost the chance to get the religion I needed. Since not much of note had really happened in the game with such faraway civs, rather than continue I just re-started and re-played as best I could to that point, but this time made sure to get the right cards and obtained the second religion. Curiously, as the game went on, I realized that all three civs were allowed to found religions, which I did not expect. Has there been some kind of rule change in that regard? If I had known that could happen I probably would have soldiered on, hoping that the other civ took something other than Work Ethic. Oh well. I'm glad to have secured the religion I did, as every belief was actually really important to the game play. In addition to Work Ethic I chose Cross Cultural Dialogue (which helped a lot with science, especially with such poor campus adjacencies initially), Gurdwara (which helped with city growth in desert-heavy cities) and Crusade (which helped a bit in the actual conflict with Yellow Rome).
Overall, the game was really slow to develop for me. I had only 5 cities entering the Renaissance, but managed to get a Golden Renaissance with Monumentality. Since I was by that point already generating a lot of faith, I was able to expand hugely, coming out of it with I think 13 cities. Thereafter it was still a real struggle to catch up to the other Romes, especially Yellow Rome which just took off both scientifically and culturally. Yellow Rome was closer and the bigger threat, so I resolved to go after him first, but how to get at him? My solution was to plant a city just outside his borders. With Moksha with Divine Architect, I immediately built an encampment, and immediately purchased all buildings including a Military Academy. I was getting some 700 fpt at that point, and had used all my accumulated Diplo favor to win the last Great Council, electing to decrease the purchasing cost of military units using faith by 50%. This meant that I could crank out Tank and then Modern Armor armies every other turn. I still ran into the problem that I couldn't re-base my bombers to my assault city- too great a distance, so I did end up purchasing a single ocean tile in a Northern city, using Moksha to instantly build a harbor, and then immediately purchased a carrier, the only naval vessel I used in the whole game.
The warring with Yellow Rome was intense at the beginning, as he had multiple GDRs, but not yet fully promoted. They turned out to be surprisingly susceptible to jet bombers. Once they had been disposed of the rest of the game was a mopping up exercise. Twice I was able to pillage his spaceports before he could launch the Mars Colony- always fulfilling to see the burnt up rocket on the platform!
And once, while attacking Red Rome, which was also being spied upon, I caught the AI shifting its production in that same city from a carrier to a battleship Armada without missing a beat or losing any production as far as I could tell, which confirms me in my belief that the AIs function much more malleably wrt their production queues than we players are allowed to do.
So thanks again for a very educational game. I enjoyed it more than I even thought I would!

Attachments

• CAESAR HAS FALLEN 290 1838 AD V.Civ6Save
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
Turn 256 DomV, 1576 score. Peninsula Trajan settled coastally and didn't seem to care for Walls, a doubly poor choice. Once I took one of his cities, with their fully-stocked Barracks, I could Faith-buy Nihang Armies which cleaned up all the rest that I wanted to hold.

But Cumae Trajan? Walled up, layers of cities surrounding their capitol, beat me to Fascism(!). I tried to cut a path in with Lahore Corps and an Artillery Army when their military strength looked weak, but suddenly I'm fighting multiple AT-AT Crew Armies that shredded me.

I'm not used to having to break out the Bombers but I sure did here. I forward settled a city across the Black Sea Strait, was able to Faith-buy an Aerodrome 15 hexes away from Cumae, buy all the bells and whistles and 4 Jet Bombers, start whittling away from the East while another distraction army of mine attacked from the West. I probably didn't need to take the time to liberate Mitla but it felt good to do so.

Very amusing to have nowhere to build the Great Bath or a Dam. Or St. Basil's Cathedral and Chichen Itza, unless you got real bored.

Desert Folklore/Work Ethic to make up for a deplorable lack of Hammers. Dark, Heroic then Golden throughout.

Thank you kindly for the game.

Spoiler :
upload_2021-3-21_23-55-52.png

Attachments

• TRAJAN 256 1725 AD.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
Turn 172 RV - Was going to be an definite DV but was going to take 30 more turns to move everything. I went Desert Folklore/Work Ethic/Tithe/Crusade/Stupa (in order) and had the incredible luck of having a barb camp turn into Fez. I was way behind in science at that point but hadn't converted anything but my own few cities - I set to converting all the CS for the science/money combo and that allowed me to buy my way back in to the game - Didn't meet red Rome until I had explored all of the land I was on and yellow Rome an era later with a boat - hadn't settled coast until city 5 or so as I went East for mountains for a campus and the few hills. Had dark/golden/gold ever after for eras, used Exodius to push the religion out both eras I could get it.

I was able to complete a lot of CS quests and was Suz of a lot of them. Had Kilwa set to build with an engineer in 10 or so turns and that would have pushed my economy to another level. Beat Yellow to Oxford with the first wonder engineer after using a charge to complete Mausoleum. That pushed Kilwa back but they weren't building it so was an easy decision.

At end of game with RV I was 8 techs ahead of yellow and had caught up in Science output. I was building bombers and about to unlock battleships. Red Rome had no walls and was coastal so it would have been easy. Yellow Rome plan was to have way stations of airstrips my military engineers were setting up to get to a city I would settle close enough to bomb from - I could faith buy tank corps and maybe armies by the time they all got there and it wouldn't have taken much to grab the capital. My religious force was my last spend of the Exodius era and I sent them over to wait so I had the option to end it early if I caught up - so I went ahead with them to get it over with. Could have finished a lot earlier if that had been a win condition. AI aren't good at defending with only 2 opponents so not really much of an achievement. Other Romes were not collecting coal, oil, or aluminium when the game ended. I had niter more than an age before they did and coastal Rome had no horses or iron when I met him, not sure what he was doing. Tithe gave me so much money I didn't trade any resources to them just to slow them down.

Really like the map and concept - I had never had the chance to see the power or Nazca lines - Made some nice upgrades mid-game to my city production and really pumped the faith up. Fez as a surprise city-state was the hero.

DomV T129

Not what I expected. I was expecting the map to be crawling with tribal villages and barbarian camps, but for the former there were none and for the later barely any.

Map
Ressources were pretty sparse, not many good city locations.
Looks like there was some deleted river in the desert to the South of the initial location. Moving across some flat desert tiles required 3 movement points.
Apparently, you need Shipbuilding to go over the Bosphorus on the huge map size.

Strategy
Build the Apadana and levy some city-states.

Pantheon
Monument to the Gods to secure Apadana (and build some left-over wonders to get more envoys).

Golden Ages
Dark. Heroic. Golden.

Yellow Rome
From what I saw they had at least 5 crossbowmen and 500+ military score when I decided to attack them. So I was expecting some resistance from them. However, it looks like I ran again in the "army delete bug", because I didn't see any crossbowman when I ran over them and took their capital. I only encountered a few warriors and 1 courser later on.

Red Rome
They finished building Kotoku-in in their capital just after I declared against them giving them 4 warrior monks, a minor additional annoyance. They also built walls as I was sieging their capital and placed down an encampment. It looks like they were also training some military units in their other cities. All these moves cost me around 10 turns to deal with. So I would say for once an AI did an OK job at defending.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 129 325 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
  • Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Civ6Screen0001.jpg
    Civ6Screen0001.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Civ6Screen0002.jpg
    Civ6Screen0002.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 61
Not what I expected. I was expecting the map to be crawling with tribal villages and barbarian camps, but for the former there were none and for the later barely any.

To the map makers,
In the default game settings for barbarians there is a variable called BARBARIAN_CAMP_MAX_PER_MAJOR_CIV
It's default value is 3.
When you only put 3 civilizations on a huge map, you thus only allow for a maximum of 9 barbarian camps to spawn simultaneously on the map leaving huge areas between each of them.
Let's say 1 camp spawns in each of the 4 corners of the map, this leaves only 5 camps for the rest of the map.
In my opinion, this scenario would have worked much better with a small one-line mod that increased the number of possible camps.

DomV t287 score 1615
I wasn't sure I was going to finish this game since it looked like it was going to take forever with the strategy I was using (which was my default strategy, when there is no close AI, of waiting till either borders get close or I had a tech lead to mobilize and conquer). The huge map with sparse civs meant the AI civs could expand without difficulty and keep the tech lead (Yellow Rome especially). they didn't do a very good job with securing luxury resources and strategic resources though, so in the end that was their downfall. Yellow Rome had completed a couple of Space Race projects though ( before I disrupted his Spaceport with a Spy, and then conquered his capital).
The duplicate civs made some of the user interface screens confusing since every civ was "Rome" and every leader was "Trajan". I guess there isn't a way to rename some of the civs and leaders?
Interesting game, thanks!

Attachments

• DV t287 1832AD score1615.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Looks like there was some deleted river in the desert to the South of the initial location. Moving across some flat desert tiles required 3 movement points.
I noticed that too, but couldn't figure out what was going on. I think your theory is probably correct.

Strategy
Build the Apadana and levy some city-states.

Pantheon
Monument to the Gods to secure Apadana (and build some left-over wonders to get more envoys).
Wow, brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?!? I guess I figured deity AI would have enough military to be able to fend off a few units from a city states, but apparently not.
Good game!

Yellow Rome
From what I saw they had at least 5 crossbowmen and 500+ military score when I decided to attack them. So I was expecting some resistance from them. However, it looks like I ran again in the "army delete bug", because I didn't see any crossbowman when I ran over them and took their capital. I only encountered a few warriors and 1 courser later on.
I didn't know this was a known bug. So you saw 5+ crossbowmen at some point, but not later? did you see Yellow Rome's military score drop significantly at some point? maybe the AI decided to delete some units because it was having money problems to support the units? that doesn't seem like a good explanation though since the AI usually has tons of gold.

So you saw 5+ crossbowmen at some point, but not later?

Yes

did you see Yellow Rome's military score drop significantly at some point?

Yes

maybe the AI decided to delete some units because it was having money problems to support the units? that doesn't seem like a good explanation though since the AI usually has tons of gold.

That's the most likely explanation. I like to trade for all of an AI's gold balance before declaring war on them if I can. However, this doesn't affect gold per turn (as any deal on a per turn basis is cancelled upon declaring). Their gpt should thus be unaffected and normally be sufficient to fund all their military units. Maybe they had trade routes to the city-states I levied and when I declared on them they all got cancelled which dramatically decreased their gpt which forced them to disband some of their units. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

This is at least the 2nd time it happened to me in a 6otM game. The other time I can remember was the Ottoman domination game.

Domination victory t206

Expanded to 4 cities locally while exploring with scout (N) and war chariot (S). Red Rome made contact via trireme relatively early. Captured Nan Madol for a port city then began to explore by water. Sent my army W towards Red Rome by water and was preparing to invade before I belatedly discovered Gold Rome lurking far North:- I had somehow missed them on my first scouting mission. Attacked Red Rome from S and took 3 cities before a siege of Rome itself. Strong city defences required pounding by numerous bombards and frigates but eventually fell to my forces. Made peace immediately and headed back NE to conquer Gold Rome in fairly short order.

Both Rome AI had units, including cuirassier corps and cavalry but few melee units (some warriors and a couple of levied muskets, I think niter was at a premium). Red Rome built a battleship the turn after I conquered Rome and all their cities had walls. Gold Rome cities were without walls and their army did not reach the battle area until I was pounding Cumae:- too late.

Barbarians were virtually non-existent. I saw 2 camps all game and both were destroyed by CS units before I got to them. Some of the CS I met may have been settled camps but not sure how I could have confirmed that.

Could probably have saved 10 turns if I had found Gold Rome earlier and attacked them first. I actually allied with them during my war with Red Rome and had to wait 7 turns for alliance to expire before DoW with them.

An interesting challenge, many thanks.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 206 1450 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
Seems like city names are randomised for duplicate AIs. My capital was Setia, Red Rome had Rome and Gold Rome had Cumae:- these seem different for others looking at screenshots. I did move my settler on t1 and forget if I founded my capital t1 or t2 (in latter case I would not have been first to settle).

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

I don't play nearly as much as I used to and I always end up trying these games with no time left before the deadline, but this is one I enjoyed and felt I had to post to thank the designer.

I didn't even realize I was starting in a real world map of the Mediterranean until probably turn 200 when I recognized the boot of Italy. Very nice map and game setup!

When I started I fully expected to ditch the game after an hour or two. The starting location looked bad so I wandered a bit. I didn't expect so much plains and desert. I thought a Deity map would be a bit more generous with starting locations. When I did settle it wasn't because the location was so great, more that I figured I'd better give it a shot or quit.

With so much desert around and only 2 other civs to compete with, I decided to focus on religion and aim for Desert Folklore along with Work Ethic to provide production. It worked out much better than I expected. With the help of so many religious city states I was able to get huge production and growth out of several ugly locations:

The early success of my religious strategy and the lack of angry neighbors convinced me to keep playing, leading to what I think may be my first ever Deity win, a turn 244 Domination victory. By the end of the game I was pulling in so many faith points I could snap purchase as many armies and Great People as I wanted. The biggest delay was my own tendency to want to build, expand, and explore rather than going directly for the kill. I've always been better at high scores than early finishes.

Thanks again for cntinuing to set these GOTM up. Even though I don't really compete I like to play them when I can to learn new tricks.

Attachments

• vic TRAJAN 244 1665 AD.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
Top Bottom