Caesar's Gallic Wars

I might take a shot at it, it's just that i've been doing dieselpunk and Kitties lately...:mischief: (not to mention that my cats wrecked my laptop screen and now they loooove the external monitor i've been using, making any form of computer use difficult.)Got any decent source pics for that Druidian dude?

This is the Druid from AOW2 SM for example:

Attachments

• Druid.png
    Druid.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 424
  • Druid.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 160
I might take a shot at it, it's just that i've been doing dieselpunk and Kitties lately...:mischief: (not to mention that my cats wrecked my laptop screen and now they loooove the external monitor i've been using, making any form of computer use difficult.)Got any decent source pics for that Druidian dude?

Frankly, I'm looking for something a little "wild" or "fantastic" -- somewhat like the druids are portrayed in amazon prime's Britannia... Woad, exotic, strange, unknown... Britain was this strange unknown land at the time and the source of wild rumors.

It may or may not be "accurate" but I'd like Britain to be this exotic, spooky sideshow the Romans thought was full of dark magic etc.

Go wild, Erika :) if you get into it and make a few I will find room for them here, or in a Boudica scenario sometime in the future.

Thanks!

Edit... link to photo of head druid:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6035634/

Last edited:
I've added some sounds, an overture, and am waiting for feedback from my last playtester. The lua code is now stable and works very well. The game seems quite balanced to me. I am hoping to release this by next weekend if possible!

I made better progress than I anticipated, and also am quite pleased as the Penguins had a good game tonight, so I have released this scenario :). I may have to make a graphic update for a few units in the near future but I wanted to get this out so everyone can enjoy it. Thank you to everyone, and especially Grishnach, for all of your help. I hope you all enjoy the first released scenario designed with lua. May it inspire many, many more!

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/caesars-gallic-wars.26818/

Now if I could only figure out how to add it to the Scenario League wiki!

Last edited:
This is great news! Congratulation to all civers who are involved in this pioneer work! :clap:

Hi John and Grishnach,

Congratulations to you both on your groundbreaking work.

Having had the distinct pleasure of play testing your scenario, I highly recommend it to all players. The implementation of lua is revolutionary and incredibly innovative. The game and topic itself is extremely interesting and very challenging even for experienced players, and finally the graphics and components are just first rate.

Excellent work!

Just downloaded it now. Will give this one a try!

Brian,
I believe all new versions of ToTPP are backwards compatible. I'm playing Gallic Wars with version 016.1 and also working on Macedon with that now. You can always make a copy of your existing ToT folder, rename it and then paste in the latest ToTPP version until you're happy everything is working properly. I have several different folders with the different versions.

John & Grishnach,
Congratulations! I'm about half way through my playtest, but everything seems to be working perfectly. This is a challenging but fun scenario & I'd highly recommend it. The new Lua features are outstanding, and this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what can be done. I know its been said many times already, but I have to thank The Nameless One for breathing new life into this old classic.

I'm happy to build a page on the Wiki tomorrow. I really need to do some housekeeping on that site. At some point it would be great to add all of Petite's conversions.

Hi Brian, as Drew said, your scenario will still work on later versions. I too have multiple folders for 14, 15, and 16, though Grishnach has pointed out that this really isnt necessary given that you launch ToTPP from the dll, and you could revert back to an older version simply by pasting that dll over the new one.

Creating & editing pages is really quite easy once you're logged in. Just a case of editing an existing page, then copy & pasting into the new one & altering it to fit your scenario. Each page you see needs to be edited individually, so before you can create a new scenario page you first need to edit the list page & add a new line (again, just copy, paste & edit). You can then copy the text of an existing page, click on the new link which should bring up a blank page, paste in the text & edit to your scenario details. Adding files is a simple case of uploading and keeping a note of the file name, you can then paste that into the relevant space.

I would recommend people give it a try. It really is very simple & once you have a system worked out, very quick. If everyone fixed up a couple of pages or added a few of Petite's mods to existing pages, we could get it up to date in no time. Even if we all agreed to make one update a day, or one a week when we had a spare 15 minutes. No pressure, but it would be nice to get it up to date.

Since you've given instructions I'll give it a shot when I get home (and will come crying for help if/when I screw it up :) l

Congratulations on the release, I already had the chance to see it, and I can assure everyone it is great. :)

Now a bug report, as there seems to be a regression regarding the buildRestrictionsUnits list, conditionMet refers to defaultBuildFunction which is not in scope. Replace lines 2177-2179 with this and it should work again:
Code:
   ["romanCavalry"] = {unit=civ.getUnitType(72), conditionMet=function (city, state) return civ.hasImprovement(city, civ.getImprovement(18)) end}
   ,["scorpioArtillery"] = {unit=civ.getUnitType(70), conditionMet=function (city, state) return civ.hasImprovement(city, civ.getImprovement(17)) end}
   ,["onagerArtillery"] = {unit=civ.getUnitType(71), conditionMet=function (city, state) return civ.hasImprovement(city, civ.getImprovement(17)) end}

Thanks for the catch. I'll update the files a bit later tonight and post a hotfix(one can simply paste in the new events and your save game will still work fine... Another nice thing about lua as compared to macro!)

Here is the updated events for anyone who has been playing... I will update the download on civfanatics shortly.

Attachments

• Events.zip
    25.5 KB · Views: 121
Well, I was able to create the wiki page easy enough with your instructions @McMonkey - although it seems to be a slightly "larger" than most of the others in the list - I did not do this on purpose and am not sure how to reduce it. I think it has to do with the art and I didn't want to reduce Fairline's work, but now it and Nicheal are the only two ones that size. Hopefully this isn't a big deal but it is weird as there are other ToT ones out there.

Also - I was tempted to have ToTPP as the version required but that prompted red text, so I didn't.

Top Bottom