can you imagine playing V in...

Fact- Infinite strategies

Fact- King level for a week and still have not finished a game

Fact- Makes BTS look like an old horse, tired, chewing, not buying tiles and stuff

Fact- I could see the calculators aiming for victory types floundering

the evidence is clear- Civ5- best of the series by one thousand four hundred and fifty two times

... those things are not facts. :p

I regularly play "Master of Orion", which was released 17 years ago. I'm currently working on a small mod for Master of Magic (from 1995). Last week I spent an hour playing Pitfall! (from 1982). 5 years are nothing. ;)

However, I'm doubtful whether Civ5 will be one of these games that I keep and keep returning to. On the other hands, 5 years might be just enough time to fix it, so who knows? ;)

the only game I have ever played close to that much is the first starcraft I played that on and off for like 5 years, heck I still would comeback everyonce in a while and play it after that.

Forgot to answer the question. 5 years time, probably not, unless patches/expansion turn it into a radically different game. I'm still sort of playing now because I've dropped into a casual game style where I have 3 or 4 games going that I check out every now and then, make the odd decision, but mostly hit Next Turn a lot. It's nicely unstressful, but in marked contrast to previous Civs where I could happily sit hunched up all night over one game. (Probably better for one's mental and physical health I suppose, there is that to be said for it.)

In Civ V, the AI tends to attack you when you're out in front or sometimes even for no reason at all. So I suspect we're giving the AI too much credit in its present state. Notice the fact that if you refuse to sign an open borders treaty with anyone, they won't attack you at all. Where's that patch again? :mischief:

I was wondering why I was in my 3rd game, and had yet to be DoW'd...

I haven't seen a single reason TO DO Open Borders in this game? Why?

1) All the trade references refer to connecting YOUR cities to YOUR capital. Don't need OB for that
2) The culture expansion is pretty screwey, such that you can usually just put your army's water walking shoes on, send them over NEAR an enemy you want shut down, land them all on some desolate corner near their country, then DoW. No need to walk through other empires, no tresspassing Excuse Mes on City States, no fuss no muss.

Am I missing something by not having OB's? My strategy so far has been:

1) No Open Borders. Go walk around.
2) Get ahead in tech and have a modern powerful army.
3) Use gold for CS Bribing and unit upgrades ONLY
4) Win.

Top Bottom