can you imagine playing V in...

At the moment I can't imagine myself playing Civ5 before the patch. Yes, I've given up for now - the game just bores me far to much. And seriously I'm starting to doubt how much will or even can be fixed with patches and expansions.

I will be playing Civ V for many years.

I find myself caught up in Civ V. I played a lot of Civ, played 100 times more Civ II, enjoyed Civ III only briefly and then hated it, waited for the Civ 4 demo before it grabbed my attention and I grabbed it on disk, bought BtS through Steam but only for the mods (by then ordinary Civ 4 had long waned for me). Pre-ordered Civ V, played it on release and loved it immediately.

I can't even complete a single game of Civ 4 anymore...and I maybe beat that game twice if I recall correctly. I've beaten Civ V four times already and am starting my sixth game as Arabia for the Hall of Fame game (hey, why not, sounded like fun and it has been a lot of fun). Game five is as Augustus on Earth (North America), but that remains unfinished.

So far my biggest frustration is affording all my city improvements on difficulties higher than chieftain (or whatever the second difficulty level is), but this game is a lot of fun despite that, and I'm pretty sure I just have to alter my game play to compensate.

Would you mind telling us which kind of "extra" dynamic you see in City States?
You bribe them, you conquer them or you leave them alone.

But you're well advised when you bribe them.

Those three you listed, plus whether friends is good enough or do they need to be allies for the resources as well. Also do you use the military ones to keep you advanced in military units while you are pursuing culture. Also do you bother going after ones that other civs are protecting or are already allies with. How important is the extra food and culture versus actually owning the city. Etc.

In any case Civ4 had absolutely nothing that resembles this.

As for the :lol: regarding combat you posted, that is simply an AI issue. When I roll around with my 80 unit SoD in Civ4 it is pretty much :lol: as well though so that is a glass houses type of comment. And look Civ4BTS-RoM rocked I'm a big fan, but it is time to move on. The future is Civ5 mods...

Well, I'd never played cIV for 5 years if not for the expansions. BTS is just so much better than vanilla, Warlords was a decent improvement.

V will get patched, modded and eventually get expansions. So even that I am somewhat weary atm of all the flaws, I believe in the end I play this game alot.

Fact- Infinite strategies

Fact- King level for a week and still have not finished a game

Fact- Makes BTS look like an old horse, tired, chewing, not buying tiles and stuff

Fact- I could see the calculators aiming for victory types floundering

the evidence is clear- Civ5- best of the series by one thousand four hundred and fifty two times

Last night I booted up a game of Civ 4 BTS.

Ugh, game feels bland after playing Civ 5. Everything from civics to unit models to interface seems lame.

I've not played any Civ, in fact any game, 5 years after it was released. Well except for maybe a quick revisit before a new version came out.

I've not played any Civ, in fact any game, 5 years after it was released. Well except for maybe a quick revisit before a new version came out.

:wow: Really?

I just played Doom (again) a couple of months ago. I sometimes still play Links 2003.

I always have to go back and revisit some classics once in a while. ;)

I regularly play "Master of Orion", which was released 17 years ago. I'm currently working on a small mod for Master of Magic (from 1995). Last week I spent an hour playing Pitfall! (from 1982). 5 years are nothing. ;)

However, I'm doubtful whether Civ5 will be one of these games that I keep and keep returning to. On the other hands, 5 years might be just enough time to fix it, so who knows? ;)

I have an amazing imagination, so not only can I imagine playing Civ in five years time, I can imagine playing it dressed like a chicken while riding a purple donkey.

:lol:

That was the best response to that question yet. Not getting involved in a long discussion of what's wrong with ciV, but tackling the original question with a hilarious answer.

Fact- Infinite strategies

Fact- King level for a week and still have not finished a game

Fact- Makes BTS look like an old horse, tired, chewing, not buying tiles and stuff

Fact- I could see the calculators aiming for victory types floundering

the evidence is clear- Civ5- best of the series by one thousand four hundred and fifty two times
The evidence is clear ... you are even a worse player of civ V than you were of BtS . Atleast you didn't presented us with some suposed walkthrough with doctored stuff in here like you did there.

On topic :

It depends a lot of what measures are taken by the developer. The game needs quite a clean up in terms of mechanics balancing and AI coding to be a good product and if this isn't done, I will probably zoom out for other games that I have in the shelf. I like to have fun in my games ( even if in the Dwarf fortress kind of fun :devil: ) and I'm really trying to find fun in civ V ....

I like to have fun in my games ( even if in the Dwarf fortress kind of fun :devil: ) and I'm really trying to find fun in civ V ....

At least with dwarf fortress the immersion is enough to more than make up for the "fun" when it hits. I wish Civ5 were that good!

I'm going to be sticking with Civ4 for the foreseeable future being 100% convinced that whilst Civ4 isn't perfect [for me, I speak for no other] it isn't far from perfect. IMO all it needs is some mid-way compromise between stacks and 1upt, an AI that can handle it...and that's about it...all the extra flavour units and building in the mods that exist are fine enough.

To be perfectly honest, I am wondering now "Did Civ5 need to be developed?"

Never. I could never see me playing this game after 5 years. Feels absurd. I can't see anyone playing this game after 5 years, and I'm sure I'm right too. Civ6 will come in few years, maybe 2013, in 2015 nobody will play this game. Thats a fact even if Civ6 will never be released.

I have more hopes for civ 5 upon release than I did for civ IV upon release.

I'm not sure if that was because I was coming off of the distaste of civ III or not, though. I know I had issues with civ IV, but I think those 'issues' were me not liking the changes from the norm.

I believe this game will succeed when the AI gets fixed. The AI really is the cornerstone of everything that is wrong with this game, in my opinion. Some tweaks to the economy need to be done, as well as tweaking puppet states to stop building useless military structures. I think with a few number adjustments, this game will go a long ways.

No. In fact I can't imagine playing it next week, because I'm just not interested anymore.

It's too shallow and too easy.

Top Bottom