"Cannot Locate the DVD-ROM"

Yep I've got problems with an LG drive too.

In Australia they only have a DVD version too. When I put the DVD in my LG GDR-8161B the drive does not even recognise that the disk exists at all, so I can't even start installing the game. I put the same disk in my laptop and it sees the disk fine.

Tony

Well, I'm off round a friends house to borrow his potrable DVD drive this evening and see if that helps.

Is this solely a European issue btw?

Well, some US people are having issues with their CD-ROM, and not just the "labeling" issue. Some people try both CDs and still get the error. Perhaps they messed up with the porting from 2 CDs to a single DVD.

People have mentioned the SD4HIDE fix, have you tried that?

Dear all,

I'm more or less a novice when it comes to computer gaming. I don't play a great deal, but the ones I do play I love. I have been a fan of the whole Civ series for years and eagerly awaited Civ 4.

Now I'm one of a number who have this bug and I'm not happy. I e-mailed take2 using the harshest possible language without getting offensive.

I also registered for these boards SOLELY to find a solution to this problem and to sympathise with others in the same situation.

Would it be possible for one of you clever people to explain in lay terms to a less computer literate person how I can use the "SD4HIDE fix" or any other method that has gotten results? A simple step by step, idiots guide would be fantastic.

This matter is totally unacceptable. Their quality control staff need not only to be fired, for missing something on this large of a scale.

Best wishes to all and my commiserations to those in the same situation (unless you are a take2/firaxis employee in which case FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM).

p.s. Am from the UK and having this issue with DVD version of the game.
Moderator Action: Language - warned.

Alright guys, it did the same thing here. Try putting the disc in, waiting for the pop-up screen to appear, and use that. For some reason that worked here, although when put the disc in it takes ages to appear here. :goodjob:

Im in the US and have a very similar problem, It seems to be getting worse, I used to get the Cannot locate the CD-ROM message now that wont even popup. I tries both CDs, I tried the hider even though I dont have a burner nor anything like that. I will put the disk in (labled Install, LOL) and the Start-Reame-Exit screen will pop up so I hit the play button and then nothing happens, Nothing. When I first got it, it would get to the first loading screen the one with 4-5 languges on it then the Cannot Locate CD-ROM error would popup. But now nothing.

I think this problem we are having is getting overlooked, I mean we cant even get the game to run let alone complain about the BlackTiles , Jerky game play, longloads, Wondermovies not working, etc.. I just hope once i get past this point I dont come across all the other problems. My PC is new, its a Pentuim D 2.8 with a gig and the raedon x300 , so I wouldnt think it would be my pc I run all the other new titles just fine, BF2, SWBF2, AoE3 and many others without a problem. My uncle is a wiz he is a programmer for Lockhed Martin, Ill have come look at it and see what he thinks, he is pretty busy so it may be a couple of days before I can post anything about it.

Yup had the same problem when installing...lol I thought it was my cable so I had to stop instalation and check all my gray cables. What a nightmare

PunkRoadkill said:
so i buy the game, install it ok, go to play it and i get

Please insert the Correct DVD-ROM, press ok and restart application

I got the same error message when I had the wrong CD in the drive. That's right, not only is the second CD mislabled "Play", I get a message saying not that it can't find the CD, but that it can't find the DVD!?! :eek:

What a joke! :confused:

I just installed the game and I experience the same problems: Please insert the correct CD-rom....:mad:
I have the European DVD version, any fix for it yet?

Yeap I get the exact same problem, I had to use a number of different programs just to get the damn game to run. It's funny when you have to basically crack the copy protection of a legit game you bought.

Feel free to email me if you need help

~ryanstein94@gmail.com

Fixed. I got my LG DVD drive to recognise the Civ 4 DVD by running a firmware upgrade available on the LG website (www.lge.com).

Heres the details again for anyone who might have the same problem: "My LG GDR-8161B DVD drive does not recognise the Civilisation 4 DVD. When I put the disk in it just sits there spinning for ages and does not recognise that a disk is in the drive." Other DVDs like GTA:SA and movies worked fine.

On the LG website I found a file called GDR-8161B0102(ED).zip. It was in the DVD (writer) section even though this drive is not a writer. The original (not working) firmware is version 1.00, the new working firmware is version 1.02. You can find the firmware version in "properties" by right clicking on the DVD drive in windows.

As always be careful running a firware update.

Tony.

Try sd4hide.exe . It worked for me.
I have the 2-CD US version. I bought a legit copy of civ4, and I had to use this crack program to play! How ironic is that?! I have both alcohol and daemon tools on my computer and the cd protection definitely doesn't like it.
I forgot where I downloaded the file, but if anyone needs it, pm me.

Okay,

Seriously its an issue that needs to be looked at but if everyone that is having the problem would sit down for 30min and use one of the two fixes that have been listed here safedisk and that other program one of which being a microsoft program = safe, legal all that jaz, you would already be playing the game instead of complaining that you can't play it. I had 2 friends with the same problem they are using that fix untill it gets addressed in a patch. They wern't overly happy about it that but at least they are enjoying the game now.

Also on the plus side it doesn't need to look for the cd everytime a movie plays ect so it speeds up the gameplay over all. I would really recomend everyone give it a try untill they come out with a patch to fix the issue.

Interesting. It looks like you guys might be narrowing down the field to a specific problem with LG drives, doesn't it?

Just for the record, I had no problems installing - I have a Pioneer DVD ROM (used for install & play) and a Lite-On DVD-RW, which may add weight to the growing argument surrounding successful/unsuccessful DVD brand names.

@tonymartin: you managed to download it? When I tried for my DRD8160B (bit further down than your one) it wouldn't download telling me the request didn't come from an LG site :( I've e-mailed their customer service, no reply yet. My current firmware version is 1.01, difficult to tell if this is any later.

Top Bottom