Can't add buildings.

I have followed along through a couple of tutorials on how to add buildings. I am positive my PediaIcons.txt entries are flawless at this time according to the tutorials instructions yet, still no building shows up in the Civilopedia Entry drop down box in the Editor under Improvement Rules.

I have noticed that Which version of Civ 3 you have seems to change some stuff up on this. I am running Civ 3 Complete. Does anyone know if there is something I should be doing different than someone running Civ 3 Conquests? This is the only thing I can think of, unless there is a setting in the editor somehow ignoring my entry. I have tried many things many times over and I am at a loss. :(

Please help if you can.
Thanks.

EDIT: Here is a pic of my text in the PediaIcons file. Anyone know why this would not be showing up in the Editor's "Civilopedia Entry" dropdown menu?
Spoiler :

Hi King Flevance,

there shouldn´t be a difference with adding buildings in normal C3C and Civ Complete C3C.

I assume, you want to add the buildings to a scenario and not to the epic game (here you would have additional mess with the city view images).

Beside the pediaicon.txt(don´t forget the numbers here for your building), you must also add the images to the buildings-large and buildings-small files in the City Screen-folder. These are the pictures you see in the editor (of course you must have linked the building to the correct pediaicons-entry).

Additionally you must put the icons-large and -small in the Civilopedia/Icons/Buildings-folder. These are the pictures you see in the civilopedia and the techtree.

If you add wonders (Great wonders or Small wonders), you must additionally add a wondersplash for that wonder in the Wonder Splash-folder and add that entry to your pediaicons.txt file.

Here you can dll a buildings-large and a buildings-small file I made to contain the maximum number of 256 buildings for C3C:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=230408

I assume, you want to add the buildings to a scenario and not to the epic game (here you would have additional mess with the city view images).
Yep, It's for a scenario.

So far I have a folder named in Imperial Warz in the Conquests\Scenarios folder.

Inside that folder I have these directories:
Art\CityScreen\Buildings-large & small.pcx
Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Buildings\Gallows.pcx (And all pcx files in the screenshot above)
Text\PediaIcons.txt
Text\Civilopedia.txt

Beside the pediaicon.txt(don´t forget the numbers here for your building), you must also add the images to the buildings-large and buildings-small files in the City Screen-folder. These are the pictures you see in the editor (of course you must have linked the building to the correct pediaicons-entry).
Yeah, I think I have the building part ready to go once I get the building to show up in the editor. I have downloaded you buildings-large and small pcx files and even peplaced my old ones with yours after adding in all the buildings. (BTW nice job on thos pcx's, its funny how something so simplistic can be so usueful.)

Additionally you must put the icons-large and -small in the Civilopedia/Icons/Buildings-folder. These are the pictures you see in the civilopedia and the techtree.
JUst quoting this to verify each step. I am trying to simplify this even beyond how simplified the proccess has already been shown to me :p

Weasel OP said:
Did you also create new pedia entries for them in Civlopedia.txt? I'm not sure which file the editor uses to generate the list of entries.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing so I finished the the tutorial as if to 'ignore' the problem. But it never showed up. But Civilopedia.txt just has a description. I don't think it has any directories you have to enter.

Additionally, I have the Scenario Properties pulling from:
\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
in the Scenarios Search Folders: line.

I really don't get why this is not having the building show up. :(

Latest update: I backed up the Conquest PediaIcons, and buildings-large and buildings-small. Then replaced them with my files and the building shows up. So somehow my mod isn't pulling from the folder as it should be.

Anyone know how to correct that? In the post above I copy and pasted exactly what is in my "Scenario Search Folders" line. I am unable to mod in files right now with altering core files for the standard epic game.

King Flevance, have you set the search path of the biq in your scenario properties to your scenario?

Editor: Scenario Properties. In the left column of the scenario properties you have the fields title (no "must-be"-field),Description (no "must-be"-field) and "Scenario Search Folders".

In the field Scenario Search Folders you must write the name of your scenario folder, here Imperial Warz. If you you want to take some elements from other scenarios (p.e. units) you can add here more folders. In that case these folders must be separated by a semicolon ; . :)

Yeah, the exact filepath in the Scenario Search Folders is:

\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz

I have also tried:
Spoiler :

Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
\Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
Conquests\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
\Scenarios\Imperial Warz
Scenarios\Imperial Warz
\Imperial Warz
and simply,
Imperial Warz

LOL. I am desperate. :crazyeye: I will try anything again though. I have already done quadruple checked my work based off my own limited knowledge. What's a 5th time at this point right? SO long as it gets it working. ;) I just really hope it doesn't turn out to be something trivial. That would really tick me off at this point. :lol:

I just really hope it doesn't turn out to be something trivial.:lol:

I hope it is something trivial so we can cure it easily. I attache a temporary screenshot what I meant with the "scenario properties" in the editor. :)

Did you write Imperial Warz at the place i have marked with a red box?

King Flevance... Have you Named the Scenario as well as place the Description in Scenario Properties? Civinator is correct that this simple thing can cause the problem. Listing the Buildings as SINGLE or ERA in the PediaIcons also is important.

If you haven't already, try closing the Editor and opening it again (or, alternatively, loading another biq and then re-loading the one you're working on). You have to do that in order for it to "see" any changes you've made to the PediaIcons file since opening the Editor.

I hope it is something trivial so we can cure it easily. I attache a temporary screenshot what I meant with the "scenario properties" in the editor. :)

Did you write Imperial Warz at the place i have marked with a red box?

Crap there it was. Sorry, had to take a break from all this. I just got Civ 4 BTS and was checking it out for a couple days and had to pull away from this and come at it again. (I was getting frustrated :p) Thanks guys. I was told in the tutorials that I needed to typein the entire directory. Live and learn. :D

Thanks again guys you were great. :goodjob:

I am positive I had only put Imperial Warz in the Scenario line because I just got desperate and started knocking off parts of the filepath until I had removed it all. But it is possible in my frustration I skipped over what Plotinus mentioned there or something.

EDIT: Grrr! Actually the reason it started working was because I still had an altered version of the Pedia icons in the core game directory. Once I replaced the PediaIcons.txt with the original in the C3C\Conquests\Text Folder, it went back to not showing up.
EDIT2: .... um... Its working right now... or so I claim.... We shall see.

Top Bottom