1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

can't build stoneworks in the city that has mausoleum of halicarnassus

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lionheart04, Sep 16, 2013.

1. lockstep

lockstep Chieftain

That's essentially what my tiny mods does:

Code:
    <GameData>
    	<Buildings>
    		<Update>
    			<Where Type="BUILDING_STONE_WORKS"/>
    			<Set ProhibitedCityTerrain="NULL"/>
    		</Update>
    	</Buildings>
    </GameData>

2. Vidszhite

Vidszhite Chieftain

The first time I found out this was a prerequisite for a Stone Works, I raged so hard. It seems like such an arbitrary distinction.

3. crabe

crabe Chieftain

Is there a reason all luxuries have to be equal? All civs clearly aren't equal, and this is by design. It is okay to have some starts that are clearly way better than others.

4. civ54lyfe

civ54lyfe Chieftain

Cotton and Dye are real bad, that's why they need a Textile Mill to make them better for players who would choose to build it.

Don't know how to spruce up Incense but it'd prolly be something religious.

5. Yzman

Yzman Chieftain

Isn't incense part of one of the patheons?

6. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

I think the restriction is fair. Just like Harbor should only be built by city next to water tile. Windmill should only be built on non-Hill tiles. It's all balance.

7. householder

householder Lord of the Fleas

A harbor without water would not be a harbor. It would just be ground. Water is part of what defines a harbor. :p

What windmills require is wind, and sometimes hills are the windiest places around.

I will accept that, although it seems arbitrary.

8. crabe

crabe Chieftain

Worse than Furs, Truffles, Citrus? Whales? Not being good isn't the same as being bad. They don't need anything, just because Wine and Incense get something. Some luxes are better than others and that's okay. There is always Oral Tradition.

9. MarshalN

MarshalN Chieftain

The difference between 3 wine and 3 cotton can be 6 total of faith and 3 of culture per turn, which is a lot. It's not like cotton (or many other luxes) have anything else that gives them bonus either.

10. kamex

kamex Chieftain

This explains why the Netherlands is famous for windmills, even though its a mostly flat country.

11. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Chieftain

Unless you are using a "hand-made" map. For whatever reason, Worldbuilder only alows you to place Jungle on Grassland tiles.

12. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom Chieftain

^ THIS! Simply Mod ...yet one of the very best to circumvent a very very VERY stupid idea by Civ programmers.

13. householder

householder Lord of the Fleas

Whether a terrain is windy or not depends on many features. Flat lands near the ocean are often prime because there is little to block the wind at sea, and wind can build speed.

Similarly, flat lands which lack large forests make good locations for windmills, because there is little to block and absorb the wind. This is why the Great Plains of North America are desirable locations for wind turbines to generate electricity.

Certainly, flat lands can be very desirable locations for windmills. However, sometimes hills are the windiest locations, which is what I wrote. The prohibition on windmills on hills is arbitrary. I suspect the devs put it in to balance the advantages that hill cities otherwise have.

14. crabe

crabe Chieftain

Yes, that is a lot; my point is that it's okay for some luxes to be better than others, just as some civs are better than others. If you want to buff cotton and dyes with a textile mill or what have you, why stop there?

15. Cicerosaurus

Cicerosaurus Chieftain

And Scotland has so many wind farms because it is not flat.....

16. lockstep

lockstep Chieftain

I'm still hoping that Firaxis will eventually allow Stone Works In Plains in the base game.

17. apotheoser

apotheoser Chieftain

A Textile Mill would be nice. Could have been a good English unique building to replace the Windmill or something. Could work with Cotton, Silk, and Dyes.

18. Elz Majesto

Elz Majesto Chieftain

IMO, sea based resources are the best. Yes, it sucks that you need to go off the beaten path (Optics, but hey you get 1 extra trade route) so that you can get the workboats and take up 2-7 turns to build and can only be used once.....but when you put WB on them, you get +1 food, Lighthouse =+1 food and production, Seaport= +1 production, gold, and then the key techs that give them more food and production and gold you get quite possibly the best worked tile in the game! Its a shame that they have such a bad rap, but a 5 whale city gives you more production and food then a 5 salt city (unless your on a river with Hydroplant maybe) and with the pantheon faith that gives you +1 production per sea resources, you end up with a very powerful resource tile early, mid and late game....my 2 cents