[R&F] Can't build walls

Patchmaster

Chieftain
I'm reacquainting myself with Civ 6 after a hiatus due to hardware issues. In playing my first game I've run into something that confuses me. I'm playing continents. I have four cities on my home continent, all having at least ancient walls. I established a city on a different continent, where I definitely could use walls, but the game won't let me build them. Ancient walls is in the build list but is grayed out and there's no reason given. I am well beyond the era in which ancient walls would likely be built in reality, but other items that have become unavailable don't show up in the build list so it would seem like that's not the reason. Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a basic question that has been asked/answered many times. I did a search but nothing that looked like this issue popped up.

Have you researched Steel? I believe that would prevent you from building walls as you would already have urban defenses. Maybe your city is currently under attack, but it doesn't sound like it based on your post. Regardless, even cities under attack can still build walls (they just can't repair them).

It may not apply in this situation, but if city walls are damaged you have to "repair outer defences" before you can build the next set of walls. Just check near the bottom of the built list.

I'm fairly certain I have researched Steel. I thought it was maybe due to being well beyond the era where ancient walls would make sense, but I'm beyond the eras where subsequent wall improvements also don't make sense but they're available in other cities that already have ancient walls.

Just to be clear, I'm not under attack. The walls aren't damaged because no walls yet exist. I don't actually need the walls at the moment, but there are several other civs and quite a few city-states fairly close, one of which has previously declared war, and it just seems prudent to get up some kind of defenses. Plus, I'm curious about why ancient walls is in the build list but grayed out.

Kind of strange other cities can build walls. Once you've researched steel, you no longer have to worry about building walls.

I believe if you are halfway into building walls when you discover steel, the game will let you finish building them. They do not give any added benefit, but they will generate tourism in the late game (possibly after flight technology).

Well, it's true, that's exactly how it went in my last game, I finished medieval walls somewhere after Steel was reserched - I picked up the build I had abandonned many turns earlier.

I second (third) that. Usually try to chop with limes so sometimes there are half build walls by the time they become obsolete and yes they can still be finished.

It does not look like anyone has an idea. Do you have a game save? I can look at it

Are you possibly suzerain of Valetta? If so, you can't build walls, but can faith-buy them.

I think you still can build walls even if you are suzerain of Valetta. ?????

Top Bottom