• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Can't get diplomatic victory?

ojchase

Chieftain
Yes it's enabled. I have played many games (I'm new and enjoy it for fun....thus settler level) and I have built the United Nations (and even the Chinese equivalent in the Chinese Unification Scenario) AND have won the election AND have been able to win the "Diplomatic Victory" option. Can somebody tell me why I don't win the game? Yes, it's an option in "Victory Conditions". I just seem to win elections and then end up getting a score victory, but never ever diplomatic. Any ideas why? I'm kinda thinking it's a glitch.

all i can think of is that the game ends that same turn on 2050. i know that there's an order of which victory gets selected if the game goes that long, i don't know the order tho. i can't imagine that has happened to you more than once tho, if at all. and sounds like you're not confusing the secretary general vote with the diplomatic victory vote. do you have a save from any of these games from after you're the secretary but before the diplomatic victory vote that we can look at?

Well, it's not a date thing. This has happened enough that I know it's not. I often think it will cause a victory and then I have to wait (and wait and wait) for a score or space race victory. I could be mixing up the elections as you mentioned, but I am about 90% sure I am not. I have no screenshots at the moment because I went through and removed all my saves earlier tonight:( How would it help anyway, or where should I take a picture next time?

My initial reaction was the same as KMC's in that you're possibly confusing Secretary General election with Diplomatic Victory vote.

It seem not however, and therefore I'm wondering if you're patched (not that I'm sure that a patch is going to 100% assure that your problem is fixed!);

Vanilla 1.61
Warlords 2.08

Yes, it sounds like you're confusing General Secretary election with diplomatic victory.

The only diplo victory I've won was when I was actually going for a spaceship victory and realized that I couldn't build the SS engine because I didn't have a source of uranium. I started gifting techs left and right, researched Mass Media and built the UN as quickly as I could. Much to my surprise I got my first (and so far only) diplo victory.

Well, it's not a date thing. This has happened enough that I know it's not. I often think it will cause a victory and then I have to wait (and wait and wait) for a score or space race victory. I could be mixing up the elections as you mentioned, but I am about 90% sure I am not. I have no screenshots at the moment because I went through and removed all my saves earlier tonight:( How would it help anyway, or where should I take a picture next time?

i just know you must be frustrated with that and figured there was some chance it might help figure out if it did turn out you were confusing the elections. i want you to keep having fun of course and not be frustrated! would just be a sanity check (not that you're insane) to look at the votes to be sure. if it happens again, maybe take a screenie when you pick that you'll all vote on diplomatic victory, and then again after votes are taken.

good luck, keep having fun!!

That is correct; a simple majority is not necessarily sufficent to win the victory. The game will tell you how many votes you need to win. The little popup window doesn't really draw your attention to the actual election results sufficiently, IMHO.

Thanks. That's probably exactly what's been happening to me. I wasn't going to resurrect this thread, but I did try again, taking screenshots to prove that it had to be a bug and everything, and I got a diplomatic victory for the first time in my life! The leading candidate thing is probably exactly what has happened to me before. The one question I have is if the game blocks you from actually getting a diplomatic victory (ever for that game) if you try once and fail, because in some of the past games I had been in the election multiple times, and it seems odd that each time I would just have been the leading candidate. Is that possible?

You can be the leading candidate for many elections and loose. If you are loosing, than take a look in who is not voting in you. You may try to give them techs, for example. The religion is very important too. If the diplomacy fails, go to war. In this case you should attack who are not voting in you. That way you are going to get that votes by force.

Thanks. That's probably exactly what's been happening to me. I wasn't going to resurrect this thread, but I did try again, taking screenshots to prove that it had to be a bug and everything, and I got a diplomatic victory for the first time in my life! The leading candidate thing is probably exactly what has happened to me before. The one question I have is if the game blocks you from actually getting a diplomatic victory (ever for that game) if you try once and fail, because in some of the past games I had been in the election multiple times, and it seems odd that each time I would just have been the leading candidate. Is that possible?

No -- there is no penalty for trying again and again for the Diplomatic victory, although if you know you're not in a good position to win initially, you might as well try to pass some of the useful economic resolutions instead of proposing the Diplomatic Victory resolution.

You can be the leading candidate for many elections and loose. If you are loosing, than take a look in who is not voting in you. You may try to give them techs, for example. The religion is very important too. If the diplomacy fails, go to war. In this case you should attack who are not voting in you. That way you are going to get that votes by force.

It depends on whether or not you have already maxed out the "Our trade relations have been good" bonus with that particular leader. (And it varies from leader to leader.) If you're already maxed out, giving away more techs will not help. (ALthough if they ASK you for a tech, giving it to them WILL result in a bonus, and refusing WILL result in a penalty.) Yes, sharing religion is important, and sharing that leader's favorite civ can also help a lot. Similarly, declaring war on some "whipping boy" civ and bribing other civs to join the war on your side will get you the "our mutual military struggle" bonus, which also helps.

If your military is strong and the civ is nearby, however, the easiest way to gain his votes is to either conquer all of his cities (or at least conquer enough to make him a vassal.) Since 2.08, vassals always vote for the master for secretary general and for the diplomatic win resolutions. (Though they do NOT always vote the master's way for other resolutions!)

Top Bottom