Can't sell hospitals? (sorry if a noob question)

Rubberjello

Emperor
In my present map, I'm on a late game domination roll. Most of the enemy cities I've taken I've razed (too much danger of flipping), but I've kept a few with Wonders. Luckily they did not flip, but after "starving them with happiness" down to a low level, I was suprised to find that I could not sell the hospitals. I want to, because these will be totally non-productive cities that I don't really want to grow above 12 and maybe cause possible rioting problems later on. (plus shelling out the money every turn for upkeep!)

Is this a feature, or a bug? (PTW 1.21)

It's a feature. Aqueducts and Hospitals can not be sold if you capture an enemy city with them.

This is because they automatically don't get destroyed when you take an enemy city (since you need them for size 7 and 13 cities respectively), and if you could sell them you could make lots of money when you roll over a modern enemy.

There is no question too silly to ask, it's not as though the manual has this info in it, or indeed much info at all. Lots of people can't be bothered to open the manual and ask questions that *are* in it, so you are leagues ahead in that respect. ;)

FWIW there is a Newbie Questions Thread in the General Discussions forum where you will get a quicker response for this kind of question.

Speaker: Any quick, simple question qualifies as a "Newbie Question". :) It doesn't matter whether you are a forum newbie or not. I have been playing this game since it hit the shelves, and have been a member of this site for almost as long. I still have occasional "newbie moments": "I should know the answer to this, but I don't!"

FWIW, I didn't know the answer to this one, either. ;)

Ah! Thanks anarres. I suspected this was the case and reasoning behind it. Another possible reason would be that the program has a "flag" set as soon as a city hits 7 (aqueduct) and 13 (hospital). Once this flag is set to allow higher growth, then there was a design decision to not allow the flag to be re-set by the selling of the enabling structure.

That probably didn't come out clearly, but mainly I think it was a design decision married to a "less programming & testing" decision. :)

Glad to hear this is a little-known fact and I wasn't retreading old territory.

BTW....I've got a mammoth battle shaping up in that game. The last large opponent has a huge continent defended by hundreds of Mechanical Infantry and a huge supporting cast. I'm ready to invade with hundreds of Modern Armor, Armies, MI, and Artillary, with a big edge in Battleships and air power. They have SDI built, so no cheapee nuke attacks. It ought to be a bloodbath!
:D :D :D

Originally posted by Speaker
Maybe the newbie thread should be renamed? The term "newbie" has a negative connotation, which is why people seem to post questions, that should go in that thread, elsewhere.
Good point. We'll have to think about that.

Good luck in your battle Rubberjello. :D

FWIW I ask questions myself in the newbie thread, as do lots of experienced players from time to time.

I always thought of it as reclaiming the term "newbie" since it is not being used in a negative context. Maybe I think too little of words, after all context and intent is everything. If it's putting people off using the thread then maybe it should be changed.

TerraHero,

Aqueducts, Hospitals, all wonders. I think that's it, although I have been known to be wrong.

Top Bottom