Caveman2Cosmos v43 Player Guide

Thanks so much. One other stupid question.... now that I have the game up and running... when I move my mouse to the edge of the map it doesn't scroll. I swear moving the mouse to the edge of the map used to scroll in that direction. Now appears the only method to do that is via dragging the mini-map box around. Am I missing something in the settings, or is this change part of v38 and nothing I can do anything about?

Thanks so much. One other stupid question.... now that I have the game up and running... when I move my mouse to the edge of the map it doesn't scroll. I swear moving the mouse to the edge of the map used to scroll in that direction. Now appears the only method to do that is via dragging the mini-map box around. Am I missing something in the settings, or is this change part of v38 and nothing I can do anything about?
There is setting in vanilla Civ4 BTS ini config (_Civ4Config.ini).
Chanfge this: MouseScrolling = 0 to this MouseScrolling = 1

Wowee, 8 years later and still going strong.

Reading through the guide: ..please don't tell me you used 12-year-me's DEFCON civic. I'd die of embarrassment.

At least you didn't keep the GST one. I don't think I even knew what the civics were meant to bloody represent at that point.

Reading through the guide: ..please don't tell me you used 12-year-me's DEFCON civic. I'd die of embarrassment.

At least you didn't keep the GST one. I don't think I even knew what the civics were meant to bloody represent at that point.
There is no DEFCON civic.

I meant currently there is no DEFCON civic.
I know haha, I meant "used" in the sense that they integrated it into other parts of the mod, which terrifies me in hindsight because I know how broken my code was/can be

I'm glad this is still going. It really sparked my passion for technical creativity in games and I wanted to come back to say thank you for tolerating me way back when :)

At one stage we agreed that the GST civic was perhaps a very good one. Mostly because there is nowhere in Civ that you can adjust taxes. You just get this amount of profit from your empire that you can then spend on treasury, science, culture etc.. Very business like, not like a country at all:lol:.

At one stage we agreed that the GST civic was perhaps a very good one. Mostly because there is nowhere in Civ that you can adjust taxes. You just get this amount of profit from your empire that you can then spend on treasury, science, culture etc.. Very business like, not like a country at all:lol:.
Yeah, that's the way of Civ alright. Thematically though it is a bit jarring to scroll down civics seeing broad stuff like "Society" and "Religion" and then "Goods and Services Tax" xD

Yep... there went your summer ;)

I put easter egg at end of tech tree, that mentions three months passing like nothing by time you research future tech.
I wonder how long it usually takes to play on Blitz from start to end.
Some game speed would hit three months depending on map size and AIs count.

What limits the max rank a unit can take in Law Enforcement, Education or Health Care promotions? Is it when the unit is built (i.e. all LE units built after researching Dualism can promote to Policing II)? Or is it the era the unit belongs to (i.e. a Town Watchmen can promote to Policing II but a Watcher cannot, even if it is built after researching Dualism)?

It is confusing for a new player like me. I thought it was a bug at first that I couldn't promote some units to higher levels of policing. I had to dig through old forum posts to find out that there was a deliberate limit on older units getting higher-level promotions. Looking at the unit pages in the Civopedia is misleading--according to the unit pages, every LE unit can take every policing promotion. So it would be nice if an explanation was added to the player guide or to the civopedia.

When I have a bit of time I'll add an explanation to the player guide at least.

The limit is based on the era the unit becomes available to train on the tech tree. If a civil promotion like this is made available in a given era, then it will only be available to units that are unlocked in that era or later.

I'd like to apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this reply but I'm having severe difficulties getting the game running in the first place:

What am I doing wrong?
I get this error when I'm already in Civ IV, loaded the C2C mod and started a new game. Then when loading the selected game, the music suddenly stops and when I alt-tab I get the following message:
Screenshot (3).png

Such a post should go in the bugs and crashes section but I have to wonder why or even how you're running the debug dll.

You might be best to just scrap the caveman2cosmos mod file and re-download it and place it back in the mods folder.

Such a post should go in the bugs and crashes section but I have to wonder why or even how you're running the debug dll.

You might be best to just scrap the caveman2cosmos mod file and re-download it and place it back in the mods folder.
Maybe he extracted SVN on top of existing mod? Then he should delete mod and get SVN.

Maybe he extracted SVN on top of existing mod? Then he should delete mod and get SVN.
He's running the debug dll so that means whatever he did he deleted the core dll and renamed the debug dll to take .debug out of the name and now he's running with that. If he reverses this, or can, then it might be fine. Again, easiest is to delete it all and reinstall. SVN or release, regardless.

Raxo, on the current assets on the SVN, the DLL is about 10 meg in size right? One of us didn't commit the debug dll as the core DLL did we? Looked right when I checked it last night but I didn't update to check it either.

He's running the debug dll so that means whatever he did he deleted the core dll and renamed the debug dll to take .debug out of the name and now he's running with that. If he reverses this, or can, then it might be fine. Again, easiest is to delete it all and reinstall. SVN or release, regardless.

Raxo, on the current assets on the SVN, the DLL is about 10 meg in size right? One of us didn't commit the debug dll as the core DLL did we? Looked right when I checked it last night but I didn't update to check it either.
I checked, and indeed current DLL is 10 MB.

That is normal DLL wasn't swapped with debug one.

First time I indeed placed the latest version on top of the existing one. Got the same error, but after that I deleted the entire C2C mod map, redownloaded and put it in there. Got the same error again from which my screenshot was taken.

Do I need to re-install the entire Civ4 Beyond the Sword part too perhaps?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: I reinstalled the entire game, reinstalled the mod and it now works! just 1 issue left :(
I replaced my savegame from before and now get the error message: Save format version is not compatible version=(0) expected version=(1)

(The game's halfway Earth map, middle ages on a snail game, populated all of Europe and Africa almost 40 cities). Definatety don't want to lose that one!

Last edited:
Top Bottom