Caveman2Cosmos v43 Player Guide

Well I did start a new game since posting and it's a lot different so far. Started on Nightmare, Snail Speed, No tech benefits for humans, Cultural Start locations, no barbs and using SM with all the other C2C options I was using. Got 12 civs near me and all higher score. The two closest civs next to me somehow got 2 cities almost from the start of game right next to each other? Must of been lucky goody huts I guess. Many wars and two with me. I kept off negative traits for this game since I didn't really choose the obvious powerful ones before. So far I'm enjoying SM especially when the animals start forming packs :)

370 turns in and only got my first ring of culture using 1 square plot option too.

Use Blitz//Normal/Long gamespeeds.

Also AIs should start with two cities on Deity/Nightmare handicap - that one is vanilla mechanic.

Also AIs should start with two cities on Deity/Nightmare handicap - that one is vanilla mechanic.

Ah, I didn't know that. Never played Civ 4 much higher than Monarchy/Emperor before.

=========
Can Chasers be combined using SM? I'm not getting the option to combine with my 3 new chasers I made. Same thing for Stone Throwers except when I split one of the stacks first. Then I combined them and then it showed me the combine stack for the 3. But chasers I don't see a split or combine button.

Can Chasers be combined using SM? I'm not getting the option to combine with my 3 new chasers I made. Same thing for Stone Throwers except when I split one of the stacks first. Then I combined them and then it showed me the combine stack for the 3. But chasers I don't see a split or combine button.
There are some classes of units by Category that cannot merge or split. Hunters, scouts, canines. Generally anything that gives a property modifier or ability to spot through veils. When you are merging, you must keep all the units to merge outside of a selection group and only have the leading unit that's going to start the merge initiate the merge mission. All 3 cannot have moved or be injured either and there are a few other possible reasons they might not be allowed to. They must all be the same quality, volume and unit type to merge. You can only merge or split as many times as the era count you're in... Prehistoric one layer, Ancient 2 layers, classical 3, etc...

My SM seems to have issues with splitting and merging. I tried another stack of Stone Throwers. Two had names of my city name Stone Thrower and the other I found from goody hut. They all had 1.0 full health and I even end turned a few more times to make sure. None of them had the option to Merge and when I split the one thrower without a city name none of them had an option to merge again to go back to 1.0 health group. I split another stack of (city name) throwers and they then had the option to merge again. So I merged 1 of those with two of the others that didn't have the merge button twice to get back to 3 stacks of 1.0 health parties. Only then did those 2 I merged finally have the option to merge again to make 1.5 thrower.

My SM seems to have issues with splitting and merging. I tried another stack of Stone Throwers. Two had names of my city name Stone Thrower and the other I found from goody hut. They all had 1.0 full health and I even end turned a few more times to make sure. None of them had the option to Merge and when I split the one thrower without a city name none of them had an option to merge again to go back to 1.0 health group. I split another stack of (city name) throwers and they then had the option to merge again. So I merged 1 of those with two of the others that didn't have the merge button twice to get back to 3 stacks of 1.0 health parties. Only then did those 2 I merged finally have the option to merge again to make 1.5 thrower.
You can't merge a stack of stone throwers. If they are selected in a stack, they won't have the option. They must all be in their own individual selection groups while being on the same plot. Select the one that will start the merge and if the other two are ungrouped in any way, the option should show up. They do have to be on the same plot of course. I'm not saying there can't be some bug I'm not aware of but it's easy to get confused on this stuff at first.

Are there any guides about using the new worldbuilder?

I'm not saying there can't be some bug I'm not aware of but it's easy to get confused on this stuff at first.

Yeah it's definitely some type of bug. I made sure not to have any others selected and they all full health. Sometimes the merge would never show up till I split them and then remerged them per above post. I did get the newest updated version and it fixed some thing like my Shift + Que option not working in the city screen. I built a few stacks of throwers in the last test game and didn't notice the bug.

I also tried build lists but couldn't get them to keep building what was in the list? In the city screen I see my build list called 'Early Build' and select it. It moves to the build que then when I exit the city screen it changes to the first building in the list and Early Build disappears from the que. Even if I spam a bunch they all disappear and same for trying to Alt select it to repeat build. Not sure how to use it. As it is now it just builds 1 building and then I get asked next turn for new build.

Units don't work too well in build lists. Alt select will repeat build a unit and that can be helpful as you can select a string of alt-shift-select units to build batches of various unit types in a repeating sequence.

Not sure what you're experiencing with SM. I haven't done any playtesting in a while but when I do I'll look out for anything like it.

Units don't work too well in build lists.

Not sure what you're experiencing with SM. I haven't done any playtesting in a while but when I do I'll look out for anything like it.

Well, just to be clear. I wasn't placing units in the build lists. Just like 10 of the early production / food buildings. Like Alpha Male/Female, Harems, etc..

How's it supposed to work? Is the build list name suppose to stay in the city build q list? Or is it suppose to populate the the build list with everything in the list?

Mine just puts the name of the list in the que, then when I close the city screen it shows it's building the first building in list and that's it. If I go back into the city. Only the 1 building is in que and sometimes there is a blank square box following it.

It's not a big issue for me. I just thought I'd test it out. I mostly use Ctrl / # keys for setting que's.

But with so many issue's I have with stuff not seeming to work, I wonder if it's my game or what. Like claiming tiles disappear after the it's claimed the first turn (With leaving someone there fortified). Alt + M to place messages will disappear after the next turn as well.

I'm using GoG version 3.19 of Civ4 with the latest build download.

Alt + M to place messages will disappear after the next turn as well.
Alt-M (I think ctrl-S does the same thing) hasn't worked at least since (the miraculous/revolutionary) graphics paging was introduced (5-7 years). I agree it would be great to get it back, I think it needs them to be saved before end turn and reloaded after. I think saves also make them disappear, so they need to be included in saves (and of course loads of those saves).

How's it supposed to work? Is the build list name suppose to stay in the city build q list? Or is it suppose to populate the the build list with everything in the list?
I don't use it much but if I recall you need to alt select the list to get it to keep building the next building in the defined list sequence until it completes.
Like claiming tiles disappear after the it's claimed the first turn (With leaving someone there fortified).
Known bug that comes from having established a decay of claims that don't continue to add a constant source of new culture to the tile. Further work needs to be done for these kinds of unit claims to work again properly. The decay was necessary because there were some very large problems with it not being in place, but there have been some consequent side effects of the change that hasn't been fully adapted to yet.
Alt-M (I think ctrl-S does the same thing) hasn't worked at least since (the miraculous/revolutionary) graphics paging was introduced (5-7 years). I agree it would be great to get it back, I think it needs them to be saved before end turn and reloaded after. I think saves also make them disappear, so they need to be included in saves (and of course loads of those saves).
Some of the best programmers have looked into it and failed... It was a problem before graphics paging but it's certainly possible that stuff added another problem with it. I'll look into it someday.

I'm thinking the issue I have with SM Split / Merge sometimes not showing up maybe doesn't have anything to do with SM after all. I created a stack of like 5 Gatherer's at the same time. The first one I select had the 3 automate buttons but if I selected the 2nd - 5th ones all 3 automate buttons were missing. When I sent out the first one then I got the automate buttons for the 2nd one but not the others and so on. Might have something to do with the unit list mechanics.

The SM thing happens with all units I've tried to merge / split randomly but I've mostly figured out a workaround. Splitting one and then merging it back will usually give me the option to merge them again.

Might have something to do with the unit list mechanics.
That's what I've been trying to explain. All units to merge must not be a part of a selection group. I know that selection grouping and merge grouping can be hard to define the difference and understand my meaning in the two terms so I don't blame you there.

Also, to clarify, gatherers, as worker type units, cannot merge or split either.
The SM thing happens with all units I've tried to merge / split randomly but I've mostly figured out a workaround. Splitting one and then merging it back will usually give me the option to merge them again.
Splitting doesn't care if the unit is in a selection group or not and would clear the unit of any selection group it may be a part of so I can see why this would work.

Top Bottom