1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Mod v2.0 Release

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by antaine, Feb 9, 2010.

1. antaine

antaine King

I tested it and the list works, even though it says "late start."

2. Nalim

Nalim Chieftain

Hello

I've translate UHV in french, here. As i don't know where it goes, i paste it here:

- Contrôler la ville de Rome en 450 ap. J.-C.
    - Contrôler 4 villes dans les Iles Britanniques, 2 villes en Gaule et 1 ville en Galice avant 500 ap. J.-C.
    - Ne perdre aucune ville aux Romains, aux Anglais ou aux Vikings avant 1700 ap. J.-C.

For all it's for your last version, v2.1

Very nice work :)

3. antaine

antaine King

merci beaucoup!

4. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

It shouldn't. Did you only list everything once or did you double up on the lists? Because if you did, you also gave the Byzantines (in the AD 600 start) the Celtic dynamic city names. But that has no effect what so ever on your modmod, as you haven't supplied an actual AD 600 scenario...

Rhye has used a rather... interesting way of determining which scenario is actually playing. Since the Python for both the 3000 BC and the AD 600 start is the same, his code looks for Player #0, that is the Egyptians. If Egypt is available on the active start then its the 3000 BC start, otherwise its 600 AD. Nifty, eh?

Did you realize, by the way, that by replacing iCeltia with iCarthage in all the code, you've really just replaced the value 6 with the value 30, and vice versa. Because those are the values given to these variables by Rhye in Consts.py. So, the game has no idea what "Celts" or "iCeltia" actually is, other than that those variables happen to correspond to those specific Civs in the game.

5. antaine

antaine King

yup...that's why I don't think of it as swapping the celts and carthaginians, but renaming the carthaginians celts and celts carthaginians...and then writing new info for "celts" which the game just knows as "team 6"

6. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I must admit, this sound like a very solid modmod! :king: I haven't actually played any of the version yet, but once I can spare the time I might just do that. :D

I thought I'd take a look at the Civilopedia thing for you. I have never really dabbled with that myself, but I bet its really easy to achieve. Too bad the community hasn't stepped up to help you with this one yet... :p

7. antaine

antaine King

yup, I think the text is from the original game, it's just flagged to include carth at the moment

8. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I believe that you would be correct on this. Lots of stuff isn't present in the Civilopedia, like minor Civs or the Plague "building" or Mercenary only units.

So, somewhere there is some piece of code, or something, that is dictating what info is actually shown and not.

I'll look around some to see what I can find out.

9. patkog

patkog Chieftain

Downloading the new version, i could make the German translation for the UHV's

Here they are:

Kontrollieren Sie die Stadt Rom im Jahr 450 n. Chr.
    Kontrollieren Sie 4 Städte auf den Britischen Inseln, 2 Städte in Gallien und 1 Stadt in Galicien vor 500 n. Chr
    Verlieren Sie bis zum bis zum Jahr 1700 n. Chr. keine einzige Stadt an die Römer, Engländer oder Wikinger

10. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Done. I changed the value on line #504 in CvPediaMain.py (located in ...\Assets\Python\screens\) and that did it. It did nothing to do the same for the leader and the UU, but at least the Celtic ones show up now. But I believe that both Hannibal and the Numidian Cavalry should still be in the Civilopedia, anyway...

File attached.

This takes care of all but the Civs declaring on themselves bug, then? I believe this bug to be found elsewhere also, so it could already be fixed by other modders. Look for it and implement it on your own modmod.

Attached Files:

11. antaine

antaine King

I saw a cryptic answer once by Rhye that it's caused by messing around with the DLL and there's not place to just go and fix it. I'm still looking for answers and am open to suggestions, though.

Thanks for the german and the 'pedia fix.

12. antaine

antaine King

.....removed because I found it....

13. antaine

antaine King

need to get the dun in there as well...

I can see the lines, I just don't know what to do with them.

In the meantime, I'm going to set about trying to replace the writeup about Brennus with one for Brian Boru

14. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Try and comment out line #357 in CvPediaBuilding.py - I actually forgot about the UBs... If you wanna take away the Carthaginian UB try replacing the value 1 on that line with 20.

It should work...

15. jmerry

jmerry Warlord

The dun is in CvPediaBuilding.py, in getBuildingSortedList.

Oh, and thanks for the tip- I'm going to release version 1.1 of my mod, making the extra building I created invisible in the pedia.

16. antaine

antaine King

how is it determined when leaders are replaced with later leaders?

if it is broken down by ages, I'd like to do
    ancient, Brennus agg, exp
    classical, Boudica agg, prot
    medieval, Briain Boroimhe fin, imp
    renaissance, Aodh Mór Ó Néill prot, cre
    modern, Michael Collins cha, cre

I would do a write-up for each of the new ones myself, and just use the animation they provide ...although I think the celts start off in the classical period, in which case I'd use boudica but make her agg/exp

17. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Note that there are no leader traits in RFC! We get the UPs instead.

I haven't done any work involving switching leaders myself yet, but I have thought of making Brennus into the mythical forefather of the royal Russian Rurikid lineage, Rurik I. So I'd come there eventually.

Just a observation: Since you seem to be like me you will actually never finish your modmod, but will continue to see potential for improvement and expansion, ad infinitum. As soon as you sit down and actually play the mod, you will wanna change something and restart with that setting instead. And I'm not counting any kind of play testing as "playing" the mod.

I myself started out with plans for some light modding on RFC in order to create a scenario about Russian history (mostly involving a new set of starting condition). Then I learned Python. Right now I'm far beyond any kind of point of no return with this modding business, as I have more loose ends than I can keep track of...

The thing I was working on before I pretty much devoted my time to your mod was actually decolonialism. My plans for it are so ambitious I don't even dare to continue! Also, I have plans for adding a system of political (and revolutionary) oppositions, resulting in a political aspect to the game. This is such a huge undertaking I haven't even started taking notes yet...

I'm not seeing how I'm ever gonna actually get to play the damned Russia scenario, since it will never be finished and since I've run enough autoplay on RFC to make the whole idea seem... already done. Oh, well... :rolleyes:

18. jmerry

jmerry Warlord

The leader switch happens during anarchy, switching to a random early leader early in the game and a random late leader late in the game. This is controlled by game turn, not era. By the way, leader changes that change traits are bad. I tested a leader with a research bonus trait and one without for the Maya; when the switch triggered, the display went away and the actual research bonus didn't. Leader switches only work nicely in RFC because there aren't any traits- and in my modmod, because every leader for a civ has the same traits.

The Celts should probably have Brennus and Boudica as early leaders, then maybe one of your choice as a late leader.

19. antaine

antaine King

heh...oh, I'm very wary of that. I have to keep reminding myself that I started this whole thing so I could play the Celts in a whole-earth scenario according to Rhye's rules. It was all for naught if I don't ever get to do that. Maybe I'll just do a writeup for Brian Boru and not worry about the other leaders...with no traits there's really not much point anyway.

I'm nearing completion, acutally. I need to fix the leader and add North American cities to everybody's city name map.(the Americans won't rename New York if it's "Grenoble" when they start). Other than that, unless people have balance complaints in the next week or so, I'm done.

Then I can start trying to port all my Celtic additions over to the multiplayer version (which I've never even seen...I'm assuming it's basically the same as RFC with multiplayer function added). I'm happy with the locations, the spawns, the uhvs and all the rest...

20. antaine

antaine King

jmerry, that's not a bad idea. I can just keep them as-is and add brian boru as a late leader.

btw...thanks so much for doing the holy city relocation patch, it's a lifesaver.