[R&F] Changing of datatype in tech table?

iinverse

Chieftain
I noticed that mods changing techs/civics cost starts to show strange numbers when its going too high.

I tested it:

1. Created a simple mod that increase for example tech cost.
Something like
UPDATE Technologies SET Cost = Cost*20

2. Started the game on marathon speed with this mod and R&F enabled.

It resulted in this:
Без-имени-1.jpg

Ok, back to main menu, turn off R&F expansion, start it and everything is ok, tech costs continues to grow past those numbers (even of I do something crazy like Cost*200).
I tried to change multiplicators and saw that tech costs drops to 1 between 36k and 37k, and civic costs - around 64k-70k.

Before R&F I played really long matches with altered tech/civic costs on marathon speed with full scale wars in each era, and now, with this ~36k limit on tech costs units outdated way too fast.

So maybe you have the solution for this problem?

1. Your image is showing number of turns rather than number of beakers. So likely the "breakage point" is a number like 256,000 beakers or 512,000 beakers.
  2. What you are seeing is probably a memory allocation issue, though I am suprised to see it in Civ6 since going to 64bit from civ5's 32-bit was supposed to eliminate these sorts of issues.
    • It is also possible it is merely a glitch in User Interface related to really high tech or civic costs, in which case it would have no actual effect on playing the game
  3. Google why Ghandi is so nuke-happy. It's the same issue here with the tech costs. Civ5 had the same issue when the tech costs got to too high a number.
  4. The game can only handle tech or civic costs from "1" to "X" based on what Firaxis decided was a reasonable number that would give cushion for reasonable corner-cases. Apparently they applied a much lower number for RaF than for Vanilla, perhaps because they needed the bit-space for other things in order to improve performance of the game speed-wise.
  5. Once the cost of a tech or civic exceeds "X" the game either gets a negative number for the tech cost or else it subtracts "X" from the calculated cost, and the result is the tech cost used by the game.
  6. Without hovering over the actual tech icon under your specific condition to see the resulting calculation for the tech cost we cannot discern whether the game is getting a negative number for the breakers-cost of the tech or whether it is subtracting "X" to get a value it can handle. Either case can result in a 1-turn research time.
  7. We do not as yet have access to the source code of the game so we have to intuit by examination what the game does in these corner-case conditions.
There is no real solution to issues relating to memory-allocation space except not inflate costs of techs or civics to the point where they are likely to hit the limit of what the game can handle.

Well, this issue exists only with R&F enabled, vanilla Civ6 doesn't have such problem, so it's something with Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC\Expansion1 files.
It forces to search other ways to slower tech progress :(

Top Bottom