1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap and Nasty Strategies

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by MirandaCore, Jun 17, 2002.

1. MirandaCore

MirandaCore Chieftain

Monarch, Huge Map. 9 civs including myself. Its easy to get a ton of units. All u have to do is stick with Monarchy as a government, expand, and dense build around ur 2 capitals. Also, get the pyramids so that u can mine all the spaces around ur city (u won't need irrigation)

One trick I sometimes use is to get a lot of horseman, get Learnado's Workshop, and upgrade all the horseman.

First thing I do when I attack is to deny the enemy horses. Or if they don't have horses in the first place, all the better. The computer is silly because they get a ton of footsoldiers, which are pathetic against hordes of calvary.

One final thing: If a Civ wars on u (instead of the other way around), always get one other civ to ally with u. That way, that civ that just allied with u will pull in other civs to war against the person warring on u. Thats how I got the Greeks crushed on my continent.

How do u avoid the "Need CD to RUN" problem with version 1.21f? i can't upgrade since I got my game from a friend and am running it w/o a cd.

2. MirandaCore

MirandaCore Chieftain

Oh, one final thing. I don't get defense. I use warriors to keep my people happy. All I get is hordes of horseman, knights, or calvary depending on my tech. Those units are highly manueverable and pack a powerful punch.

The best defense is a good offense.

3. Black Waltz

Black Waltz Prince

Easy, buy the game: Cheapskate.

4. cafka

cafka Working Class Hero

When you're out on a rampage, and suddenly finds yourself in another war against another neighbour who wants some ****; what are you going to do, with your "highly manueverable" units along way from home?

I always keep a basic defense at hand, 2-3 modern, defensive units per town. Alot more if it's a capital, or if I'm just very powerful. ;)

At the same time, the attacking forces are always disbanded (with very few exceptions) after a successfull war campaign.

5. alpha one

alpha one Jarl

I am rarely at war, but I do always keep one defensiv unit (always the most powerfull aviable) in each city, in wartime allways two.

By the way cafka: det er alltid hyggelig med noen ekstra skandinavere her, trodde jeg var den eneste.

6. provolt

provolt Chieftain

This is NOT a problem. You stole the game. If you want support, go buy the game. If you are too cheap to buy it, then you'll have to deal with the limited functionality. (And you should be grateful for being able to play at all.)

7. ChickinSht

ChickinSht Small woodland creature

Ok, first, get your friends CD. Then, take a knife and scratch a line from the center of the CD to the bottom. Then, shove it up your ass.

8. cafka

cafka Working Class Hero

Den ende skandinaven? :) Inte alls. Själv har jag sett en massa svenskar, några danskar och någon norrman. ;)

9. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Chieftain

I don't know about you guys but I've got a big problem here now. I declare war on Egypt and now, I've got 9 other civs declaring war on me. Urgh!!! Does that count as "ganging up"?

10. zagnut

zagnut Monarch

I usually play on Monarch level and have stumbled upon a strategy to prevent being overrun by the AI when it attacks with a stack of infantry. Infantry seem to be a favorite of the AI. In my last game I was playing as the Iroquis and was attacked by my neighbor the Zulus. They came across the border with a couple of stacks of primarily infantry - about 15 -20 per stack in two stacks and several smaller stacks for a total of about 60 units. Since I had railroads I quickly moved all of my infantry and other defensive units to the nearest city (Rome). I put 5 infantry units in Rome and then created a wall of infantry units to block the Zulus from being able to move without attacking my infantry. Each of my infantry wall stacks contained 3 infantry units. I found that the AI would not attack any of the squares in which I had stationed 3 infantry units. Instead they turned back!!! I kept moving my wall forward to force them back and eventually was able to surround them.

In the meantime, I had moved more infantry units to Rome. I don't know how many I had when they finally decided to attack Rome but think it was about 15. Those 15 units, all fortified, succeeded in killing 52 attacking infantry units. Every unit in the Zulu stack was killed. In the process I lost maybe 5 units, but the ones that survived were all elite units.

The key to this stategy seems to be the reluctance of the AI to attack a space with 3 or more strong defensive units, when it has units of the same type.

11. Sparhawk

Sparhawk Chieftain

A very useful tip. Thanks.

12. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

MAAAAAAAYBE.

That feature was added to keep idiots from stealing the game, and to irritate the rest of us into learning how to use machine language.

What you need to do is remove the hard drive from your computer and stick it in the freezer until it gets cold, then drop it on the floor a few times from a height of at least 15 feet (dropping it from a second story window will be sufficient) and then while it's still cold, hook it back up to your computer and boot from it.

If that doesn't work, buy the freakin game!

Here's a cheap strategy for you:

Get some fast units, constantly kick the bad guys out of your territory when they intrude, and when they've had enough of your insolent demands of territorial respect and DOW you, rush in and take a city or two, then at the bargaining table, get any crappy city they'll give up, and in your next war, use that city as your bargaining chip.

Was that complicated enough? :crazyeye: You are getting sleepy... Sleeeeeeepy.

13. Jamesmor

Jamesmor Chieftain

ok, my fav strategy is to , rush my tech up to where i get icbm's, then nuke the hell outta the civ i'm gonna invade usually takes 5 turns to take over a 16 city civ :)

14. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

i cheap tactic is to give all your openennts techs to build wonders.they build it you sign rop with the civ with the most important wonders and you capture the city....

15. ProPain

ProPain King

Great post Zagnut. Will try this in my games!

ProPain

16. dikwhit

dikwhit Warlord

the no cd problem is easy to fix
    ask mommy and daddy to buy it for your birthday or xmas

otherwise

GET A FREAKIN' JOB YA LAZY BUM.