Cheats!

richstex

Chieftain
A handy built-in cheat program would allow those of us who have only 1-2 hrs. on an occasional evening to enjoy a short, combat-intensive game.

Try using the Civ Editer.

I think cheating in civ defeats playing the game in the first place.

It's played to be a challenge and not a walk in the park. If you want a cruisy easy to win game then use the editor to change the game rules.

In-built cheat mode would be fine, as long as it couldn't be hacked to be available in multiplayer or other PBEM games, or any tournament game.

Personally, if the problem is with not being able to have 'short' games, then that's a different problem that cheating is not the best solution for.

ainwood said:
In-built cheat mode would be fine, as long as it couldn't be hacked to be available in multiplayer or other PBEM games, or any tournament game.

Thats one thing to be wary off is cheating in MP. But if playing a SG, why would you cheat? You want a warrior to beat a Mech Inf? Or for a Tank to finally be able to beat a Spearman?

I personally can't see any reason to play this game if it is a walkover, or if the RNG went your way EVERY single time. It takes the 'strategy' out of the title and replaces it with 'predictable and boring'.

Chieftan and Warlord are so easy that if a quick fast game is required then play on those levels on a tiny map. Or play a conquests scenario.
But I see no benefit in cheating at this game at all.

Some things like reveal map, might be useful cheats to just give a player a slight advantage but not too much of an advantage that the game becomes pointless.

Dell19 said:
Some things like reveal map, might be useful cheats to just give a player a slight advantage but not too much of an advantage that the game becomes pointless.

I heard that the AI can see the whole map anyway but just behaves in a way that would suggest it couldn't. They have certainly taken some of my cities that they shouldn't have known about.

I see no reason why building in a cheat option would be a bad thing. What you have to remember is that its an OPTION - don't use it if you don't want to (personaly I wouldn't use it).

The thing is that it must be added carefully so that it cannot be exploited and it must be immediately obvious that some cheats have been used so that it is clear for GOTMs etc. Also it would be useful if a list of the cheats used were stored so that it was possible to remind yourself as to how much you had to cheat to win.

A cheat mode would be great. Sometimes, one gets struck by a "what if?" possibility that is more interesting than the way that the game is already progressing. Keep in mind, a cheat doesn't have to be used to make your own position better. It can be used to spice up the oposition in a game that that has become a boring walkover.

t3h_m013 said:
maybe your total score gets decreased?

To avoid having eventual arguements on which cheats are worse then its probably best to just keep the normal score but mark it as a game where cheats were used.

All I know is that when it takes me 10 turns to gain 1 cavalry unit & I'm immediately confronted by TWELVE cavalry units at my doorstep, then gameplay is definitely tilted in favor of the AI. And, yes, I'm referring to solitaire play so I'm not interested in score-keeping or other trivial stats. Everyone wants to customize this & other games to suit his/her tastes. I would like the option of evening the odds when the AI itself cheats.

They may have already had 10 knights that they upgraded once they got the necessary tech if you believe that they had only just got the tech to build them.

Maybe, but if the AI had no money? They would still built/upgraded them.

Another way of cheating (though it takes a lot of time) I learned from RPG's is saving and loading prior to combat or other major action.

Though it's a bit lame.

Dell19 said:
To avoid having eventual arguements on which cheats are worse then its probably best to just keep the normal score but mark it as a game where cheats were used.

yes, quite possibly. Or maybe not get into the hall of fame? or will people not like thast idea

The Last Conformist said:
If something like the CivII Cheat Mode is introduced, I'd like such games not to be recorded in the HoF at all. I hated it when you tried out something in Cheat Mode, and then had it blight your HoF.

Save the game under a different name, cheat, reload the old save. Although if you are just trying a cheat then I doubt you should try it out on a HoF game since its meant to be the best scores without any form of cheating.

The cheat I missed which wasn't (necessarily) abusive was the ability to restore a unit's move. I hate it when I hit the wrong key and send a unit to the wrong place, especially like "off the road and into the mountains". Being able to restore the units move and get it back into place isn't abusive, just correcting a silly mistake.

No! Please not in-game cheats like in Civ2! When I start using it it ruins the whole enjoyment of playing Civ. Cheating was what made me stop playing AoE, and it nearly stopped me from playing Civ2. :(

I think that cheats shouldn't be implemented. Usually the game isn't too hard to ruin you if you have 1 unit move off a square once, it's only annoying, but hey, I'm sure if you're the leader of a country, you don't get all of the soldiers to attack only here, some go off into the mountains and stuff.

Besides, the "Undo" function is there. All you have to do is to load the last auto-save and redo all of your past actions of that turn. But still, cheating shouldn't be implemented. All of the things that you would need cheating for you could simply do in Civ3 or make a map where your conditions fit you better.

Besides, if levels like Sid and Diety are too easy for you, and levels like Chieften and Warlord are too hard, well take a break or practice more (respectively).

Top Bottom