Chi - Huge Fractal - invite only

I am all for advanced start, or at least for one extra warrior and 2 extra workers..

Other points are made in my email..

Once again the maps, as I like them to be on top of page 2 ;)

Mirror, inversion, snake continents and cylindrical map

Below are 3 screenshots of 3 different maps with these settings..

1)

2)

3)

I prefer not to play unrestricted leaders.
I don't mind diplo on as long as vassals are off.
Advanced start is OK actually but no more than 600 points or so.

If we have AI we'd need to up the difficulty level surely... to monarch at least I'd say.

Fine with no tech trading.

Barbs on a must! I like huts don't mind whether events are on or off.

I'm strongly against the introduction of AI players - it will present so many opportunities for unbalanced results that it is stupid, especially at low difficulties. No every civ will behave the same, some will be peaceful, friendly and easy to kill and some will be bastards and make the human civ have to build up militarily a lot more and sacrifice economy.

If you guys all want it then I shall have to pull out as its too unbalanced for my liking.

If we don't have a full set of live players, than a huge map and low seas just seems too big to me. I like events, huts, barbs, to be normal. I've never played unrestricted leaders, so am willing to give it a try.

Well raging barbs, aggressive ai, and upping the difficulty level normally ensures it is not too much of a pushover for individual tribes.

For example, with 10 humans, and 8 ai, and two cities to start it is reasonably likely that the nearest tribe is human, and quite likely that there will be competition to carve up the nearest ai.

But I agree there could be imbalances in the layout, it's a question of degree, I guess.

And I guess there is another missed option in the email I sent...
..if we have ai, what difficulty level should we have, and aggressive or not?

I am also against AI players, and I agree then it's best to make the map smaller, or make it high seas.

Huts I wouldn't use..
600 points would be a nice advanced start.

If we only have human players, then I would like to see Monarch level, it speeds things up a bit..

I'm up for whatever we decide to do. I checked out the Big and Little and didn't care for the map layouts when I went into WB testing 3-4 times. I'd prefer Custom Continents with the number of continents being Random. WB check of that map looked good 4 for 4 when I checked. AI or Not, I don't care though with 18 civs Huge it would be necessary though with the Large Map All Human would work (high seas, temperate climate). No tech trading is preferred. Civs and leaders I like the randomness. I'll send my email in with my preferences marked. I really don't like points to pick and choose; I prefer us all getting the same start. That's why I prefer the Classical start.
I'm ready. :D

Well on the ai front, it seems to be 2 for, 2 against.

The huge map is a given.

= = =

To put it in some context, there are quite a few games started on the forum with moderate numbers and moderate maps.
I am here specifically reaching for an unusual experience with a large number of players.
There will, I am sure, be other games along fairly soon that have smaller numbers.

The problem I see with large numbers of players is the usual dropouts. I am actively seeking to avoid that outcome by the pre-selection of invitees.

My preferences. I don't feel strongly about any of them. They're just preferences.

Map: Big and Small Don't mind.
Size: Huge
Climate: Temperate Yes
SeaLevel: Low Yes
Era: Ancient Yes
Speed: Normal Yes
WorldWrap: Cylindrical Toroidal
Resources: Standard Yes

Advanced Start: or Classical Ancient
No City Razing: off/default Allow
No City Flipping: off/default Allow
City Flipping After Conquest: off/default Allow
No Barbs: off/default Yes
Raging Barbs: on Yes
Aggressive AI: on Yes

Random Leaders: ON
Random Tribes: ON
Random Personality: off/default OK
Choose Religion: off/default Yes
No Tech Trading: on (= Tech Trading not allowed ....) Yes
No Tech Brokering: on (= Tech Trading not allowed ....) Yes

Victories: (All on/default)
----------
Time = on/default
Conquest = on/default
Domination = on/default
Cultural = on/default
Space Race = on/default On
Diplomatic = off/default On

Bold black is a done deal.
Red implies some level of disagreement - ie different people suggest different things
Normal print implies default, because no suggestions so far.

Also, maximise number of tribes to 18 by filling slots with ai. Yes

I've been practising with what may be our game parameters as knowing what to do with what gold I get to spend is debatable. I have not done well nor have I stunk playing 20-50 turns to try and be organized. I have started most of the time with the generic gold for that set up 720. It is enough for 2 cities a few units and some improvements. How anyone plays their game will decide the rest. I had 2 terrible locations, 5 OK and 1 good one. I was playing the 1 against 17 AIs so that's understandable. With 8 or 9 humans the location odds improve somewhat. :) I hope. 1 of those 6-8 practices had a terrible map, all snake-like. The others were decent. I did try once going hog wild with 850 gold, built 3 cities teched bronze and foolishly spent. The barbs were overunning me by the 40th turn.

Hints on advanced setup
(this advise is based on 6000 points.. not all may work with 600)

* make one city first, then take the techs mining, bronze, iron and animal handling
then decide on position of other cities

* dont make to much cities

* you can make swordsmen (for example) already during the setup (get techs, develop improvement and road and then you can build them in the connected cities).

* take your civs strong points into account. An industrious player can set up forges for half the set up cost of others..

* know that others can see which strategy you choose in the demographics screen

* on religion:
what actually happens is that FIRST all players setup,
AFTER THAT is decided who is the founder of which religion

So if 6 people have buddism tech, all have 16,6% chance to be the founder.
So if you discover buddism, hinduism and monotheism you have at least 50% chance to be a founder of a religion.
(just test it with AI players and you'll see)

* experiment!

May I suggest that if after 2-3 turns that we vote on a restart in case it turns out to be a lot of nasty starts or seems to be a bad map?

Yup, sorry guys but as you have decided to play with AI, I am going to drop out of this game as that has no appeal to me.

Thanks for inviting me though.

To be honest I'd rather play on a smaller map with no AI as well...

To be honest I'd rather play on a smaller map with no AI as well...

Many/most games have no ai on smaller maps, so I guess I wanted this one different.
The votes turned out even, and I exercised my opinion.

The AI is annoying though....

I personally would like no AI better..

Luck tends to be a big factor then (which AI is near you and how does it behave).

Giving more advanced start points would counter this a bit.. (as more can be planned then)

I'll play a game with AI.

I think we should have another game as well including TwinkleToes, large/no ai.

I personally would like no AI better..
Luck tends to be a big factor then (which AI is near you and how does it behave).

Yup. I already counted your vote.

Giving more advanced start points would counter this a bit.. (as more can be planned then)

Not sure why. The ai get the same points. I thought upping the difficulty, which is what we're doing, gives the ai more of an advantage, so less of a pushover.

Top Bottom