City Names mod for Sevomod

Well, if the city name is exactly the same, and it's on both lists, then it only appears in-game once. Which is why I have Corboda included for both the Spanish and Arabs - whichever gets to it first, gets Cordoba. That part is simple. It's if the same city has different names that causes problems.

As for the geography code, that's probably far easier to do in games with specific maps. That's the last part of my plan, though, but I'll post it around if I get it figured out.

Here's a fun one: Amman, in Jordan, was known to the Romans and Greeks as Philadelphia. I have no idea what would happen if I told the game to change a city name if conquered by the Greeks/Romans to a city name which already existed, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

sorry, i've been incapacitated for awhile. where do we stand on my work?

PA, in the second page, I responded to you. Basically, as is, what you ask is extraordinary amount of work. I'm looking for a way for it not to be - currently, I'm researching certain historical cities and checking out Rhye's Catapult.

I find this to be an interesting mod, amoungst many. Having played the Civ series since the the very first one it good to see how many people put their own twist on it. I'm not a programmer nor modder but I enjoy the fruits of the labor of those that are. What I would find interesting in this mod is a function to show interesting historical facts through history with an given Civ. something that could be turned on or off for those with little interest. Granted it would have to be an expansive database of info or it would get rather boring fairly quickly if the same few tidbit of history kept popping up. Since this mod deal more directly with historical accuracy this might be be the one to do it as the aurthor expressed an interest in history. Just a thought, if interested. Not being savvy to how to mod this game though it would seem from what I've read that it is learnable, I not sure any one would want to fool with this type of addition. Otherwise I look forward to seeing the completed mod, I've downloaded it now to install and try it. Thanks Dave

hs1611 said:
Let me know exactly what you need for Portuguese cities and I'll see if I can help.

HS, if you could compile a list of Portuguese in order of historical importance, that's really all I need. I only really know Lisbon, Oporto, and the important colonies - Macau, Goa, Rio, Sao Paulo. I don't know the difference between a Leira and a Faro like I do the difference between a Savannah and a Seattle.

For an example of how I might want colonies/historical cities/modern cities to line up, I was pretty happy with England.

Leatherneck, that could be fun - having a CityOpedia!

Arkaeyn said:
HS, if you could compile a list of Portuguese in order of historical importance, that's really all I need.
Will do. I'll let you know when it's done. Might take a few days. I have to do some research and my 4 year old son just started school summer break!!:crazyeye:

ah, i understand the problems with the coding. i tried a little of it and quit an hour later with 5 cities done. until we find a better way, it's hopeless. however, i do enjoy researching the various exonyms around the world and if you give me a list of cities and civilizations, i will gladly find the various names just in case an easier way to mod is discovered.

OK, the zip archive has three files, one .doc file with City names with some information on the cities, one .doc file with the proposed order and one .xml file with the City names in the same order as the previous.
The names of the files are self explanatory.
I used portuguese names with portuguese characters. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

View attachment Portugal - Cities.zip

Just in case you meant to copy paste the names, here they go:

Proposed Ordered List of Portuguese Cities (let me know if you have any problems with accented characters and I’ll try to get you the ALT codes) (COL – Former Colonies):

Lisboa
Porto
Coimbra
Évora
Faro
Setúbal
Sagres
Ceuta - COL
Porto Santo
Funchal
Barreiro
Vila do Porto
Ponta Delgada
Horta
Angra do Heroísmo
Bissau - COL
Praia - COL
Santarém
Beja
Bahia - COL
São Paulo - COL
Rio de Janeiro - COL
Braga
Bragança
Luanda - COL
Lourenço Marques - COL
Leiria
Aveiro
Goa - COL
Damão - COL
Diu - COL
Vila Real
Macau - COL
Viseu
Dili - COL
Castelo Branco
Flores Island - COL
Viana do Castelo
Portalegre
Bahrain - COL
Jaffna - COL
Malacca - COL

ok, here's an idea that incorporates many of the aspects that you seem to be wanting, although some of them i cant wrap my head around unless you are playing a scenario with a set map and then it would be a slightly easier matter to simply hardcode them into the scenario... anyhow...

data structures...

instead of listing the cities by civs, they are consolidated into one big list, classified into categories, and then sorted by distance from capitol and flagged with the relevant civilizations and assigned a percentage, pseudonyms, and whether they are on the same continent as capitol or not)

For instance ~

Boston - American (Boston, 100,mainland), England (Bostonia, 10,overseas)

this would mean if the city has not been created, the americans will name their next city Boston 100% of the time if its on the same continent as their capitol. the english would create the city of Bostonia 10% of the time if its not on the same continent as their capitol, or rename Boston to Bostonia if captured. (not historically accurate, but I needed an example). If this name isnt chosen or suitable, it will continue moving down the list until it finds one that IS suitable and not in use.

But this isnt the half of it. Since we're trying to be accurate here...

Lets sort them into separate lists... not by civilization, but by terrain.

To start simple, I'll keep the idea lists limited to...

Inland ~ (no water squares in city limits)
Coastal ~ (Adjacent to at least one water square)
Near Coast ~ (Water Square in city limits, but not directly adjacent)
Island/Peninsula ~ (majority of water squares in city limits)

other possibilites include ~
Highlands ~ (majority of squares are mountains/hills)
Woodlands ~ (jungle/forest)
Polar and Desert and any mod-specific terrains you can think of.

So basically... when a city is created... it will be assigned a name from the game by default... doesnt matter what it is... because it will IMMEDIATELY be renamed...

the script will first find the civilization that created the city, whether the city is on the same continent as that civ's capitol, whether its adjacent to water, and whether any terrain in city limits has a majority.

If its adjacent to water, it will start at the top of the "Coastal" list, and work down until it finds a city possible for that civilization, and check to see if it is the same overseas/mainland status... if not, it will move on. If it is, it will roll the % to see if the name is chosen. (this is important since some cities may be important for some civilizations, but not for others... such as the boston example). If the city isnt chosen, it continues until one is. IF the end of the list is reached without ANY cities being selected then it starts from the beginning again, and simply takes the first city open to the civ. If NO cities are left for the civ, then it will start over AGAIN and simply take the first free city. If none are found at this point... then I dunno... I guess it could use the default citynames which can be set to some generic junk unused in the lists.

When a city is CAPTURED, it will simply find the city in the list, and see if there is a pseudonym assigned for the city capturing it. If there is, it will be renamed. If there isnt, it will remain the same.

Hopefully this concept is diverse enough for your needs but feasible enough to be coded in. To keep things simple, I didnt @!#$ with the initial coding at all, but it could hopefully be done in a manner entirely separate from the existing mechanics.

Wow, that is a very nice proposial Rashad, I am interested to see this integrated into the game, sounds very versatile and useful. :)

wow, that sounds amazing..plus my research of exonyms would be useful!

Rashad, that's very similar to what I was planning to do. The problem I had was that the city lists are in XML, and the renaming is in Python. And I don't know how to make the two interact. I think you're on the right track!

Arkaeyn said:
Rashad, that's very similar to what I was planning to do. The problem I had was that the city lists are in XML, and the renaming is in Python. And I don't know how to make the two interact. I think you're on the right track!

i think you may have overlooked a minor technicality of the idea...

instead of dealing with vanilla civ's city lists, it ignores them and draws upon another list to rename the cities afterwards.

if its possible to read the information from an outside list, then it should be fairly routine. but i have little ability or inclination to either discover if its possible, or write it if it is. =)

(personally, I'm content with the names being completely random and unrealistic. i havent renamed a city since Civ1)

Top Bottom