City screen issue and crash

Predator145

Prince
After some changes in number positioning on the pedialcon of some improvements my game doesn't seem to be reading from the same city screen icon sheets anymore. Everything from The Internet and down is displayed as blank in game. It seems like the game reads from the Vanilla sheet. The scenario properties are still the same.

I have checked and confirmed that the slots are of the correct number after taking into account the bogus numbers on the icon sheets (starting with Wealth being 33 after Police Station being 29) and the fact that you have to subtract 1 from the actual number you've counted on the sheet due to the fist number on the pedialcon being 0.

So how do I get the scenario to start reading the correct sheets I have in the scenario folder?

Another problem (I'm not sure if related to the above) is that my game crashes in between turns after the German's unit animations are finished playing during industrial age (there were more civ's animations to come). There was no error message. Another frustrating mystery. "SINGLE vs ERA vs CULTURE" on the pedialcon seems to result in that kind of crash?

I've also noticed that the Vanilla and PTW pedialcons for buildings doesn't have a number. So how does the mechanism work?

Last edited:
So I've tried making back ups and then delete the "buildings-large" and "buildings-small" files from all 3 games. And sure enough, both stock game and my mod crashed with the error message of not being able to find "buildings-small".

Strangely enough my mod could no longer read the city screen files from its own folder. But it did that successfully before. Now it ignores it. I putting those files into the Conquest/Art/city screen folder and the game crashed as it's no longer able to read them. I only changed the order of some improvements. What happened that made the game no longer be able to read them?

When I put the Conquest city screen files back both stock game and my mod read them ok again. But I need my mod to read according to its properties like it did before.

Edit: I found out that I've managed to somehow turn those 2 files into png files. By exporting them as pcx files I've solved the building problem. The crash on the other hand...

Last edited:
Predator145, it seems now only the "crash" problem has left. Here the first thing that is important is, if it is really a crash to desktop without a message (ctd) or a freeze (the game stops progressing). If it is a freeze it can be the houseboat bug or a pathfinding error of one of your units in your current game.

In any case it can be helpful to watch the turn when the "crash" occurs with the multiplayer tool by setting each of the civs to be played as the human player. If the "crash" occurs soon after changing into the industrial era, may be you have done another graphical mistake, per example by setting city graphics not to pcx format, too. The industrial era also is problematic, as in C3C a different techtree graphic with a different name is needed. If you only have the old science_industrial graphic (with the naming of vanilla and PtW) in your C3C advisor folder, C3C is not finding the filename science_industrial_new, that C3C needs for the techtree in the industrial era. The graphics of that techtree and its name was changed, as the tech Radio is no longer a part of C3C. So a possible source for crashes here can be settings with wrong techs in that era, too.

Unfortunately there is a cornucopia of reasons that can trigger problems, among them such strange things as you did it with using a png format instead of the needed pcx format for graphics and here giving help without the proper information is mostly like searching for a needle in the haystack (and if the proper information can be given, the problem is mostly solved by the modder him- or herself). So in these cases it is mostly the destiny of the modder to find out the source of the problem him- or herself and here I wish you good luck to find that source. :)

Predator145, it seems now only the "crash" problem has left. Here the first thing that is important is, if it is really a crash to desktop without a message (ctd) or a freeze (the game stops progressing). If it is a freeze it can be the houseboat bug or a pathfinding error of one of your units in your current game.

In any case it can be helpful to watch the turn when the "crash" occurs with the multiplayer tool by setting each of the civs to be played as the human player. If the "crash" occurs soon after changing into the industrial era, may be you have done another graphical mistake, per example by setting city graphics not to pcx format, too. The industrial era also is problematic, as in C3C a different techtree graphic with a different name is needed. If you only have the old science_industrial graphic (with the naming of vanilla and PtW) in your C3C advisor folder, C3C is not finding the filename science_industrial_new, that C3C needs for the techtree in the industrial era. The graphics of that techtree and its name was changed, as the tech Radio is no longer a part of C3C. So a possible source for crashes here can be settings with wrong techs in that era, too.

Unfortunately there is a cornucopia of reasons that can trigger problems, among them such strange things as you did it with using a png format instead of the needed pcx format for graphics and here giving help without the proper information is mostly like searching for a needle in the haystack (and if the proper information can be given, the problem is mostly solved by the modder him- or herself). So in these cases it is mostly the destiny of the modder to find out the source of the problem him- or herself and here I wish you good luck to find that source. :)

The game crashes by exiting on its own. It happens during interturn, 2 civ's units moved with 3 more civs left to go. So something with the 3rd civ's units must have caused the crash? But usually when it's unit related there would be an error message because it's something the game couldn't find on the pedialcon text. The AIs have all been in Industrial age for quite a while while I myself am still in the Middle Ages.

What is the Multiplayer tool? From what I've googled it's something that doesn't work on the Steam version.

The science_industrial_new file is in the Conquest/Art folder and in pcx form.

It looks it's gonna be on me to solve this and the Industrial Age tech tree crash.

Edit: Industrial Age tech tree crash has been solved. One of my tech had itself as a requirement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom