Civ 1 Editions & Features Breakdown.

Dracul JOSHI

Chieftain
Ok, this is mostly just to see if I got it straight and to keep my head ordered because I have gone through so much information over the last couple of days to get into this game.

DOS
  • Supports custom civ (hit escape when choosing civ)
  • Most stable keyboard only (there is a mouse option, but it tends to bug the game out for me. YMMV)
  • Fastest for turn computing. (especially if you up the DOSBOX processing)
  • Contains Zulu but not Japan
  • Earthmap 1
CivNet for Windows 3.x
  • Improved graphics
  • stable mouse interface
  • supports custom civs
  • Has separate guide and map editor
  • Better music (couldn't get it to work though. 3.x is a POS.)
  • Slower unless using WinG... if it works.
  • Online Multiplayer (only in a proper 3.1 environment, not on dosbox)
  • Includes Zulu but not Japan
CivNet for Windows 95 and up (from the Civliizatons Collection)
  • Improved graphics
  • Supports custom civs
  • functioning online (at least for LAN)
  • Fastest Civnet version
  • Included Zulu but not Japan
Super Nintendo
  • Clear controler interface
  • Graphics comparable to the CivNet version
  • Uses Earthmap 2
  • Contains Japan instead of Zulu
  • somewhat slow
  • Separates the construction of mines from turning fields into forest, altering gameplay around resources such as oil, coal and gemstones.
  • Does not support custom civs. (or I couldn't figure out how to)
Civilization: Shin Sekai Shichi Dai Bunmei (PSX & Sega Saturn version)
keep in mind, most of the following is what I can glean from screenshots. Haven't played it yet.
  • Uses Earthmap 2 or possibly an earthmap 3, haven't been able to confirm yet.
  • Includes Japan instead of Zulu
  • Does not support custom civs.
  • Appears to be build on the SNES version, so separates mining from harvesting
  • Best graphics. (Though I find the Isometric view disorienting, prefer the SNES one)
  • Improved information HUD
  • Japanese only. (There is a translated rom, but it need to use a lot of abbreviations.)

From what I can glean, the PSX/SS version is technically the most advanced version, but only really good if you understand japanese.
I am still trying to figure out which one I prefer... so far I really like the SNES version.

Which is your favourite and why?

Funny this should pop up today. I've just been trying to get CivNet and CivWin working on my 64-bit Windows 10, but it's a bit of strain on my limited grey matter. I'm surprised that there's not a section about modern functionality on the main Civ 1 pages on here or Apolyton.

Anyway, CivNet's more detailed graphics, higher resolution and Windows-derived UI made it my version of choice. Not a fan of CivDOS' tiny 320x200 interface.

Kind of moot at this point because CivDOS is the only version I've been able to get running in the last decade. Going to have to figure out how to use VirtualBox at some stage, I guess.

Funny this should pop up today. I've just been trying to get CivNet and CivWin working on my 64-bit Windows 10, but it's a bit of strain on my limited grey matter. I'm surprised that there's not a section about modern functionality on the main Civ 1 pages on here or Apolyton.

Anyway, CivNet's more detailed graphics, higher resolution and Windows-derived UI made it my version of choice. Not a fan of CivDOS' tiny 320x200 interface.

Kind of moot at this point because CivDOS is the only version I've been able to get running in the last decade. Going to have to figure out how to use VirtualBox at some stage, I guess.

I mean, if you get ZSNES or SNES 9x, playing the SNES version is REALLY easy and convenient... would be my recommendation. If you are familiar with the buildings, you may also play the translated ISO from the PSX version easy enough on an emulator since you can easily make sense of the abbreviations.

Really, the only reason to play CivNet IMHO is for online...or a custom Civ, otherwise I find the console versions superior.

Btw, you can look into PC-98 version here:

Pretty lazy port, but it is like a intermediate link in evolution between DOS and SNES versions. You can see a palace in Japanese style (palace building does not exist in SNES version) and Japanese advisors, diplomacy screen and leader (Tokugawa, iirc) in more "civdos" style.

I think Civ DOS is my favourite, it's the version I come back to most. I played CivNet a bunch in the past, so might try it out again some time. But I think DOS holds a special place though as I remember playing it for hours when I was a kid!

That SS version looks pretty intriguing, looks like CivNet graphics, I wonder what the AI is like, especially on higher difficulties... Thanks for sharing the vid!

Hi @Dracul JOSHI , it's a long shot given how old this thread is but I'm curious that you included a separate entry in your list for 'CivNet for Windows 95' included in a 'Civilizations Collection'. Current knowledge as far as I'm aware is that there's one version of CivNet which works on both Windows 3.1 and 95 + a few patches. Is this collection something you own? I'm not aware of CivNet being bundled in any compilation. Just curious if there's yet another alternative Civ 1 version floating around that can be documented!

Top Bottom