Civ 1 on a laptop

Dustpuppy

Chieftain
Hi there, I would love to be able to play Civ 1 on my laptop. I'm running Dosbox under Linux, and there's no problem there, the problem is that I can't move diagonally. Because I don't have a numberpad, the only movement keys I have access to are the four arrow keys, and if I turn the numlock on then the "numberpad keys" just move the map around.

Please help!

Thankyou, O Great Chieftain! My long train journey tonight suddenly looks much less boring...

Thanks!

London to York - on the slow train, it takes 2 hours 40 minutes. Civ will definitely improve things!

Yes, when you'll arrive you have probably discovered important advances like Mathematics and Writing, build a couple of Wonders Of The World and explored several continents while the other passengers were busy thinking about their sad and pointless lives...
Feel great with CIV and have a nice trip.

I would also suggest you to play Sid Meier's colonization, as it is same period (just a bit younger) as Civ1/2, and there are no equivalent up till now...
With Civ 1 and Colonization, you can even do the return from York to ... Paddington? AND wait quietly in the traffic jam while you finish some trades with the natives indians... at better rate than at Harrods.

I have just tried Colonization for windows. I have Windows 98se.

I loved the graphics. And the idea behind Colonization. The music. The sounds.

And I loved the little ship sailing from England with my few settlers on it.

But alas. I encountered more Blue Screens of Death with this game than I have experienced with my computer in the last 5 years.

It is full of bugs. You click on this or that and you are in big trouble.

I am telling this game goodbye, as much as I hate to.

Maybe someday there will be a Colonization 2 that all of us can play and enjoy.

stwils

What a pity...
I have both, for windows and dos, and everything is fine since I patched them, 6 or 7 years ago...
Can you tell me what version you use for Windows?
My windows version is 3.1415926 24-May-95 (it is on top of the menu)
To be honest, I prefer playing with my DOS version, it is not as "clean" for the graphic as the windows version, but I really had no trouble.

stwils said:
My version is 3.1415932 20 Mar 95.
Thanks for response. I think it is a pity, too.
stwils
:confused: Funny, my version number (3.1415926) is smaller than yours(3.1415932) but later (I am May while you are March). Perhaps is it because I have the U.K. produced version: it was made by Microprose, The Ridge, Chipping Sodbury, South Glos, BS17 68N UK (I read what is on my CD...)

Top Bottom