1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

civ 2 crashes on windows 7

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by killing time, Nov 14, 2009.

1. TomzzzInc

TomzzzInc Chieftain

I've had problems playing Civ 2 on Windows 7 32bit, so quite a while ago I installed XP virtual PC. But that way Civ2 didn't run properly, it was slow and stuttering.
    So I didn't play civ2 for quite a while until this friday and just tried starting Civ 2 from windows 7 and it suddenly worked. And I noticed I didn't have the disc inserted. But when I wanted to play again yesterday it stopped working again, with a NTVDM error. And today I started to close applications to see if anything made civ2 not working properly, and noticed i had inserted the cd. And when I ejected the cd and tried again it suddenly worked. So my problem was the cd, which means I can only play without the cd, which means no High Counsil and no music.
    Does anyone have a fix for this problem? I'm happy I can play but I really like the high counsil.

I'm having no compatibility options enabled by the way.

2. Brakeman

Brakeman Chieftain

Can anyone help me? running windows 7 64-Bit but wont save the game
    Am new to this board not sure how to use it to post
    Thank you

3. knoppix

knoppix Chieftain

Dude!! Thanks!!! It works!!! =)

Civ2 On Windows 7, RLZ! =)

4. ltarmstrong3

ltarmstrong3 Chieftain

If anyone is still having trouble getting civ 1 & civ 2 running in windows 7 then try this website:
    http://www.classicgamingpresents.co...lection-classic-games-windows-vista-p-33.html

They have both civ 1 & 2 packaged with a custom installer for modern operating systems that works. It was $7.70 USD for both civ 1 & civ 2 with their installer but works 100% in one effortless install and is worth every penny. Also you can feel safe buying from them as they accept Paypal as a method of payment.

5. HangingChadDad

HangingChadDad Chieftain

That link is broken for me.. just letting you know.. did it work? did you test it?

hmm.. I have tried it various times.. sometimes it works, sometimes not.. bit of luck I guess

6. geofelt

geofelt Chieftain

@Ltarmstrong3:

Looking at the web site, I can't figure out two things:
    1) Is this a way to get 16 bit civ 2.42 to run on a 64 bit OS?
    2) Does this fix the music stoppage problem when civ 2.42 is running on 32 bit vista or W7, and not on XP?

7. archita

archita Chieftain

8. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Never hear of an Italian Patch, but perhaps others have.

Did you looked at one of the top threads in this section (technical support). Don't know which windows version you use but if you use Vista or Windows 7 and 64 bit then the problem may be there.

9. archita

archita Chieftain

yes, i have problems with Win7 64bit :(

i have taken civ2 by classicgames and it runs well, but i wish have it with italian language, :(

a italian conversion of civ2 compatible win 7 64bit is possible?

10. cywilizator

cywilizator Chieftain

Can you insert this patch link? I can't stand waiting to play civ2 on Win7 64bit:)

11. cywilizator

cywilizator Chieftain

Hi.
    I had the same problem. There was need to download patch file. In my case the file is designed for XP 64 bit but works fine in Win 7 64 bit too (Civ2XP64Patcher.exe)
    I have seen this file somewhere on this forum:).
    You have to run this file, point Civ2.exe source path and patch it. After run Ciwilization 2 with Win XP SP3 compatibility mode.
    http://pages.videotron.ca/masterx/civ2xp64patcher.zip

12. Crono

Crono Chieftain

So, I had a problem with Civ II where as soon as I gave a command to my first settler to build a city, it would crash (Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium).

I downloaded the patch from MastermindX (here on this forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=193215)

And now the game works great! After an hour or so, the background music started to skip, but sound effects work fine. (It had been so long I forgot how good the music was!)

Anyway, I can finally enjoy one of the best game ever made on Win 7.

(My Civ 2 was installed from the disc that came in the Civilization Chronicles box set, and I applied this patch to MGE. I haven't tried it on TOT, but it supposedly works fine there too.)

13. Crono

Crono Chieftain

Ok, so nothing happened when I saved. So of course, there was no save to load. After moving the directory around as stated above, the issue persisted. However, after switching the compatibility mode from win 95 to win xp sp3, I could save the game. BUT, when I load the save, the game crashes..... :confused: I'm stumped at this point.

edit: sorry for double post. Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled Civ Chronicles (where my Civ II MGE is from) and that didn't help. I also ran the latest update for MGE. Now the game doesn't even play, let alone save. :cringe:

I hate windows 7.

EDIT: I changed the filepath for Civilzation II to be in "program files" instead of "program flies (x86)". Then I used Mastermind's patch. Now it plays fine (no compatibility), loads, saves, autosaves, never crashes. BUT, the music skips after a while, and the heralds, council, intro, and wonder movies are just a black space. At least it plays. :)

14. tluger

tluger Chieftain

Thanks man you know your stuff it works finally!!)) Thanks alot:)):D

15. Tody

Tody Chieftain

I had a really cool game, pretty advanced (my spaceship landed but I love to play till whole map is mine) and I was so afraid I've lost it. The patch worked perfectly, I have no problems with the game whatsoever :)

16. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Patch not working for me. :(

17. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Chieftain

18. nstync

nstync Chieftain

I have installed Civ 2 and the patch, but I can't run the program, even in compatibility mode. Any suggestions??

19. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

You could play by using Windows XP Mode or Virtual PC.
    Here's the link from Microsoft.

20. Tommyknocker45

Tommyknocker45 Chieftain

I would like to add my wholehearted thank you as well. I was seriously considering creating a dual boot system just so I can play Civ II as well. You ingenuity and easy to follow instructions made it so easy to forego that solution and now just play it on my new Windows 7 system. Thank you so very, very much gurus!!!