Civ 3 Essencial mods ?

black_rider

Chieftain
Hi all!

I just started to play Civ 3, and I must admit, its very good !
I have question for you all, is there any community patch, or essential mod for civ 3 ? For example like Vox Populi for Civ 5 or BUG and BAT mod for Civ 4 ?

There isnt really anything absolutely "essential". Most mods are for extra depth and different experiences I'd say. There are a few community exes that provide some extra features, but they are not necessary and were made for specific situations. However, the latest patched exe C3X here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sub-bug-fix-and-other-adventures-in-exe-modding.666881/ does provide some helpful features you might enjoy like stack bombard, disorder warnings, stack worker buttons, and better AI armies. A few of these can reduce some of the micro in the epic game.

Graphics mods!

I'm not a huge fan of the Firaxis-supplied terrain-art, especially the Jungle (which is sometimes difficult to distinguish from Forests), so I would recommend one of the following:

@Sn00py's (greener) terrain (several different variants included with a Civ3Complete installation — or DL it from CivFanatics)
@warpstorm's watercolour terrain is pretty stylish (again, included with Complete; I installed that one into my Sengoku Conquest folder)
@Ares de Borg's more realistically textured terrain is also very pretty

I found the Firaxis Cultural borders difficult to make out on some terrains: I'm using @Corn's borders instead (although I now can't find them in the downloads-database: the .pcx files are not associated with that username). The Firaxis rails are also quite ugly: I use @Pounder's(?) thin rails (he also made some nicer Marsh terrain).

And for easier recognition of citizen moods in my cities (and on the F1 screen), I use @Puppeteer's Popheads mod (just the basic one, without the nationality flags).

As for actual (epic-game) Mods and Scenarios, there are loads. Here are a few of the best that I've played:

@Yoda Power's Giant Earth map (map only)
@Civinator's CCM (and also RARR) epic-game mod
@AnthonyBoscia's WorldWide epic-game mod
@player1 fanatic's Patch Suggestions tweak-mod (.biq-only, rebalance of the basic Conquests game)
@Vuldacon's Escape from Zombie Island scenarios
@Plotinus' The Desert & The Mountain, and The Rood + The Dragon historical scenarios (central Africa and Dark Age Britain, respectively)
@Meteor Man's Star Wars The Mod Awakens
@WildWeazel's Lord of the Mods (LotR mod)
@Nathiri's Thelen Epres Mrel Nelthelrinae fantasy mod
@haluu's Tides of Crimson fantasy mod
@KingArthur's SuperCiv superhero mod

By clicking on a username above, you will be taken to the respective CFC-profile pages, where you can use the 'Downloads' tab to see their contributions to Civ(3)-modding.

Or you can have a look in the "Civ3 Creation & Customization" forum, "Completed Mods/ Scenarios" subfora, to see if anything catches your eye.

Last edited:
Graphics mods!

I'm not a huge fan of the Firaxis-supplied terrain-art, especially the Jungle (which is sometimes difficult to distinguish from Forests), so I would recommend one of the following:

@Sn00py's (greener) terrain (several different variants included with a Civ3Complete installation — or DL it from CivFanatics)
@warpstorm's watercolour terrain is pretty stylish (again, included with Complete; I installed that one into my Sengoku Conquest folder)
@Ares de Borg's more realistically textured terrain is also very pretty

I found the Firaxis Cultural borders difficult to make out on some terrains: I'm using @Corn's borders instead (although I now can't find them in the downloads-database: the .pcx files are not associated with that username). The Firaxis rails are also quite ugly: I use @Pounder's(?) thin rails (he also made some nicer Marsh terrain).

And for easier recognition of citizen moods in my cities (and on the F1 screen), I use @Puppeteer's Popheads mod (just the basic one, without the nationality flags).

As for actual (epic-game) Mods and Scenarios, there are loads. Here are a few of the best that I've played:

@Yoda Power's Giant Earth map (map only)
@Civinator's CCM (and also RARR) epic-game mod
@AnthonyBoscia's WorldWide epic-game mod
@player1 fanatic's Patch Suggestions tweak-mod (.biq-only, rebalance of the basic Conquests game)
@Vuldacon's Escape from Zombie Island scenarios
@Plotinus' The Desert & The Mountain, and The Rood + The Dragon historical scenarios (central Africa and Dark Age Britain, respectively)
@Meteor Man's Star Wars The Mod Awakens
@WildWeazel's Lord of the Mods (LotR mod)
@Nathiri's Thelen Epres Mrel Nelthelrinae fantasy mod
@haluu's Tides of Crimson fantasy mod
@KingArthur's SuperCiv superhero mod

By clicking on a username above, you will be taken to the respective CFC-profile pages, where you can use the 'Downloads' tab to see their contributions to Civ(3)-modding.

Or you can have a look in the "Civ3 Creation & Customization" forum, "Completed Mods/ Scenarios" subfora, to see if anything catches your eye.

Dear God, I could spend the next ten years exploring all that and not make my way through all those! Yes, please. :)

I would also highly recommend Sn00py's, Warpstorm's watercolor, and Ares de Borg's terrain. Ares' terrain has the Volcano and Marsh that the other two do not have. I use all three.

Then there are the resource modpacks. I like to use Pounder's Resource File. You can really expand the resources available with it.

Vuldacon added some resources to the Pounder file for me but I would hesitate to post it without his permission.

Strictly speaking no mod is essential. You can play Civ3 without mods and it is fine. It i had to name one mod, and the term essential implies little or no more than one, than it it would C3X.

None are essential. I would recommend looking into utility programs instead. CrpMapStat, part of the CrpSuite, can be especially nice for trading purposes and to see if a city would riot on the next turn if you didn't change anything.

The closest I would come to saying that a mod is essential is TETurkhan's Test of Time mod for Play the World. I have found that this inspired me to mod the game as it showed what could be done.

Top Bottom