Civ 3 GOTM#4 *Spoiler* talks

Well, my GOTM is winding down. I think I will be able to finish. It will not be a glorius finish. I think the best I can hope for is a histograph win. I will take pride in the fact that it is my first Emporer level game finished.

I'll share my updates, although they won't be written as well as Lucky's. By the way Lucky, I'm glad to see that somebody else is still playing their game too.

I eventually took the Zulu island and eliminated their civilization. During the battles I earned a Great Leader. He was used to rush a Forbidden Palace in my newly created town on that island. At the same time, a palace was being worked on in Paris. When both projects were completed, those regions became very productive! WELL WORTH IT!

While I was wiping out the Zulus, Persia wiped out the Aztecs. This has left India, Persia & England.

I've kept my science rate at zero, and use my large cash flow to buy my techs. I think this is quicker than researching them???

I am currently building my army. The English Army is larger than India's, but about equal to Persia...so says my advisor.

I am currently behind Persia in the histograph. I hope there is enough time to catch them. Will there be more war? Time will tell.

Thanks Lucky for the info on the submission date.

I played about 50 turns of peace last night, aiming for a diplomactic victory but, it turned out in a stalemate, me & india voting for ourselves and Persia abstaining as india & I were at war with them previously.

At the Electricity stage I had about a 3 tech lead, and even with building the Theory of Evolution, the AI both managed to catch up by the start of the Modern Age, as we've discovered new resources, they seem to appear on their islands as well as mine, so I'll have my work cut out for me to get a spaceship victory.

Then a few turns before i stopped playing last night Persia marched 20 knights & cavalry into my outposts on their island and declared war, I sighed because war REALLY slows down the game, and i'll be pushing to finish as it is. So after declaring war and not attacking me yet, I rolled my tanks I had been massing on their island over the top of their whiny mounted units, (After 20 battles i got 1 upgrade to elite???)

So i'm thinking maybe a quick foray into Persian territory and I might be able to pull off a domination victory. It won't be that good of a score in early 1800AD but it'll be finished in time :)

I've made it to 1340AD and have found everybody. I've kicked the French off my island and am pretty even in tech with everybody else (the Persians seem a little ahead). I've just been informed by my wife that Friday night and Saturday are booked, so I'm about to go postal on the world. It's swordsman, knights and caravels until a domination victory or an out of time no entry.!!:eek:

Well i spent all of Saturday playing. Razed about 6 Persian cities in the war and founded 10 odd cities of mine in their place. Added all the captured workers into my cities and rushed temples aqueducts & marketplaces in all the cities to maximise score.

After 20 turns or so Persians agreed to peace for a couple of island cities. Then i milked the game to 1994 (so boring [:)]) until i got a cultural victory. Had to spend about 15,000 gold sabotaging Indias production of the spaceship to avoid losing, because i hadn't attacked them all game.

Then! :( I discovered i didn't have a 0AD savegame @!#$@#%#$ i submitted anyway and am hoping for the best

Don't worry Trash. A lot op people seem to forget to save at that point. That's why it's not a must anymore.

I´m finished! :cool:
After playing yesterday and today almost nonstop I have finally reached a point where I decided to launch my spaceship!
I have just submitted my game to Matrix, should still be in time! Hopefully! :p

And now finishing my story!
I´ll probably cut the last 4 centuries shorter, I´m somewhat exhausted right now! :lol:

The Years of Peace
After we defeated the Persian navy and India even invaded their continent we made peace and after a while all settled down. We could put our efforts to improving the terrain and making the cities prosper again. After we made a lucrative deal with both other Civs we experienced long years of peace until the 21st century. :cool:
The greatness of the English Empire made it possible to gain a decent science lead, we entered the Modern Age way before the other Civs and did not trade them any technologies. Some Great Projects helped in reaching this lead. So it was decided to undertake the greatest project of all, we started to build an interstellar spaceship. This was to be the final triumph of our impressive history!

The Spaceship
Thanks to our science lead and our overwhelming production rate we could quickly research needed technologies and almost instantly build the discovered parts of the SS. Our SS was already half done when the Indians entered the race to the stars. They were the only ones to also have a source of Aluminium.
It was decided to closely watch their progress and take measures accordingly. The English spy network undertook great risks but was successful to sabotage some of the more expensive parts. :p
In the meantime most cities finished their expansion and growth and switched to either some new military units or wealth.
Then the Persians finished building the Manhattan Project while only one SS part remained to be built. So we switched all productive cities to stockpiling ICBMs and some tactical nukes for our subs. A defensive shield was also installed because the AI civs also built some ICBMs. :nuke:
So the years passed, the English people became even happier and all was well.
Until the dawn of the 21st century!

The Final Years
Suddenly the Indians decided to launch a surprise attack against us!
US, the greatest empire this world has ever seen, how could they dare? :mad:
Well, of course their attack wasn´t all too well planned and carried out. Most invasion forces were sunk before they even saw a shoreline and those who did reach our territory were quickly overrun by our veteran, technologically advanced troops. It seems they really thought they could harm our Mech. Inf, Modern Armor and Jet Fighters with their puny cavallery, riflemen and oudated bombers. :crazyeyes
The 1st and 2nd English Carrier Group quickly reached their main island supported by many other navy ships. And they laid waste to their homeland, first most of they strategic resources were cut off and then all routes to their capital followed. Our stealth units were far too much for their defense, although we did lose some to their jetfighters.
And so they quickly recognized their vain attempt and sued for peace. But before they could do that the Persians entered the war, too. Soon peace, a MPP and an alliance against the Persians was formed. These two civs are real traitors. We had MPPs with them before they attacked and with each other, too, before our alliance. :rolleyes:
So the same tactic was used against the Persians, their navy was also no real match against us. Only our Polar island in the north was invaded several times, but they were repelled. At their third try, after we already cut the Persian capital off, only one sub was available to stop their force. So we were forced (;)) to use a tactical nuke. :nuke:
After this event they were suddenly very willing to sue for peace, but our alliance with the Indians wasn´t over yet.
So we had to wait and experience the results of war weariness in all outer reaches of our Empire. Even though we were the ones to be attacked these ungrateful citizen rioted in several cities and even destroyed some improvements. Now the eagerness to make peace was on our side, too.
And finally, shortly after peace and order was restored, we finished the last part of our spaceship.

In the year 2025AD the great English Empire triumphed over the world and all other leaders recognized our final victory when the spaceship took off to explore other worlds, reach new frontiers and fulfill the dreams of countless generations of humanity!
:D

Only just finished this game and submitted minutes ago. Had a complete hard drive failure and only just installed my new one 2 days ago. Made for a fast and furious attempt at playing the game but i got there. Not one of my better efforts though and I doubt if it will be in the top 10, I dont reccomend playing a full game with no sleep.
Good Luck All!! :)

Some final words and thoughts about this game!

First of all I decided to pick the game up again in 2025AD today and have some fun.
I had already built 33 ICBMs, both AI had 31 cities together.
So I started the greatest nuclear attack this planet has seen. :nuke: :lol: :nuke:
And soon every AI city was devastated. What a glorious sight! :cool:
I ended the turn without moving any of my units, with a better attack plan I would control all of the world, although pollution might pose a small ;) problem.
But as noted before I didn´t, I wanted to see the reaction of the AI.
And surely the Indians, who had 4 ICBMs attacked me with them.
But not my capital or any other vital city, NO, some unproductive city near the Persian border! :rolleyes:
And soon my SDI defense kicked into action and shot all 4 (!) down. :die!:
The animation is quite cool but much better is the notice which reads that the AI ICBM has been shot down by our superior SDI. :goodjob:
That was somehow quite fun!

As a summary of what I learned for playing with 1.17f:
No pop-rushing, do not use it unless really needed. Once or twice per city is ok but more than 5 times will throw you back more than you gain!
Use overwhelming force. Same as before, do not mount an invasion without a really strong military. And horsemen are almost useless against cities now as they don´t retreat every time, use them for flanking instead!
Great Leaders seem to be more common now, but you won´t get them in single fights or small skirmishes. Start a real war!
Armies are still pretty useless, they seem to take more hits than normal. Use them to quell rebellions and build the Heroic Epic! But they are great defenders!
Getting many wonders really helps, especially on Emperor.
Build up a formidable navy early, at least on this kind of map. It really helped me keep the Zulu and Persians, Indians off my islands. Although the battle odds are worse than on land I would always prefer to beat them on the ocean than to drive stacks of units back into the sea!
Trade much but not your own techs, buy others instead. Try to keep the AIs in war with each other to minimize their tech trading!
The AI is really impertinent with the new trading system, somehow I don´t understand it. When I traded them some luxuries they were giving me 10gold/turn each. But for their only luxuries I had to pay all my lux., a few resources and 30 gold/turn. This is crazy! :crazyeyes
Do not underestimate the AI. The Indians in this game had the worsest island of all, no hills or mountains to increase production and very few resources. But even I had an 5-8 advances science lead in the Modern Age I had to sabotage their SS production to yield me the final years of score increasement!
Do NOT trust the AI! It is the most unfaithful AI ever, attack you without warning, even with several trades, MPPs and a gracious attitude towards you! :mad:

Well, that´s it, let´s see if I can find the time for the next GOTM!

I'm done with the results. :D Just waiting for one person who finished on time but got problems with his computer...

But I know who won! :groucho:
And who didn't. :groucho:

oooo... with all these normally high scoring players getting 'less than spectacular results' maybe i can get in the top10 with my 1080AD win. prob not though as i only had about 20 points of culture from my evil barbaric english.

hey, i'm from scotland. i had to play them that way. :rolleyes:

-ChumChum
:cool:

Come-on Matrix, it's not fair teasing us like this :)

I've been checking the site every 30 mins or so from work to see if the results are up yet :)

Originally posted by Lucky

In the year 2025AD the great English Empire triumphed over the world and all other leaders recognized our final victory when the spaceship took off to explore other worlds, reach new frontiers and fulfill the dreams of countless generations of humanity!
:D [/B]

nice history lucky :) ;)

I don't beleive my game is gonna count as an "official" game :cry: but I wanted to share my experiances anyway, in case anyones still interested.

This was my first real attempt at the Emperor level and the first time I played using patch 1.17f. At first I was concerned that using the new patch would give me an unfair advantage. But after a short time I discovered just how wrong I was. The increased penelties for pop rushing and the speed of the AI tech trading made for a much more challenging game. :goodjob:

In the begining it was clear that I would have to conquer the French to have any success. They were quite antaganistical from the get go and controlled the most productive terratory on the continent. After a very brief and pointless war, the French agreed to peace, and I began settling my way south. About halfway down the Southern penninsula, next to the Deer resources, I founded a city(1475BC) and began building the Forb. Palace. About that same time I sent a settler to the choke point with the intention of building a city there that would fuction as both Fort and Canal. But when I got there I couldn't pass up the oppurtunity to settle deeper in French terratory and thus limit their growth.

I continued settling the Southern regions, but before I could completley secure the area the French landed a settler. Not wanting to share my limited terratory I declared war and thus began a long and expensive war. The French immediatly retaliated, taking out my North mostern city and assailing my chokehold troops. It was at this time that I discovered that the pop rushing strategy was not effective with the new patch. Oops. To recover, I pillaged the road connecting my Southern cities so I could build the cheaper warriors. Then I set my commerce level to 90% tax with the intention of upgrading my warriors to swordsman. I was building the Great Library at the time and was hoping that would pick up the science defeceit.

With the Forb. Palace being so far from completion and the strength of the French military, I thought I might well face my first loss. My choke hold troops were lost as quickly as the reinforcements arrived, and it wasn't long before they had retreated to the penninsula's last stand. I had been attempting to strike peace with the French. But they wanted Literature, a city, all of my treasury and most all of my per turn commerce. I was reluctant to give them Literature, as I didn't want them to build the Great Library before I could complete it. Fortunatly as the French troops were assailing my last stand troops, they agreed to peace in 210BC for 52g and 6g/turn. Whew... That was a close one.

The years passed, and finally the city which the French built halfway down the chokehold had been irrigated. I sent two workers to tap into their irrigation. My workers completed the task the turn after that French city expanded it's borders. The French demended that I move my units, I complied. That same turn(10BC) I built the Great Library. To attempt to improve my relations with the French I traded them Literature for a measly few coins and a worthless terratory map. That would turn out to be a mistake as the French, right after the trade, declared war. Arghhh...

This time I was much better prepared, though I was not yet ready to do battle. I held them off for many turns, and then finally in 300AD I took the French penninsula city and they agreed to peace. I had gained a leader in the battle and decided to use it to rush build a Palace in Paris once I captured it. In 320AD my Forb. Palace was finally built and I was a few turns away from learning Monarchy. Things were looking up. Wawhooo....

The years passed, my Nation was ruled by a Monarchy, barracks had been built, and a legion of Swordsman were being trained for the eventual assault on France. Then in 680AD the Zulu declared war on the French. In 700AD I followed suit, taking the first of two choke hold fortresses. It took a few turns but I took the second fortress and then sacked the South Eastern French city. A few turns after that I razed Orleans, and then founded my own city, capturing the wine resources. About this time the Zulu had captured one of the Northern cities, and the French had begun their decline. Paris fell after a three turn assault and I captured Hanging Gardens, The Oracle, and Sun Tzu's. Hehaaaw. To attempt to prevent revolt, I changed my commerce level to like 50% entertainment, and I garrisioned two troops for every french citizen. It was a big risk, and slowed down my assault, but I needed to quell the ressistance so I could rush build the Palace. Before the ressitance was quelled I was able to capture the coastal city South of Paris along with The Great Lighthouse.

Finally after many anxious turns, the Paris ressistance had been quelled, and I relocated the Palace. Paris was mine for keeps now. I suffered some corruption in my original capital and in the town near the iron resource, but I think it was a wise trade off. I could now redeploy the garrision troops(more than two dozen) and continue the assault. The French cities fell one by one, and in 1080AD I had conquered all of the mainland. The French were no longer a threat so I agreed to peace for two island cities and 80g. This is when I discovered another unpleasentry of the new patch. The new cities had no garrision. Cheeez(don't you hate undocumented changes/surprises).

The years passed and I focused my Nations energy on our Science infrastructure. Putting everything into the pursuit of new technologies. In 1260, the Zulus beat me to Copernicus by a measly four turns. Bumer. However, in 1350 I traded the Zulu some Wines for Navigation, Printing Press and 5g/turn. I also got 11g/turn and the balance of their treasury for Silk. About that time I decided to finish off the French, and conquered them in 1375, the same year I learned Magnetism. After gaining the Saltpeter resource I began building a fleet of Man of Wars and regiments of Calvary for an assault on the Zulu. In 1445 I invaded the Zulu, and used a Man of War to sink a Galley. And thus began the Zulu wars and my Civilization entered into a Golden Age. The first two cities were quite tough, but after that they fell easily. Although, I had a alot of trouble with reversions. Then in 1510 I conquered the last of the Zulu cities. During the wars I had gained my second great leader and decided to save him for rushing the Theory of Evolution. And once again my Civilization entered into the pursuit of science.

More to follow soon....

Top Bottom