[C3C] Civ 3 on Steam Deck Seems to Work Now (knock on wood).

B-29_Bomber

Warlord
For my fellow Steam Deck homies who also play Civ3 (Civ3 is the best Civ!), it seems that the issue that I have been dealing with these past few months has been solved (somehow; it seems like one of those issues that decided to randomly disappear after awhile maybe to show up later).

That issue was that within the first turn the terrain would disappear and turn black leaving only unit sprites and the city name tag.

So rejoice! It seems Civ3 is at least playable!

Can you see exactly which version of Proton is used, and if there are any parameters used to launch it? Those should be shown in the game properties from the steam library.

Unfortunately one of the latest updates to SteamOS seems to have re-broken Civ3...

So it goes.
And thus it comes again... (knocks on wood, also giggity).

Or perhaps it never went away to begin with? It seems that SteamOS cleared my Proton Settings for Civ 3... I rock Civ 3 with Proton version 5.0-10 and it seems to work (i.e. the terrain doesn't seem to go immediately black once you close the initial pop-up window).

That workaround does not fix the lines on the diplomacy screen. I suggest installing @Flintlock 's C3X (this can be done by copying C3X into a subfolder created in your Conquests folder, then adding install.bat as a non-steam game and running it via proton). This contains a feature which fixes the black screen and the diplomacy lines and you don't need an old proton version to run it, it works with latest. Still need to disable the sound though.

Top Bottom