Civ 3 PTW was a complete waste of money to me....

Grasshopper

Chieftain
So we go out and buy 2 copies of Civ 3 MP so we can respark our interest in the game and neither one of us can get past the bloody launch for multiplayer. Yes, I've read and implemented all the crappy firewall workarounds (which should never be as in-depth as it is) and dicovered that my ISP reserves the port that this game uses?! So, now what?! I would like to make it clear that the posted workarounds on this site are great and well appreciated but it's extremely frustrating to go through all this trouble and get nowhere. This is the *only* multiplayer game that I have had *any* trouble with. If I could bill the company that created this *brilliant* multiplayer interface for my time, they would owe me about $1500 not including the cost of the two games. :mad: I also see others on this board with similar problems that have received no satisfaction on getting the problem solved. Just ignored by the company that is supposed to help with these problems is all. I would like to add at this point, thanks to all the people around here that *do* try to help but can only do so much. Your input and attempt at trying to help the poor victims is *very* much appreciated. A word of warning to any of you out there thinking about picking up PTW, make sure the port this game uses is restriction free *before* buying it!

Shame on you Fireaxis for having the nerve to charge full price for a multiplayer *add-on* that has an interface this difficult at a time when that function is easier than it ever has been to implement. Try calling Bioware and ask them how it's done!

A frustrated and possible ex-customer.

Well....I bought PTW to multiplay and I do agree that the original Civ 3 was an excellent game but I believe when a company advertises a critical feature, that they should do whatever it takes to satisfy those that bought the game specifically for that feature. I looked at what they added to PTW in the way of new things and they looked good. However, I really am only interested in MPing with the game at this point. I spent many hours with the original playing with only the AI, I'm ready for the human factor now and not just exploiting the weaknesses of a certain AI pattern.

Anyway, I'm more pointing out the lack of support for these problems and complete company silence on the issues, not flaming the game as it stands. Hope that clears it up a bit.

There is no doubt that Firax's methods have been less than customre friendly.

From releasing Civ3without MP, to taking a year to get it out, to charging full game price for an add-on, it seems that Firaxis has found a way to turn an outstanding game into a dissappointing experience.

Love the game. Hate Firaxis.

Don't blame Firaxis, blame Infogratari. They made Sid & Co. rush the product.

I know how you feel, Grasshopper. I have the same problem, though my PTW does work on a LAN, but not through internet while I have cable internet, all ports are open and I removed my firewall. Makes no sense. :confused: All other sorts and kinds of games do work.

Luckily I found my satisfaction in PBEM. :) And the few extras it has.

But I fully agree with CivCube. And now I read that Sid Meier signed a long term agreement with Atari. I hope that means that Sid sorted it out with Atari.

By the way, I'm sure they learned from this mistake and won't let it happen with Conquests. :) (For those who are interested.)

By the way 2, aren't you PaleHorse76/munzy's wife, Grasshopper? :p Or is your nickname coincidentally equal to hers?

Perhaps they should've listed the required ports on the outside of the box so you know what you'd need before buying. "System requirements for multiplayer include access to the internet via the following ports..."

Hopefully you'll find enjoyment in the single player features (significant) and the other methods of playing multiplayer - PBEM or LAN. To be quite honest, most multiplayer sessions online are very short so you don't really get to dig into the game. PBEM offers a better opportunity to take advantage of all PTW has to offer.

Short? Uhm....no, last one I had was short (1 hour limit) but the one before took 6.5 hours and still isn't over, for real civ fanatics I guess! :D

And I do agree in part, double price for "almost" (not really I know) the same game is not a fair deal.

Uhm....triple price I think, what about Conquer?

I haven't even tried a LAN game, although I assume that if it works on matrix's LAN, it'd work on this LAN as well :p
I like pbem a lot. It's really worth a try. Hotseat is supposed to work as well.
Probably, somewhere in the future (with civ:conquests :rolleyes: ) firaxis'll come up with a patch that'll make the other crap work as well.

I agree I got tired of the AI, so I bought PTW to get in on some multiplayer. I've never gotten it to work once. I've read all the fixes post here but none have helped my situation. When it gets to launching point it just crashes and exits out of the program. Ah well, a couple new civs is cool I guess (though not worth 20 bucks).

Perhaps they should've listed the required ports on the outside of the box so you know what you'd need before buying. "System requirements for multiplayer include access to the internet via the following ports..."

I agree that there needs to be some way for customers to know if the ports can be opened on their system, but would this actually help? I bet noone here (myself included, being an experienced SysAdmin and netowrking pro) really know what ports are open until it's too late. Everyone tends to learn that, for example, the IRC ports are blocked only after a game tries to use them.

Just a thought. I was thinking that writing a small app that tests to see if the required ports are open would be helpful, but that would only be downloaded after it's too late, I fear.

well mulitplayer is really the only reason to buy the game, I'm not a modding expert but everything in regular civ Probably could be modded to become very close to the sp ptw. I know it is probably to late for the disapointed, but if you return the game in 30 days you can tell them you didn't agree to the license agreement and they have to give you your money back(ya i'm so pathetic i acctually read the fine print)

Well, that's certainly good- we need someone to read the EULA (I sure know I don't want to be the one doing it). :)

I still think that displaying the ports isn't entirely useful since most people would figure out wether their ports are open within the first 30 days.

Top Bottom