Civ 4 Terrain: Civ 1

chrissicom said:
Civ I doesn't even work on my new computers anymore, this rocks :D

I think there's a section on this site somewhere about that. I run mine on an XP system and have to use 1-2-1 options (i.e. vga, system sounds, keyboard/mouse) to get it to run right. You might also look at dosbox. I find dosbox can be a little slow sometimes though. I never did like the isometric view in 2 & 3.

That is so funny!

I won't lie; I'm not gonna be playing this lots (or at all), but I like knowing I could if I wanted to :)

i wrote a retrospective article for 1up about civ 1 back in june, and to really get a feel for it, i played the game again. And was in the office for 6 hours after the day ended. Civ 1 still has the pull that it always has had, even in this modern age =)

I agree totally. Despite the fact that I never enjoyed the isometric views in civs 2 and 3, even after I got civ 4 (which totally rocks), I still find myself popping in a game of civ 1 now and then.

Id forgotten how hideous CivI gfx were! (guess it makes sense, considering the time...)

Arithmomaniac said:
Does this take up significantly less resources?
No. The files are a similar size to the original. The dimentions of the terrain images is actually the same as the ones used in the blue marble mod.

Eastian said:
This is totally awesome! Possibly the most creative mod ever! Now if someone would mod the Civ1 units...
:hammer:

Shivam said:
i wrote a retrospective article for 1up about civ 1 back in june, and to really get a feel for it, i played the game again. And was in the office for 6 hours after the day ended. Civ 1 still has the pull that it always has had, even in this modern age =)
Absolutely. You know why? Because it goes so fast!! For every new version of civ, moving units and doing stuff takes so much time you never really get in the rhythm (or trance :mischief:), giving you way too much time to realise you should actually quit and go to bed or do something useful. Plus what I always felt was when I saw unspoilt nature it was asking to be cultivated. ;)

Arithmomaniac said:
Does this take up significantly less resources?
If all the rest (units, cities, forests, mountains) were in 2D it would!

Perhaps we should all combine forces and make a complete Civ1-mod! :yeah:

If you guys do make a full civ 1 mod for civ 4 I would be sooo happy. Becuase my pc is below the minimum requirements and it runs slooooooow. I'm sure a lot of other people would use it too.

mike

Hmm a way to do it would be to change the zoomed out veiw, so the command bar stays when the view is zoomed out. And also so that the domestic and military and resources are all shown together as boxes (they can be shown seperatly but not together via buttons by the minimap).

Or the square military/domestic/resource pictures that are shown when you zoom out and go show military/domestic/resource could be used as unit/resource graphics!

Damn.. apologies for the necro but sadly the download for this doesn't work anymore and @flobi has been away from CFC for a while now. Anyone still have a copy of it somewhere? I have large file upload access to CFC and have been rescuing lots of old long lost mods around the place so will do the same with this one if it resurfaces.

I did actually manage to find another site that hosted it as the old gamespy Civ downloads area had a copy however that download sadly failed too! It did have a picture though..

Why try? Well a lot of the old mod rescues I'm doing are also for a Civ video series I'm making and I also recently worked on a Civ1 graphics mod for Civ2 . I will be doing a video on that and had the thought that I should look to see if there were Civ1 mods for later Civ games I could mention and sure enough there are! Problem is they're all missing now days lol.

Last edited:
SCORE!! I asked around a bunch of places and sure enough someone still had a copy of Flobi's Civ1 terrain graphics for Civ4 mod. Many thanks to GeneralKilCavalry! I've attached the file to this post! :)

Also managed to find several Civ1 mod projects for Civ3 too although half of them are missing sadly but I'll try to rescue them too!
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civ1-mod.37121/#post-16098224

Attachments

• civ4_terrain_civ1.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
Top Bottom