1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 4 Terrain: Civ 1

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by flobi, Nov 22, 2005.

1. flobi

flobi Rewrite Civilization

I think there's a section on this site somewhere about that. I run mine on an XP system and have to use 1-2-1 options (i.e. vga, system sounds, keyboard/mouse) to get it to run right. You might also look at dosbox. I find dosbox can be a little slow sometimes though. I never did like the isometric view in 2 & 3.

2. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

That is so funny!

I won't lie; I'm not gonna be playing this lots (or at all), but I like knowing I could if I wanted to :)

3. Shivam

Shivam Chieftain

i wrote a retrospective article for 1up about civ 1 back in june, and to really get a feel for it, i played the game again. And was in the office for 6 hours after the day ended. Civ 1 still has the pull that it always has had, even in this modern age =)

4. flobi

I agree totally. Despite the fact that I never enjoyed the isometric views in civs 2 and 3, even after I got civ 4 (which totally rocks), I still find myself popping in a game of civ 1 now and then.

5. the100thballoon

the100thballoon Emperor

Id forgotten how hideous CivI gfx were! (guess it makes sense, considering the time...)

6. Kahkonen

Kahkonen Warlord

Nothing to add!

7. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

Hah!

Nod to the old skool! I like it!

:)

8. Arithmomaniac

Arithmomaniac Chieftain

Does this take up significantly less resources?

9. flobi

No. The files are a similar size to the original. The dimentions of the terrain images is actually the same as the ones used in the blue marble mod.

10. Matrix

Matrix CFC Dinosaur Retired Moderator

:hammer:

Absolutely. You know why? Because it goes so fast!! For every new version of civ, moving units and doing stuff takes so much time you never really get in the rhythm (or trance :mischief:), giving you way too much time to realise you should actually quit and go to bed or do something useful. Plus what I always felt was when I saw unspoilt nature it was asking to be cultivated. ;)

If all the rest (units, cities, forests, mountains) were in 2D it would!

Perhaps we should all combine forces and make a complete Civ1-mod! :yeah:

11. dc82

dc82 Prince

Now with Shaka back - can anyone make this Warlords friendly?

12. wassname

wassname Chieftain

If you guys do make a full civ 1 mod for civ 4 I would be sooo happy. Becuase my pc is below the minimum requirements and it runs slooooooow. I'm sure a lot of other people would use it too.

mike

13. wassname

wassname Chieftain

Hmm a way to do it would be to change the zoomed out veiw, so the command bar stays when the view is zoomed out. And also so that the domestic and military and resources are all shown together as boxes (they can be shown seperatly but not together via buttons by the minimap).

Or the square military/domestic/resource pictures that are shown when you zoom out and go show military/domestic/resource could be used as unit/resource graphics!