Civ 5 Beauty Contest: The men this time!

Beauty Contest

• Alexander

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • Ahmad al-Mansur

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Ashurbanipal

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Askia

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Atilla

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Augustus

• Shaka

Votes: 16 7.6%
  • Casmir

• Darius

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • William

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Gaja Mada

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Pocatello

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Genghis Khan

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Gustavus Adolphus

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Halie Selassie

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Harald Bluetooth

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Harun al-Rashid

• Hiawatha

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Kamehameha

Votes: 20 9.5%
  • Montezuma

• Napoleon

• Ramesses

• Nobunaga Oda

• Pacal

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Sejong

• Total voters
I wonder how pretty Alex would be if he was rocking an ancient beard.

I wonder how pretty the beardos would be if they shaved.

Arshurbanipal wouldn't be very pretty, I often have issues trying not to stare at his weird hook-shaped nose as is.

I think people underestimate the amount of women who like beards. Sure, culturally people (and inevitably women) are conditioned to be turned off by them, but that doesn't say anything about biological attraction.

I think people underestimate the amount of women who like beards. Sure, culturally people (and inevitably women) are conditioned to be turned off by them, but that doesn't say anything about biological attraction.

I think the issue often si that badly kept beards are a turn off, but a lot of guys can pull of a bearsd (especially fi they are completely bald).

Wow! I'm surprised to see Alexander blowing away the competition like this. What is it about this guy that people like so much? (not rhetorical or snarky, really just curious...) :)

Wow! I'm surprised to see Alexander blowing away the competition like this. What is it about this guy that people like so much? (not rhetorical or snarky, really just curious...) :)
As another poster pointed out, he's every teenaged woman's wet dream. He's a true Prince Charming, in many respects, and his hair is faaabulous! Also, he was into men as well as women, perhaps more so than women, so he's a natural choice for any homosexual/bisexual man, seeing as no other man in Civ 5 was historically known to fornicate with other men, AFAIK.

Congratulations on 100 voters! :D

Probably Alex because he's young and in pretty good shape. He was only in his early twenties when he started his empire.

So, in order, I would say

1. Alex
2. Shaka
3. Kamehameha
4. Ashurbanipal
5. Hiawatha

Despite the preponderance of male leaders in Civ V, it's really slim pickings when it comes to attractive male leaders. Historically I suppose this makes sense since leaders (both male and female) usually aren't chosen for their beauty, though it's more common for a beautiful female to marry into a position of power (Theodora as an example). Also, most significant rulers were older (and wiser and experienced).

That being said, the only realistic option to me was Alexander, so there wasn't much of a choice. I actually like his stylized image more than his cartoony leader screen. He's good looking, but still isn't as aesthetically pleasing as contemporary male models. (For reference, he does look much better than he did in Civ IV and Civ III, when he appears much older than he ever lived to be!).

Kamehameha and Shaka have good physiques, but their faces aren't very pleasing to look at.

Most of the other male leaders range from average to ugly.

It's a lot better on the female side. My tops are Theodora (I also like her stylized image more), Dido, Elizabeth, and Catherine. Only Maria Theresa and maybe Boudicca are on the unpleasant side. However, it's not uncommon in the gaming industry (along with comics, etc.) for there to be plenty of stunning women, but very few stunning men.

For reference, the Civ portraits have come a LONG way from Civ IV and Civ III.

In Civ IV, most of the leaders appeared noticeably older and uglier:

Washington
Ramesses
Elizabeth
Napoleon
Alexander
Gandhi
Genghis Khan
Suleiman
Darius
Shaka
Montezuma (much older)

In all these cases, their Civ V appearance is much better. William also looks better because his Civ IV version looked to much like a stereotypical villain twirling his mustache.

The few cases where leaders looked better in Civ IV are:

Boudicca (she was hot in Civ IV, not so much in Civ V)
Catherine (younger and more fun in Civ IV)
Isabella (pretty in Civ IV, matronly in Civ V)
Bismarck (younger and thinner in Civ IV)
Augustus (best looking male leader in Civ IV, though Civ IV had even slimmer pickings than Civ V. Definitely looks better than his Civ V version).

Also special mention to Hatshepsut, who was great in Civ IV. Her makeup reminds me of Theodora in Civ V.

Finally you have Civ III, where most of the portraits were either too uncanny valley, or were racial caricatures reminiscent of past eras:

Pachacuti
Theodora
Isabella
Genghis Khan
Montezuma
Elizabeth
Bismarck
Alexander
Gandhi
Hiawatha
Catherine
Shaka
William

They all look far, far worse in Civ III.

Civ II and Civ I are so far back I can't even remember the leaders screens! ;)

Either Alexander or Hiawatha, I think. Kamehameha isn't bad looking either. Sejong and William are decent looking bookworms too.

As for Gajah Mada and Enrico Dandolo....HAHA.

Also, why is Washington not a choice? Perhaps some ladies would like his Bill Clinton voice.

Voted Alexander based on his in game appearance and due to his historic background of being Bisexual. Alexander was Great for both women and men.

See what I did there? :crazyeye:

As another poster pointed out, he's every teenaged woman's wet dream. He's a true Prince Charming, in many respects, and his hair is faaabulous! Also, he was into men as well as women, perhaps more so than women, so he's a natural choice for any homosexual/bisexual man, seeing as no other man in Civ 5 was historically known to fornicate with other men, AFAIK.

Voted Alexander based on his in game appearance and due to his historic background of being Bisexual. Alexander was Great for both women and men.

See what I did there? :crazyeye:

Facepalm.

As far as I know there are no records of Alexander's homosexual relationships. It wasn't uncommon or scoffed in his culture for a man to have male lovers, though.

As far as I know there are no records of Alexander's homosexual relationships. It wasn't uncommon or scoffed in his culture for a man to have male lovers, though.

Yea, male-male (sexual) relationships were common enough in ancient Greece. These relationships were usually between a young boy and a full-grown man and often even included males we would consider straight these days as it was sometimes a marker of status to be able to secure a beautiful boy. It was much less common to find two adult men in this type of relationship though but still fairly widespread. Sometimes these relationships were scoffed at but it usually wasn't because they were both males; it was because the relationship was seen as excessively indulgent and those involved as given too much to pleasure (as opposed to the more somber husband-wife relationship.)

Just to note, our concept of homosexuality/sexuality would be completely lost on ancient Greeks.

Top Bottom