Civ 5 Mac

Kolomboi

Chieftain
Ok I had a question about steam that I have not been able to find elsewhere. So as most of you know Civ 5 is coming out for OS X this sometime. I run both Windows 7 and OS X on my Mac and obviously use Windows 7 for playing Civ. However, it is a bit of a hassle rebooting the computer whenever I play Civ. When civ 5 for OS X comes out will I have to buy the mac version or can I just use my steam account and download the game on OSX?

Don't know yet. Civ IV uses Steam Play so it's possible Civ V will as well but I've read nothing to confirm this. The site where I read about the Civ V for Mac announcement also specifically pointed out that there was no mention of Steam in the press release.

I'm in the same situation but won't be purchasing a second version.

This is one area where Firaxis has really dropped the ball: Valve and Blizzard have made a Mac version the normal state of affairs now, and you are supposed to get it together with the PC version for no extra cost (StarCraft 2 is even on the same DVD). We haven't heard anything useful about a Mac version of Civ V yet. For the record, Civ V is now the only game I am interested in that only runs on the PC -- once the Mac version is out, I can finally delete my Windows partition.

Civ IV was ported by Asypr. It was late and terrible, and I ended up buying the PC version and dual-booting. If they were given the job, it had better be free. No way they are getting more of my money.

Generally, when you buy a game on Steam that has both a Windows and Mac version, you can use either one. So when it's released for OSX, you should have access to the OSX version.

Civ IV was ported by Asypr. It was late and terrible, and I ended up buying the PC version and dual-booting.

That's what I was doing for Civ 4 as well, I am hoping Elephant Rider is right and I could possibly delete my Windows partition, (though I may keep it around for a rainy day).

And in case somebody here is wondering why they should have brought out the Mac version at the same time as the PC version, like Valve and Blizzard do, check these fresh numbers:

One in five PCs sold in the United States is a Mac, making up 20.67% of U.S. consumer market share, and bringing in triple the amount of money the Mac has earned since fiscal year 2005

One in five computers sold. Those are a lot of customer that Firaxis is missing out on.

I run on a high end Mac Book Pro.

I run Civ5 via a straight boot to Windows via bootcamp. No way I'd go MacOS if I had to buy it again.

Even if it were free for a Steam owner, ports are suspect for solid games. I wouldn't touch a port of this game in its current state.

Same thing with TF2 and other products. I could play it on the Mac, but it doesn't work as well, so I don't. Don't know if it's the NVidia drivers or what.

Ironic, because for virtualization (Linux) - MacOS is the only way to go from an I/O throughput standpoint.

Whether ciV is steamplay or not is completely up to 2K. (steamplay is the brand that means you get all versions of the game from purchasing once). Hopefully they will do the right thing and make it steamplay.

Same thing with TF2 and other products. I could play it on the Mac, but it doesn't work as well, so I don't. Don't know if it's the NVidia drivers or what.

Valve did the port themselves; the problem as Valve has stated is the OS X platform itself. They're working with Apple to improve performance and Apple just released an update not too long ago for Snow Leopard that did just that (somewhat). I'd look for their next OS update to make things even better.

Apple has been optimizing drivers for stability until now, speed was very secondary. Windows users care deeply about speed, but have been brainwashed into believing it is normal for computers to crash all the time (Macs do crash, of course, but far less; Valve has some numbers about how much more stable Portal is with OS X than Windows, but I forgot the details). Now, Mac users are suddenly demanding speed, too, so Apple is working with Valve to make that aspect better. They are not there yet, though.

For the record, Left 4 Dead 2 works just fine on my MacBook Pro 15" i5, as does StarCraft 2.

Top Bottom